Sciatica any suggestions

Options
Hi - I've had constant but mild discomfort that I think is sciatica. I've continue to run and exercise anyway - but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the best way to get rid of this? I'm hesitant to go to a chiropractor b/c of the expense.

Appreciate any feedback / thoughts.

Replies

• Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a massage therapist and she taught me some stretches during the massage. Now when it starts acting up I just do the stretches for a few days in a row and it helps. You lay on your back and pull your knee up and over to the other side and hold for 15 seconds, the pull it straight back for 15 seconds and then cross over for 15 ad continue for a few sets. Then switch sides (mine only hurts on my left side but I do it on both.)
  • catwomanclaws
    catwomanclaws Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A good massage therapist can help with that. Oh...I just happen to be one! Lol! What I do, and what I tell my clients to do at home, is either get a ball such as a tennis ball...or you can make a fist with your hand...lay on your back on the floor and put the tennis ball or hand into your glute area and keep the pressure into the sore area for about 30 seconds. Release. Wait a moment and do again. You can do multiple times until you feel the area loosening. This can also be done sitting in a chair. You will have to work with it a bit to find the 'sweet spot', so to speak. And...I won't lie...the area can be a bit sore after you do this. Do it every day, or even twice a day. What you are wanting to do is release the tension in the area around the sciatic nerve. Good luck!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are some great stretches that you can do for it.

I've been dealing with it for years but have never been able to control it. I ended up having to give up running because it was so bad.

Now I started Pilates and hope that an increase in core strength will help with that. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer to find out.

No doctor or physical therapist has been able to make it go away.

My best bet is core strength since I am also having problems with my PSOAS.

Again, for acute pain, do a simple stretch of the piriformis muscle (see link for details: http://www.losethebackpain.com/backpainvideos/simplesciaticastretch.html )

You may also consider (if you aren't doing that yet) sleeping with a pillow between your legs if you sleep on your sides.

GL

PM me if you want to talk :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I do go to the chiropractor, but my insurance covers it as preventative maintenance (and you do need to be careful picking one). It helps, especially when that nerve is pinched and I can't walk. The exercise and stretching is the best thing I ever did for it. I can even wear high heels again.
  • frmeital
    Options
    This is a video with an excellent stretch for sciatica, hope it helps:

http://natural-alternative-therapies.com/sciatica-stretch/