Treadmill or Walking

Options
When you go on the treadmill say at 3.5mph for 45 min do you log it as walking 3.5mph or the treadmill??? Does it matter or make a difference?

Replies

• beach_chelle
    Options
    I would say yes because I believ jogging starts at 4-4.5 if I remember correctly.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    If you are interested I would say look into an app called ease into 5k also known as c25k. It is a great beginner run app. It is a paid app but I do think there may be free ones out there . In just 4 weeks I have gone from barely able to run for 30 seconds to running for 6 minutes and in just 5 more weeks I should be able to run a 5k in under 30 minutes.
  • gbargsley
    Options
    The treadmills I use have 2.0 - 4.0 as walking, 4.0 - 6.0 as jogging and 6.0 and up running.
  • Paige_me
    Paige_me Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to invest in a heart rate monitor that tracks your calories. I walked at 3.5 on a 15% incline and if I put in what MFP calculate it as it would be 296 calories when in fact I burned 546 calories. That is a huge difference.
    Plus when you workout and don't burn your normal level of calories it helps to motivate you to work harder at getting to your "required" level the next time.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Since there isn't a specific "Treadmill - 3.5mph" I'd just log Walking 3.5mph instead. Walking is walking, whether it be on the treadmill or not. I'd even suggest choosing "Walking - Uphill" if you decide to take your incline up to 5+.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You technically should log it as treadmill if you are using a motorized one. The movement of the motor/belt makes it a smidge easier to walk on a treadmill...aka there is less effort on your part. To account for that always walk on a slight incline...2 or 3. This will give the treadmill workout the equivalent of actually walking and propelling yourself
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Agreed - you should log "treadmill" if you aren't using any incline, but as long as you keep the incline at 1-2 that will make up for the motorized version and take you more to an "outdoor walking" feel - allowing you to log "walking - 3.5mph". This is usually how I do running on the treadmill to mimic running outdoors.