so i injured my knee running :/, rant...

Options
so I run on an indoor track, and for about the past month or so I have been running roughly 6 miles a day at a decent rate of 7 mins or so per mile. I take a 2 min break between each mile to stretch some more and get water. Well yesterday I was doing into the curve, and I leaned, putting all my weight on my outer leg (left leg) and bam, the knee makes a pop noise and I start limping :/. I was not able to finish my six miles yesterday, only got 2 and a half done. So, I went and bought a knee brace to wear to help me not injure it any further. Well earlier today my knee felt great so I went running with the brace, after a mile it felt good, half way through the second mile it started hurting again. :/ this really sucks haha. So i am thinking take the rest of the week off wear the brace and hope that every gets better. I am just disappointed because I have never been much a person who would like running or working out and now when I am finally enjoying it, I can't do it.

but that is the end of my rant hah.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Although my injury which sounds exactly the same happened playing soccer. I play soccer two nights a week and it I didn't take enough of a break and hurt it even furthur. Ice 3-4 times a day for about 4 days and afterward when it feels swollen. Ibuprofen every four hours for a couple days to help with swelling. A brace will definately help, one with straps, and hinges preferably. Take a week off for sure and start slow getting back into it. I have been running straight on a treadmill for about 3 weeks just fine but soccer and INsanity I still can't do. Be patient, because if you arent you are likely to rip tendon, ligament, or muscle whatever it is you hurt. Hope that helps and feel free to add me if you have questions.

- JoAnna
  • Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tore my MCL last winter sledding (of all things). It took months before I could even put pressure on it, let alone run. It was torture. Don't push yourself to get back, and if it's not better soon, get it checked out just in case.
  • alexa_ann
    alexa_ann Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I second the brace with hinges. I'm training to run a 5k and I had an injury that left me unable to walk for about 2 months.
    I pop an advil about an hour before I run, and use a heating pad to heat my knee for about 30 minutes, then after my run I ice it for 30 minutes and it really seems to help!
    Good luck, hope the knee feels better soon!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I had a foot injury in Sept that kept me from running for 6 weeks. It was hell. Hang in there, and rest up. One thing I learned was everytime I overdid it, I took two steps back in the healing process.
  • sboskovi
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Although my injury which sounds exactly the same happened playing soccer. I play soccer two nights a week and it I didn't take enough of a break and hurt it even furthur. Ice 3-4 times a day for about 4 days and afterward when it feels swollen. Ibuprofen every four hours for a couple days to help with swelling. A brace will definately help, one with straps, and hinges preferably. Take a week off for sure and start slow getting back into it. I have been running straight on a treadmill for about 3 weeks just fine but soccer and INsanity I still can't do. Be patient, because if you arent you are likely to rip tendon, ligament, or muscle whatever it is you hurt. Hope that helps and feel free to add me if you have questions.

- JoAnna

Yeah luckily, the swelling is not too noticeable but it is present. I am just going to ice it for like 30 mins a day or so and wear the brace. I looked at the brace with the hinges and it just seemed more than I needed, so I just got the one that wraps around the knee and you can tighten it. It seems to be doing a pretty good job haha. I really hope it all heals up faster.
    I tore my MCL last winter sledding (of all things). It took months before I could even put pressure on it, let alone run. It was torture. Don't push yourself to get back, and if it's not better soon, get it checked out just in case.

That sounds rough, and yeah sledding, common now hah. Don't scare me haha the thought of not being able to get back to the track is just a buzz kill. Yeah, I am definitely not going to be pushing myself to run for the rest of the week, and once I feel no pain in the knee without the brace, I will go for a light jog and see where it goes from there.
    I second the brace with hinges. I'm training to run a 5k and I had an injury that left me unable to walk for about 2 months.
    I pop an advil about an hour before I run, and use a heating pad to heat my knee for about 30 minutes, then after my run I ice it for 30 minutes and it really seems to help!
    Good luck, hope the knee feels better soon!

I am worried about not being able to run and you could not walk, your situation is a lot worse than mine haha. Yeah, I really do not liking using any pills, but I will definitely ice my knee after the runs whenever I start running again just incase something is starting to get injured and I don't notice it.
    I had a foot injury in Sept that kept me from running for 6 weeks. It was hell. Hang in there, and rest up. One thing I learned was everytime I overdid it, I took two steps back in the healing process.

That's awful, hope your foot is doing better. Yeah that is exactly what I am doing it's just so disappointing haha.