Ok, so how does BMR vs goal intake work??

Options
Ok, so my BMR is 1448 calories, and the goal MFP has me at right now is 1450. Can someone explain to me how i lose weight on that? I'm having a brain f@rt. lol I thought it was set at a deficit? Right now, I am not exercising, please don't judge on that - I know the value of exercising.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    your bmr is what you should eat a day, no less. you will loose b/c if you set yourself to maintain the number is higher and you should have a deficit from that number to loose.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Still kind of confusing lol Thank you for your reply!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing BMR with TDEE. BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body burns just to survive, performing normal bodily functions like breathing and circulation.....think, in a coma.

BMR does NOT take into account any type of activity. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the amount of calories you expend in a day because you are NOT in a coma. If you are a normally sedentary person (desk job, etc.), your TDEE is generally calculated at about 20% higher than your BMR. If you are more active than that, your TDEE would be higher.

MFP doesn't necessarily show you your TDEE, but does use that to calculate your deficit.
  • dsewell40
    dsewell40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was curious about that too. Thank you.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think you are confusing BMR with TDEE. BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the amount of calories your body burns just to survive, performing normal bodily functions like breathing and circulation.....think, in a coma.

BMR does NOT take into account any type of activity. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the amount of calories you expend in a day because you are NOT in a coma. If you are a normally sedentary person (desk job, etc.), your TDEE is generally calculated at about 20% higher than your BMR. If you are more active than that, your TDEE would be higher.

MFP doesn't necessarily show you your TDEE, but does use that to calculate your deficit.

Thank you! I think that was confusing me. :) Thanks for making that more clear, I appreciate it!