Eating out

Options
nkessen
nkessen Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone have any ideas on what to eat if you have to eat out daily? My work doesn't really allow me to bring my lunch everyday.

I have many options available to me, but just need ideas. I noticed so many things high in sodium.

Replies

• vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    my advice would be to go to the restaurants website and look up the nutritional information for different choices on the menu...that way you know what you are getting into before you go there, and you can pre plan your meals.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out every day, but I do eat out often. I usually check out the restaurant website before I go and see what the low cal choices are. I then try to stick to only those. Watch out for salads. They can be misleading. Grilled chicken seems to be safe at most places. I really dont worry about my sodium cause I dont have problems with that so I cant help you there. Hope this helps. You can also ask for no dressing, no condiments, things to be cooked plain. Once you get in the habit it is easy and the restaurants usually have no trouble complying.
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    If you get a salad, ask for the salad dressing on the side and just dip each forkful in the dressing lightly. Salad dressing can do major damage to a diet.:wink:
  • roxie17
    roxie17 Posts: 71
    Options
    If you get a salad, ask for the salad dressing on the side and just dip each forkful in the dressing lightly. Salad dressing can do major damage to a diet.:wink:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Places with a salad bar are good because you can pick and choose what to put on your plate. Also, many restaurants have a healthy option or two for us dieters/choosy eaters :flowerforyou:
  • megmryan
    megmryan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Best website ever! www.dottisweightlosszone.com Scroll down to restaraunts. You can find almost any place or find something close to it. I go there all the time before eating out. Also the Eat This, Not That! books have a lot of places as well. Good luck!!
  • megmryan
    megmryan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Or just type in www.dwlz.com It's easier to type
  • sehhand
    sehhand Posts: 9
    Options
    I had difficulty with this when I started dieting. However, I got a great tip that thankfully I love. Some eating out tips....

Salad Bars are great if you stick to lettuce, vegetables and one protein--no dressing or just vinegar

Try filling foods e.g. Soup is great but can be high in Sodium. However, trick---if you can cut it with water, or load it with veggies. Avoid cream soups.

If you crave it, get it and only eat a half. It really works, I usually only eat 1/4.

Ask at the cafeteria or sub shop---if it can be served with low sodium or no msg --Many Chinese and Thai restaraunts do this--I was amazed when I asked and without flinching it was an option.
    i.e., pad thai

Try to eat filling foods---You would be surprised at how few calories it takes to be full when you are eating a protein or starch. Be careful of carbs, but don't be frightened--I started doing baked potatoes and cut my calorie intake at lunch in half.