Good home workouts for beginners

Options
Hey

I am just starting out in my journey into the world of fitness and health and want to get some ideas of workouts i can do to get me started.

6 years ago i used to go for trail walks, running, circuits, some weights, but i get breathless now just walking up stairs.

Any tips?

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    when i started i could barely walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes without feeling like I was dying - but alas - now I can workout for a solid 2 hours and I'm good! Do something you like doing -- go for walks, go to the gym -- the stairclimber is killer but it's great! bike, treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer, whatever floats your boat... but you should definitely also incorporate strength training.... so important, for many reasons! you don't want to be skinny fat! :) good luck!

sw: 303.4 (1/1/11)
    cw: 199
    Lost 104.4lbs.
    gw: 160
    stats: 29 y/o female, 5'6''
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix streaming they have a good variety of workout videos on the site- I like them because I get bored with workouts easily and you can mix it up. They have quite a few "10 Minute Solution" videos...5 different 10 minute workouts per video, you can do as many or as few as you want. And you can really modify them to your level.
    Good luck!
  • jess_kain
    Options
    When I first started, I did Tae Bo : )
  • katelafitty
    Options
    idea's are now spinning round my head

i have a kinect too, but i don't know if i should use it for workouts
  • onegoalabs
    Options
    Start walking about 45 minutes 5 times a week for now. You'll figure everything out the longer you stay on MFP. :)
  • katelafitty
    Options
    i think i will walk a few times a week... but like the lady above says i should do resistance work.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Just Dance is a killer workout, especially if you can't dance like me lol. You can find a lot of workouts on www.bodybuilding.com or youtube that you can do at home.
  • rede2losemore
    Options
    Just try some very simple circut stuff in the beginning. some squats against walls sit ups try push ups light weight curls just do simple things calf raises while doing dishes :) gl
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    I'm not sure at what level you are at, but Just Dance 2 or 3 for Kinnect are pretty good (and fun). For a beginner video, I like Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's. You can looking at samples of her videos on www.collagevideo.com. Also, treadmill walking or mall walking would be good if you are just starting out. And check out videos from your library or Netflix.
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well Kate, if this almost 45 year old that has put 20 lbs from prednisone can do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, so can you...It was intense but I read alot of good things about it..I was always an active person, zumba, gym, work out videos, biking, roller bladding but I put 20 lbs on in the last 1 1/2 yr from prednisone and it is so hard carrying extra weight and the fact that I am exhausted after working all day so hard to push myself but when I do it, no matter what exercise I feel so much better. You know your body better than anyone start slow and work up to more. Good Luck and we are all in this together and here to help one another :smile: Danyelle