cardio BEFORE or AFTER weights????

Options
I recently posted this in another thread by accident so here is a repost, please respond

i would love to hear from others on here what has helped them lose body fat besides eating healthy.. my goal is to lose body fat.. what has worked for you as far as a workout? has Cardio BEFORE doing weights helped or cardio AFTER weights? would love to hear from you all, thanks

Replies

• ShawtyLatina
    ShawtyLatina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I find it's effective when I use my energy to pump it hard in weights first. then I can exhaust the rest of it in cardio. Although your mind needs to always be present, I find i can go on auto sometimes on cardio, whereas weight training takes every thought to keep proper form while pumping out reps. With that said... Every day is it's own. Just gotta listen to the body. if i'm dreading weight lifting one day, then I'll do cardio first to wake up the energy. whateva it takes to not punk out... :)
  • Candikickbutt
    Candikickbutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories doing cardio after strength/weight training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i split it because i hate cardio. I usually do 24 minutes on the versaclimber then weight training. then afterwards i do 21 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill.
  • RichardKeyworth
    Options
    Personal preference to be honest. If your goal is to build muscle mass then before would be better but since thats not your goal quite simply whatever you prefer.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    After, because you'll need more energy to lift weights safely than do cardio safely.
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I always do cardio after lifting.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always do weights after cardio. (Usually because I want to get the cardio out of the way and know it is done.)
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio its before...this is just me!!! I find after the weights I just want to get the hell out of the gym!! I only do cardio when I am planning on running a 5/10K
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    different days, IMHO, if you are doing either properly you should not have the energy to do the other
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I do weights first because I can concentrate on form w/o being exhausted... plus, a nutritionist has told me something to the effect of strength training uses your immediate fuel source whereas going in for cardio afterwards can burn stored fat. I'm not sure how accurate that is but there ya go ;)
  • kman27
    Options
    I do 5-10 mins of cardio as a warm-up, then weights, then an hour of cardio afterwards. As others have said, it's easy to go on autopilot doing cardio at the end of your workout.
  • BigDaddy822
    Options
    I do about 15 minutes of cardio before lifting to get my blood flowing and my heart rate up into my target heart rate zone. Then after my workout I do a longer cardio session.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on Cardio and Strength training. http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/How-Does-Exercise-Affect-Your-Heart.htm

Personally, I set aside separate days for strength training since my training is geared more for endurance and injury prevention.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Different days or more than 4 hours apart so your metabolic pathways responsible for each type of exercise get the most benefit. (mTOR pathway vs AMPK pathway)
  • Jodieh75
    Jodieh75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio first and find that works best for me.

This link is to a great article from a website I've found very helpful.

http://www.laststopfatloss.com/cardio-before-or-after-weights

I have only just discovered MFP but prior to joining my weight loss to date is 7.6 kg (16.8lbs). I think this will help as now in addition to exercise, I'm being a lot more conscious of what I eat than previously so I now expect to lose a lot more!
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    When I do cardio its before...this is just me!!! I find after the weights I just want to get the hell out of the gym!! I only do cardio when I am planning on running a 5/10K

I feel you on getting out the gym after weights LOL. I do my cardio after weight training.