C25K

Options
I'm off to the gym and giving C25K a go again. I tried it three weeks ago and I swear I nearly died.

Fingers crossed I will do better this time.

Is there anyone else starting Week 1 this week?

Replies

• PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    First day completed.
    I'm still alive.
    Woohoo!
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did week 2 day 2 this morning. I've pretty much felt like I was going to die the whole time. I do it outside and live in a hilly area... no bueno! Good luck!
  • ntlw12
    Options
    I've "started" this many times... but am now on W2D2 and really feeling good.... I did week 1 for an extra week... just to build up some muscle and endurance... now on off days, I get on the treadmill and do intervals. I am LOVING intervals... and as crazy as it sounds, am kind of excited to go to the gym in a bit and do them ahhaha. who knew?
  • holmevik
    Options
    This program worked great for me, and I am sure it can for you as well. One thing I will say is to take the rest days seriously. If you start overdoing it chances are you will run out of steam or even get injured. Also, I repeated several weeks in the beginning and it helped me get through the program with a smile on my face.

Good luck to you.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I did the C25k program 2 years ago. At that time I could barely run for 5 minutes at a time. I ran my first 1/2 marathon this past fall and am training now for my first full marathon. You will be amazed at how fast you can progress.

As others say, take the rest days seriously and don't get focused on the distance but rather the time. (IE run the interval times at your own pace, the distance will come as you go)

I used a free program I found on the internet with music that had start and stop tones for running/walking on my ipod. One of my employee's used an app for his phone with good success too. I always have to run with music.

Good luck to all those starting the program, it really works. I would have never dreamed I would be running as much as I am now after just a short time.
  • alexa_ann
    alexa_ann Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im on week 4 of c25k and I have to say, I reallllllly was not having fun the first 2 weeks. I would run every other day and my legs were SO SO sore. I found that if I have a protein shake after it gets rid of the soreness.
    Keep it up, Im loving running now, I just had to get through the first 2 week, which was rough for me.
  • holmevik
    Options
    One more thing that I learned. When I started C25K I wasn't used to drinking a lot of water and almost throughout the whole program I had a lot of muscle cramps and pains. Once I realized that I was dehydrated and started upping my water intake things got a whole lot better, and now I always run pain free. Something to think about.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    Finished Wk2 Day2 today and I do it outside and there are some major hills! Today was rough but Day 1 of Wk2 was easy. An awesome MFP told me that some days are easier than others, even if your doing the same thing. Sometimes you just have an off day :)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Did W2D2 last night....Oddly it was harder than W2D1....I might be repeating week 2
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I completed C25K last September/October. I didn't keep up with it so I will be starting again soon with week 3.
  • pirate4hire
    Options
    W1D2 today and felt like dropping. Bad timing of right before lunch combined with skipping breakfast. Just didn't have the energy today.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The key is consistency and patience, follow the program and don't try to progress too quickly The leading cause of running injuries is trying to do too much, too soon, too fast (I speak from experience). If you have to repeat a week do it.

My credentials? A few years ago I could barely run around the block without wanting to die. In 2009 I ran my first 5K (Army Run - Sept 2009) in just under 40 minutes. The following year did it in 26:46 and have since gone on to 10K and half-marathon distances. Last year I completed a duathlon (sprint distance) this year my goals are a triathlon (also sprint) and a sub 2hr half-marathon in the 2012 Army Run. If I can do it anyone can. (you can find my results at http://sportstats.ca/searchResults.xhtml?lastname=sharpe&firstname=brian&city=gatineau&year=&month=0)
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I completed it in November. When I started I could not run 90 seconds without wanting to fall over. I am now training for a marathon in October. Kind of crazy. I ran 13 miles last Saturday! Congrats on giving it another go. It will be great when you say you can say you have completed it. :)
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I am supposed to start week 2, but I am a little worried! Week one was hard at first but I'm excited!
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did W2D2 today! Stretching and drinking lots of water has been a lifesaver for me. I hope that I don't have to repeat any of the weeks...I am planning on running a 5K at the end of March. I really don't care if I run the whole thing...I just want to finish it!
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm doing W1D2 tomorrow. This is my second go at C25k. I started last fall, but only lasted about 5 runs. I didn't have the right shoes and I also wanted to lose a little more weight before continuing. I'm equipped and ready to run this time. Hoping I don't get rained out. I signed up for a 5k obstacle course in August, called Run for Your Life. I'm ecstatic! I feel wired and although my legs hurt from yesterday, I'm ready to go again.

I drink plenty of water on a daily basis, but I think I will start doing the protein shots right after and see if that helps.