How do I know FOR SURE how many calories I burn?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It's all an estimate, but if you're getting the results you want, it's close enough to right.
  • lungry1980
    Options
    OK, while we are on this note, what do you like most about your PolarFT60, Polar FT4F, or fit bit??? I cant decide which one to get.

Thanks!! :happy:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    OK, while we are on this note, what do you like most about your PolarFT60, Polar FT4F, or fit bit??? I cant decide which one to get.

nothing. i have the Polar FT7 :)
  • lungry1980
    Options

I guess I know which one to NOT buy! Thanks!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Accurately? You need a portable oxygen analyzer. They're about $40,000.

But a $100 HRM will get you pretty close too.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, it was under $60 and it does the job, nothing fancy! I was going by what my elliptical said for awhile and I was GROSSLY overestimating my calories.......it was actually almost half of what the elliptical said!! Bodytronics.com has great prices if you are looking to get an HRM...............:bigsmile:
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

For me, I like my FT60. Have had it for almost 2 years now. Has a chest strap, has a test that measures your oxygen intake (to setup prior to using), doesn't beep at me if I'm not "in the zone" haha. It was a little pricey when I got it ($160 I think from ebay), but I've certainly gotten good use out of it!! Well worth it!
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

I guess I know which one to NOT buy! Thanks!!!

no problem! ill just sit here enjoying the hell out of my awesome FT7 for the both of us :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Accurately? You need a portable oxygen analyzer. They're about $40,000.

Can I buy this off ebay?
  • This is a very common question! The cardio machines, like a treadmill calculate your caloric expenditure by the information you put into it...not very accurate at all. A heart rate monitor will also calculate your caloric expenditure but will be closer to accuracy since when you set up the watch, you have to input your information and uses the help of your heart rate. But once again, it's just a formula, and the more information is put into the device, the more accurate. However, if you really want to know exactly how your body burns its calories (more specifically, what types of calories, carbs or fat) then I would suggest doing a Exercise Metabolic Assessment. It's measured accurately because you are but on a cardio machine while having an oxygen mask on, so it takes in account your volume of carbon dioxide produced as well as your volume of oxygen consumed, while monitoring your heart rate too. You can go to www.newleaffitness and do a search of locations around you that have this equipment. 
  • That1JB
    Options
    Scheeeze!
    MFP: 42 minutes, 394 Cals
    Elliptical: 42 minutes, 248 Cals
    Omron 2D pedometer: 32 minutes, 118 Cals/42 minutes, 130 Cals. The ped starts counting AFTER 10 minutes of aerobic activity. The mileage matches on the elliptical & the ped. Adding that info to the post about about HRMs running at half the cals of machine readings, it looks like my ped just might be "fairly" accurate.

Again I say, scheeze!