Heart Rate Monitor Question

Options
What is a good and cheap heart rate monitor? I've never had one before but I think I would like to have one. Please give me some suggestions and advice.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Use the search feature and look for HRM & heart rate monitor - heaps of topics full of info, opinions and links on what everyone likes or dislikes about the various models out there. Figure out what you want, then look them up on Amazon & read the customer reviews there - more good info. Then, if the price is good, get the one you like, or check eBay for new models - you can score great deals there too. :wink:
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I did my fair share of research when I was looking & it seemed that the Polar models were always the top choice (for me). I ended up getting a FT60, but I've heard a lot of others are good as well. Would suggest getting one w/ a chest strap for sure (they're more accurate).
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 with a chest strap. There's a lot of folks who like the Polar FT4. Check for sales online or coupon codes. But I also suggest searching the message boards for HRM. Tons of topics on it.
  • jess_kain
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!! Never had any problems with it!
  • Coming from someone that has worked and sell various different heart rate models from different vendors, I would suggest a Polar product. They are the cheapest while being as accurate as possible for the price. That is if you are going for a watch type of heart rate monitor. However, if you have a iPhone, then hands down, the lowest cost while giving all the functionality of a $400 dollar Garmin watch (for the price of $100 to $150), plus the most user-friendly component out there, get the Digifit component. If you want additional information about this, just let me know and I will be happy to help.
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone that has worked and sell various different heart rate models from different vendors, I would suggest a Polar product. They are the cheapest while being as accurate as possible for the price. That is if you are going for a watch type of heart rate monitor. However, if you have a iPhone, then hands down, the lowest cost while giving all the functionality of a $400 dollar Garmin watch (for the price of $100 to $150), plus the most user-friendly component out there, get the Digifit component. If you want additional information about this, just let me know and I will be happy to help.

More info please! I am buying a new phone tomorrow and I am seriously considering the iPhone. I also need a new heart rate monitor, so if I'm able to get the iphone and not have to buy the monitor, I'd be a very happy girl!!!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What is a good and cheap heart rate monitor? I've never had one before but I think I would like to have one. Please give me some suggestions and advice.

Good and Cheap does not compute...

I use Polar FT7
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have the Polar FT4 and LOVE it, also has the chest strap (very comfortable), noticed a huge difference in actual calories that I burned when I started using it compared to what MFP said I was burinig! I bought mine threw bodytronics.com for $58.79 using promo code POPO!! Good luck!!
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use the FT60 Polar HRM. I dont think good and cheap go together. You may not get an accurate reading. Look for one that has you put in a lot of data to get your results.
  • cmel6334
    cmel6334 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE IT!! Never had any problems with it!

^^^^Me too.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Scientific-SE102-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000F5AG36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330185106&sr=8-2

I have this one and my best friend does as well. We both swear by it. I think you can get it on ebay for 32.00.
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    Coming from someone that has worked and sell various different heart rate models from different vendors, I would suggest a Polar product. They are the cheapest while being as accurate as possible for the price. That is if you are going for a watch type of heart rate monitor. However, if you have a iPhone, then hands down, the lowest cost while giving all the functionality of a $400 dollar Garmin watch (for the price of $100 to $150), plus the most user-friendly component out there, get the Digifit component. If you want additional information about this, just let me know and I will be happy to help.

More info please! I am buying a new phone tomorrow and I am seriously considering the iPhone. I also need a new heart rate monitor, so if I'm able to get the iphone and not have to buy the monitor, I'd be a very happy girl!!!
    Yes - more info on the Iphone - is there an app or what???:wink:
  • ravensfan1
    ravensfan1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT7 and love it. It's definitely more accurate with calories burned than MFP.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I did my fair share of research when I was looking & it seemed that the Polar models were always the top choice (for me). I ended up getting a FT60, but I've heard a lot of others are good as well. Would suggest getting one w/ a chest strap for sure (they're more accurate).

Ditto this. Every bit of it.

Between reading the forums here, and doing research of my own, along with reading customer reviews on Amazon, the Polar FT60 was the one I decided on, too. I absolutely love it. Money well spent.
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7and LOVE it! I got mine at ****s on sale for 56.99 and it usually sells for 109.00 However, I think mine had the wrong price tag lol. I about fainted when I checked out and they told me the price
  • swall0810
    swall0810 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7and LOVE it! I got mine at ****s on sale for 56.99 and it usually sells for 109.00 However, I think mine had the wrong price tag lol. I about fainted when I checked out and they told me the price

I guess D I C K S is not allowed on MFP??? Its a sporting goods store... sheesh..