Weak nails....

Options
This is a bit off topic but I thought someone would know..
I stopped biting my nails after 23 years..... 6 weeks ago, I had about 5mm of nail and now they are at the tips of my fingers (almost)
They are very bendy, weak and peel off. Also the skin around them is sore.
Does anyone know what I can take to help strengthen my nails?
thnks

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I just started taking a pre-natal vitamin again. It's helped me in the past. Someone on my list also recommended Cetaphil (I think that's what it's called).
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It's not. It's called perfectil. Sorry about that.
  • karenCalandro
    Options
    I take hair skin and nail vitamins. Jello is a good thing to eat to strengthen your nails. You can also get some "Sally Hanson Triple Strong Advanced Gel Nail Fortifier
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    OPI has a great nail strengthener you can get on Sephora's website, it's $9 and amazing!
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    I cant use nail polishes, I have a sally hansen one and because my nails have ridges from have acrylic tips the nail polish just bubbles and peals off... hence wanting something to take :smile:
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I read to paint them with clear iodine. I got some at the Walgreens here in MD. Google it. Here is one link I just found quickly. I used it for a while and I think it helped. My nails are strong right now but I have a problem with them once I start using polish. It always weakens them and they end up a mess again.

http://www.beautiful-healthy-fingernails.com/white-iodine.html
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    It's not. It's called perfectil. Sorry about that.
    Thanks, looking it up now
  • healthbunny
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough healthy fats and you can buy nail polish and remover with strengthner in :) Putting a layer nail polish on will make your nails less bendy anyway. :D
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS to kicking that habit- I gnawed on mine till they were bloody stumps {STRESS reliever}
    and although I damaged the nail beds, I can grow them long enough that they look pretty and feminine.
    That's as tough a habit to break as any.

Calcium and Vit A supplements are a good start.

Take care of your hands while using harsh chemicals (cleaning products)= use rubber gloves as much as possible.
    Keep your cuticles softened with lotion too.
  • sumjoy
    sumjoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had that problem all my life and then I accidentally discovered (due to gel polish) that all I had to do was put a drop of cuticle or light-weight essential oil (such as jojoba, sunflower, almond, olive, etc) along my cuticles after I showered every day. Now they're strong and flexible, and my cuticles look good, too.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The OPI one is more of a treatment than a nail polish. but you could also take a Vitamin E supplement too.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Also keeping them moisturized has helped me a tad bit. I use a nail oil to brush over the nail bed when I do not have nail polish on, and I brush the cuticles once a day with the oil.
  • kauaibaby
    kauaibaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Biotin capsules. Great for your hair and nails. And my hairdresser friend says lots of gelatin/jello. Sugar free of course!
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    I had that problem all my life and then I accidentally discovered (due to gel polish) that all I had to do was put a drop of cuticle or light-weight essential oil (such as jojoba, sunflower, almond, olive, etc) along my cuticles after I showered every day. Now they're strong and flexible, and my cuticles look good, too.
    I use a cuticle oil, I keep it in the car and put it on every time I drive (2/3 x a day) lol it's the only place I remember to do it
  • littlebigsteve
    littlebigsteve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I stopped biting my nails a few months ago and I had similar problems :( I started taking biotin (in the vitamin aisle) and using nailtiques nail protein (it's a clear "polish" and it won't bubble or peel easily). I've noticed a HUGE improvement in my nail length and strength.

the skin around my nails is still in need of help, but I've been using a nail and cuticle oil called solar oil (?) and it's helping. along with drinking lots of water and staying hydrated!
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I found my nails got stronger and less brittle after I started taking vitamin D3.
  • Lululucyloo
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS to kicking that habit- I gnawed on mine till they were bloody stumps {STRESS reliever}
    and although I damaged the nail beds, I can grow them long enough that they look pretty and feminine.
    That's as tough a habit to break as any.

Calcium and Vit A supplements are a good start.

Take care of your hands while using harsh chemicals (cleaning products)= use rubber gloves as much as possible.
    Keep your cuticles softened with lotion too.
    I will start taking calcium actually cause I have very little dairy as it does not agree with me
    and I absolutely need to wear gloves as I do cleaning jobs of a night time for extra money and do not wear gloves :0( thanks
  • Murlin54
    Options
    "HINTS FROM HELOISE -- White iodine will rebuild nail strength

A daily application of white iodine on your fingernails for one week will help strengthen them. After the first week, use only once a week. This is not a case of more is better; do not continue to use white iodine on your fingernails every day, or they will become too brittle. It might take several weeks to see any improvement if your nails are paper-thin from using a primer on them (for acrylics) or from being roughed up so the nail products would adhere better.

Since white iodine is relatively inexpensive and easy to use, it's the perfect “help” for soft, damaged fingernails.

Avoid using hydrogen peroxide (or anything containing it) while using white iodine; these two products “don't get along” and can cause your fingernails to turn orange. Also, clean an old fingernail-polish brush with polish remover, and use this to easily apply the iodine to your nails." from http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=894604

I just used a cue tip to apply to my nails.
  • Murlin54
    Options
    Q-tip (I knew that looked wrong, lol)