Death in the family

Options
Hey Everyone,
I haven't been on here in over a week.....Last Wednesday my grandfather passed away. It has been the worse thing that I had to ever experience. In this, I never quit smoking like i said and have gained weight.....I just need some words of encouragement to get back up on my feet. I am just ready for things to be normal again!!

Thanks to all:frown:

Replies

• snoozen29
    snoozen29 Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather, that type of loss can be hard, but you still need to take care of yourself!!!! You may have fallen off of the horse, but get back on and GIDDEE UP!! Enjoy your ride!!
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Oh, Laura,
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It is ok to take the time you need to mourn. Don't beat yourself up for what you haven't gotten to just yet. You will!! So, mourn him in the way he would want you to. No more emotional eating. (Easier said than done!!) Go for a walk, have a chat with him (in your mind.) :-)
    I believe he is still with you and supporting you, just as we all are.

Good luck to you!!
    -kathy
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I looooove you!!! :heart:
  • timeforchange
    Options
    Laura,
    I want to share my experience with you so you can learn from my mistakes. In 2006 my mom passed away and I gained 35 lbs in under 6 months. I was out of control. My family is Italian so cooking large meals and sitting around the table with family is like therapy. I was constantly saying to myself "I'll start watching my weight when I feel better".. BUT, now I realize the reason I was never "feeling better" was because I was disappointing myself. We all need time to grieve, and your families loss is still so new that you are allowed to be feeling down, but this is just one more obstacle in life that you are going to tackle. So take it from me, don't let the death in your family be your excuse to be unhealthy, because with an unhealthy body comes an unhealthy heart and mind. Stick to your healthy habits and decisions to help yourself heal. It WILL make you feel better. I promise.
    Take care of yourself,
    Lindsey
  • cisgeek
    cisgeek Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi folks,
    One of my sister's died in March '09 of cancer; she was only 41. It has been difficult with her passing but things are going well for now with me. A friend from work showed me this site today and I am excited to be here. I think it will be handy and useful to access every day to track my food intake and exercise. I started meeting with a fitness trainer for guidance about 6 weeks ago. I meet with him once a week. The goal with him was to get back into exercise and proper diet. It's been many years since I have had a significant and rigourous exercise program. But, with the new plan, I hope to get back into the swing of things.. meaning, even though I'm going once a week with the trainer, I haven't yet begun to start my physical exercise plan at home. Although, I have been focusing more on my poor eating habits and he has been very helpful in that. So at least my eating habits are changing. Every time I'm exercising and feel the need to quit early or if I can't do another rep, I think about my sister. Even though she has passed and her death was by cancer, her death still inspires me to move on and push even harder. Even though you may have lost a family member, use that experience to push yourself even harder, like I am doing. Now, if I can only motivate myself to get more exercise in every day, I'll be better off and be able to lose the second person that has been on my back for so many years. Nice to be here and thanks Pam for referrring me!
  • hellocc
    hellocc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    this is a most difficult time for you. I too am going thru this sad time, my sister was told one month ago that she has cancer, had surgery and now it has spread all over her body, she is 68.
    People that have not experienced this are very kind to express their sympthay as I have always done as a nurse but to actually go thru this is so different. Our heart ache so badly .
    hang onto all the fun memories u have of shared with him. Let the tears flow when they need to, that is God's way of healing the heart. Then focus on the fun u had, laughing at silly things, the fun times u shared on his birthday, Christmas, remember the special gift u gave him and how he smiled, that picture will make u smile too. how proud he must have been when u were born or when u graduated from high school.
    And remember your grandfather died with one of the greatest gifts , your love and respect.

I too have not done well over the past week but I also know that the time will come when I will be able to get back on track, just like u will
    . It may not be the best thing for us that we are eating alittle too much but do not beat yourself up for it, it can be a natural feeling of sadness
    I will keep u in my prayers. God will fill you with feeling of peace and a joy that your grandfather is now in His loving care
    hellocc
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss but you will come back from this, you do need time to mourn but you need to take care of yourself at the sametime. I've never personally been through that but I can tell you that I live down the street from my grandparents and they are def up there. I can only hope for the same courage to try to get myself on track so soon as I am very close to my grandparents. My prayers are with your family at this difficult time, just remember this too shall pass:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your grandfather. Getting back into a routine may make you feel better, but if you can't get right back into things, just go easy on yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We had a family member pass away last winter, and I sometimes found that I really appreciated the endorphins that came with exercise. I felt like exercise was the little boost I needed to just blast some music and fully focus on something else other than sadness.

I wish you all the best, and I am so sorry for your loss.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about the death of your grandfather. I know it is hard but you can do this.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather I pray that you have family and friends who will love and support you through this hard time. I know how difficult it is to lose a Grandparent, especially when you are close.
    Know that your friends here are praying for you. Be sure to take time to take care of You.

Jeannie
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure your grandfather would want you to take care of yourself, I find running very theraputic.
  • missymae_82
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My daughter passed away 6 weeks ago and I know how hard it is. Take care of yourself and keep your chin up!! I'm here if you ever need to talk!
  • hellocc
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    Just a note to let u know I am thinking of u and wondering how u are doing? I pray things are looking up for u and that your memories are filling your heart with joy and peace
    hugs
    cc
  • hellocc
    Options
    Hi,
    i just read your email to Laura. My heart goes out to u and your family.
    how special of you that u took the time to uplift her when your heart is hurting so much.
    As i shared with Laura, memories never leave us. When those sad times appear, focus on the joy u felt when she was born, or how about her first steps and that prideful look that she must have had. Or how your heart leaped when she first spoke your name. Feel those hugs and kisses, keep them tightly wrapped in your mind and heart.
    It is so hard to understand why God would call someone so young and we will never know until we too are called. your child is safe now, in HIs loving arms.
    let those tears flow when needed then replace them with all those joyful times u shared with her.
    How special that God used u to share with another person hurting, wow
    hugs
    cc