CRAMPS!!! Advice PLEASE!!

I need suggestions for preventing cramps. I've been doing the couch to 5k plan, and ever since I got to week 5, which is: 5 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run ,3 min walk, 5 min run.

NOTE: I am NOT a great runner, so this is a challenge for me. I've tried eating bananas before my workout, making sure i'm really hydrated, and I also tried changing my breathing pattern while running. Nothing seems to work and i keep getting those horrible cramps underneath my ribs right by my liver (i think).......is this something i'm just gonna have to deal with until my body gets used to running or is there something i can do???

Any experienced runners out there, PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• Omni2463
    Omni2463 Posts: 36
    I need suggestions for preventing cramps. I've been doing the couch to 5k plan, and ever since I got to week 5, which is: 5 min walk, 5 min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run ,3 min walk, 5 min run.

NOTE: I am NOT a great runner, so this is a challenge for me. I've tried eating bananas before my workout, making sure i'm really hydrated, and I also tried changing my breathing pattern while running. Nothing seems to work and i keep getting those horrible cramps underneath my ribs right by my liver (i think).......is this something i'm just gonna have to deal with until my body gets used to running or is there something i can do???

Any experienced runners out there, PLEASE HELP!!
  • Start eating Bananas !! They are great for providing lots of Potassium which will help prevent cramps. Also make sure you're drinking plenty of Water, about 1 ounce per 2 pounds of body weight per day!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    I know this may sound funny, but you can try a few things...

Drinking warm sugar free jello and sometimes when I get cramps.... I go outside and stand on the concrete barefoot, the coldness helps with cramping....
  • 2kidsandadog
    2kidsandadog Posts: 41 Member
    You could be low in salt. Try an electrolite drink while you are working out , E-LOAD is a good one.
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    When I have cramps I grab the Captain Morgan's...just kidding...Happy April Fools Day!!!

Seriously, a little exercise helps me...

Melissa
  • Omni2463
    Omni2463 Posts: 36
    thanks everyone, I'm gonna try all of your tips!!! And I think i'm def gonna make sure a gt at least one banana a day!! And drink even more water...:drinker:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    I used to get horrible cramps when I ran and it took me several months of running and jogging regularily before they started to fade. If I eat or drink anything within 30 minutes before or during my run I get stomach cramps. I know you're supposed to drink water while working out, but I can't when I run. And now when I do rarely get them, I just have to slow down and breath slowly and deeply through them.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    my track coach told us not drink or et anything dairy before a meet... we drank a ton of water and we didn't eat anything 4 hours before we ran. We ate a snickers in between runs to cure us of hunger. not very healthy i know... but it worked
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Sounds like your breathing is off. Try breathing in thru nose and out thru mouth. Really concentrate on getting a good deep breath in before you slowly let it out. Concentrate when running and walking. Getting adequate oxygen is very important especially when running.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    sodium relieves cramps from exercise. Bananas can help prevent it as well (the potassium). But sodium is the immediate cure. Energy drinks are good for this, but beware, they can contain lots of sugar, make sure you check the label, gatorade is brutally high in sugar. Sometimes I mix water with orange juice or cranberry juice. It has the potassium you need, and the sugar is better then what they put in those energy drinks and many contain a small amount of sodium as well, you'd be surprised how little you need to get rid of cramps. keep it diulted though, as it can be rough to drink those while running.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Been there.

Check your posture. And Breathe.
    My chiropractor told me that I was straining unnesseccarily. When I feel a cramp coming on I remember to check my posture, focus on my breath, and slow down (just a little) for a moment.
    That usually does it for me.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    That is crazy-I too am doing the couch to 5k plan and am on week five! For side cramps, make sure that you are breathing steadily. Sometimes breathing through pierced lips pushes the air down further in your lungs and alleviates this problem. Also, make sure that you are stretching before. I do it after the five minute warm-up when I am a little loosened up. 5k here we come!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I'm with Sonia and Holly... I've always read and been told that abdominal "stitches" are caused by an imbalance in oxygen exchange... back in high school our track coach told us to slow down, place your hand on the location of the stitch, and then exhale forcefully focusing on the area, you want to sort of "blow it out", and then resume a good breathing pattern - I still use that method to this day if I'm sprinting and happen to get one!

Good luck.... let us know which ones work!
    :smile: