I feel defeated...

Options
Day 3 no "real" workout, it's making me feel hopeless, it's not as easy for me as just making time for it, sorry I just had to vent.

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Remember every little bit helps. Even if you just catch a 15 min. walk on a lunch break!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    30 min. is all you need. Do it for yourself and you'll find you will have more energy for the rest of your busy day!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm always struggling too with my husband frequently away on business. I make a point of doing it whenever he's home because I know it's not that often that I get the opportunity.

I'm either going to have to start buying some DVD's or a treadmill, because this just isn't acceptable for me.

You can do it! You just have to want it bad enough.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Remember every little bit helps. Even if you just catch a 15 min. walk on a lunch break!

what she said-
    you DON'T have to workout every day, try for at least 4 a week to start.

As for defeat, it's like being in love - if you think you are, you are. only YOU can defeat you -

you CAN do this - honestly- if I can, you can.

best wishes,
    cricket
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I can sympathize and I only have one child! This is how I constantly felt until January. Then I decided that I had to make time for me. Making time for me and getting healthier is being a responsible parent IMO. I have to get healthier and lose weight to set a good example for my daughter, to be able to be active with her. Thinking about it that way instead of just for vanity reasons has helped me a lot. I still want to be able to look good in a swimsuit this summer, but it's more about my daughter.

That being said, I've had my days where I just don't have time. On those days, I just do a quick 15 minute jog/walk. Or, I'll do squats while ironing. The most important thing is to watch your food on those days.
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I find on days I can't make it to the gym or don't feel like popping in a Jillian DVD that even a 'little' exercise helps! Think- going up & down the stairs a few times or grabbing a mat & doing abs, windmills to get your heart rate moving for a while, etc. I always feel MUCH better after doing at least something even if it's baby steps that day.
    Don't feel defeated!! Tomorrow is a new day :o)
  • lasinbb
    Options
    You can do it!!! You can do it!!! You can do it!!! I'm using the Insanity DVD at home and it is fantastic!! If I do the 10 minute "warm up" a few times I actually burn a lot of calories. You'll find what works for you and your schedule. Keep trying!!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Day 3 no "real" workout, it's making me feel hopeless, it's not as easy for me as just making time for it, sorry I just had to vent.

You are not helpless you just need some fresh ideas!

*If you have access to stairs use them - a few minutes on those will burn some real calories.
    *Dance while you wash dishes, fold laundry etc.
    *Park in the very last spot and take a mini walk in to the store/work/school. It's usually faster than hunting for a 'good' parking space.
    *Do some lunges on the way to put the kids to bed or whatever is on the other side of the house.
    * Do some squats while you watch TV, in the shower, talking on the phone.

:flowerforyou: Most of all just do what you can - and then try to do one more tomorrow!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Try the hula hoop ... I hula hoop in my living room...my 6 year old soon to be step daughter hoops with me when she is here.
  • lasinbb
    Options
    That being said, I've had my days where I just don't have time. On those days, I just do a quick 15 minute jog/walk. Or, I'll do squats while ironing. The most important thing is to watch your food on those days.

Squats while ironing!?!? You, go!!!!!! :=)
  • 67ML67
    Options
    I HEAR YA, SISTA!!! Been struggling with my weight. Want to lose, but do I really???? My actions don't show it. I am just lazy or something....????
  • AliciaJane82
    Options
    I think everyone has a problem finding the time to work out. You just have to end up "making" the time...and it depends on how badly you want to change your lifestyle...skip something else, stay up just a little later, or get up a little earlier. I don't work out at a gym (mainly because they don't have day care and my husband's work hours suck), but really, just doing some awesome videos at home takes a lot less time then getting all ready, driving to the gym, waiting for machines, driving home, etc....You can find the time and there are even some great 20 minute videos to do on the days you really can't spare much extra time at all!
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree! 20-30 min can be a great workout! I promise myself 20 min of "me time" a day to work out and I feel much better after I do. At the beginning, I dreaded my workouts but since I started making myself do it, I actually can't wait to do it and make sure I have my 20 min a day at least. Try a jillian michaels dvd or the C25K program... or even do some jumping jacks and jump rope while watching your favorite tv show (apparently, jumping rope can burn a lot of calories lol).
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Hope this doesn't sound too crazy. I only had 3 and not as close together. It was many years ago and there was no MFP and excercise was usually the best you made of it :smile: One of my fav excercises in those days was DANCING with my babies. They loved it and could ususally dance me under the table. It was woderful quality time and I got plenty of exercise.

As you make the time for that, you will be quite surprised at how well you start making time for more. The hardest part is just getting started. Good luck
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I can sympathize and I only have one child! This is how I constantly felt until January. Then I decided that I had to make time for me. Making time for me and getting healthier is being a responsible parent IMO. I have to get healthier and lose weight to set a good example for my daughter, to be able to be active with her. Thinking about it that way instead of just for vanity reasons has helped me a lot. I still want to be able to look good in a swimsuit this summer, but it's more about my daughter.

AMEN!!!
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Please don't apologize for venting, that's what these forums are for... A Support System (which a good one will listen and then give constructive advice). I empathize with you, I've been dealing with a foot injury for 3 weeks now and most impact sports hurt (I cannot walk without special shoes on right now). I can't swim because of an extreme allergy to the chemicals used in public pools... What does this leave? I don't know, but I've been figuring stuff out to help. I still do my normal workout, but instead of jumping jacks, I just move my hands around.

What has caused you not to be able to work out for three days? We might be able to give a little better advice if we knew more about what kept you from burning the calories.

Good luck! And Vent Vent Vent!!!
  • 44nFab
    44nFab Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't give up! Missing 3 days is not the end of the world and is not the end of your fitness journey.

Make sure your expectations of yourself are realistic for your life as it is currently. You don't mention if you work outside of the home, but it does look like you have a small child. That can make it difficult to make time for you. I know. I have a two year old.

I encourage her to exercise with me. I go into the workout already expecting that I probably won't make it through the whole thing without having to stop and show her how to do the exercise, get her some milk, make sure she washes her hands after using the potty, etc. Expecting those interruptions will free you to do what you can and focus on what you were able to accomplish rather than what you couldn't. 10 minutes of sweat is better than no minutes of sweat.

Remember, every little bit makes a difference. If all you can do is chase your child around all day wearing ankle weights, well that is better than sitting on the sofa eating Krispy Kremes.

Hang in there. Do what you can. Life circumstances will not always hinder your exercise regimen to the extent that they are now. When things change, you can too. :happy:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Go to the park and run around with the kids. Get on treadmill or go for a walk when kids tucked up in bed and hubby can watch them. Do some squats, push-ups, lunges during TV commercial breaks.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's ok to have days off. The only way you won't succeed is if you decide to just keep having days off indefinitely (aka giving up), instead of getting back into your routine. You can have even a week or two off, and then pick up where you left off. Over the last year, I have had a lot of ups and downs with my workouts. Around the holidays I didn't work out for 2 months straight (!!!). If I am not working out like I should, I try to eat better so that I don't gain a lot of weight back. I know that once life settles down, I'll get back into it. I think in order to be successful in losing weight, you have to be able to cut yourself some slack sometimes. Thats true for me at least. Sometimes life gets in the way. There are going to be bad days, and sometimes bad weeks or months. But eventually, your habits will start to change over time so that its just a regular part of your life to make healthy choices and exercise. My favorite work out/weight loss quote is this:

"you don't have to be perfect, just persistent."

Good luck, I hope you stick with it! And there is always lots of support here on the forums for bad days :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The human body survived for years before there were gyms (at least ones that admitted women!) Lots of things you do are a workout. Put on some peppy music and move your whole body while you're doing it and Presto! You're doing Zumba.