Greetings from the "Deep-Fried" South

Options
Hi! I'm a 33yr homeschooling mom of three. I have an awesome life and family. Trying to do this again but differently! No time frames and no diet. No beating myself this time. I'm working on doing better each day and seeing what happens. Permantly changing my attitude about food. Challenging myself to take baby steps and not throw in the towel when life happens to get sticky.

Living in the land of comfort food is a challenge in itself. I'm great at comforting! Pull up a rocker and a glass of sweet (or sudo-sweetened) tea! I'd love to get to know ya'll! :happy:

Replies

• sarammorgan
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me.
  • nawazarrio
    nawazarrio Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    27 here in northern New York. You can tell by my ticker that I've got a long way to go. I've decided that I'm going to be dedicated this time though! XD This battle can be won. I will do it and if you fight hard you can do it too. :)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Howdy... I grew up in TX, so I know what you mean about "deep-fried". I didn't you you could have eggplant any other way until I was about 22. And I still say grits are best on day 2... and FRIED.

At any rate, it's hard to make good choices with all that yummy, but terrible-for-you food around all the time.

I live in Colorado now, but I work for the military and I'm surrounded with people who "aren't from here" and they LOVE to eat and drink. We have at least 1 pot luck a week and I'm trying so hard to substitute my go-to pot-luck recipes (creamy mayo jalapeno dip, queso, dump cake, baked potato salad with bacon, deviled eggs with bacon, etc...) with healthy ones but it's just so easy to do the old stuff because that's already in my head and I don't even have to think when I go to the grocery.

Would love to have you as a friend if you're game! Jen
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    welcome and best of luck!! feel free to add me too!!
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and anyone else, please add me, new on here myself!
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am from the south also I think learning how to cook without frying, or using tons of butter is the hardest thing for me. I need recipes!!!!!!!!!! I am making it since I am in SoCal now and the food is not the same here but i am a stay at home mom and wife, and cook every night. My husband is starving since I no longer cook Mashed potatoes Macaroni cheese potato salad, fried chicken Etc. if you are from the south you know what I mean. I just do not know how to cook differently so Help please. Feel free to add me as friend I need all I the support i can get. This time I am doing it for me. :)
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Girl you know I still drink sweet tea. that is my one vice i will not turn loose of LOL
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You can add me...I am a southern gal too.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    sweet tea vodka is whats up!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! Finding healthy meals for the family has been a challenge and we southerners could use all the support that we can get.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not technically from the south (Arizona) but raised by the most wonderful comfort food making Mississippi Mom in the world! So I can definately relate to comfort food! Sounds like you are making the right decisions to do this for the long haul. That is how I am looking at it too, just wish I had done it at your age! I'm 50, mother of three 20, 18 and 16. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I would be happy to be a shoulder to lean on!
  • rcbaker5114
    Options
    hi yall my name is Christine and i'm 26 years old, i work full time and have three of the the pretties little girls you will ever see!!! they are 3, 2, and 6 months. I live in Arkansas. this is my first time to really try to loose weight and get into shape i would love to have some friends on my list that can help me when i'm having a hard time and that i can do the same for them:smooched :flowerforyou:
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love the last part of your post :)
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 born and raised in Arkansas. We have deep fried everything (even ice cream lol) at the fair and other events. So I know all about being "deep-fried".
  • southerngirl89
    southerngirl89 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Iam from one and only LoneStar State! ...Feel free to add to me also
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Hi...deep fried south here too. Hubby had a heart attack the night the Saints lost to the 49's. BIG wake up call. He is doing so great now. We have decided its time for a change. I got one of those new George Foreman grills (the one you can take the grill plates off and clean them in the sink) and we have been cooking everything on there. The hardest part is no fast food. We are losing weight and exercising (new bikes). I am loving this sight. It makes it easier to keep track of calories and makes me happy to add calories when I exercise. Some days I find it hard to eat enough!!! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend!

16838561.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mlosesweight
    Options
    hi from south carolina! feel free to add me :)
  • Zumbaeng
    Zumbaeng Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You had me at deep fried. I have three kids too. You can add me. :flowerforyou:
  • MomDaze3
    Options
    Ya'll are all so awesome! Thanks for such a warm welcome.
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi! i'm a sahm of two in Canada - grew up eating lots of donuts! Then I lived on the West coast for awhile and learned to love fish, tofu, etc. Feel free to add me! And any other SAHMs out there can add me too - the more the merrier, eh?!