not enough fat?

Options
according to my diary i am not getting any where close on my goal for fat per day.

as hard as it is for me to believe(after my past eating habits) i am asking this question.

Am eating roughly less than half of my fat goal for the day am i not getting enough fat in my diet?

ScreenShot2012-02-22at100813PM.png

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ScreenShot2012-02-22at100813PM.png

Ideally you should shoot for a MINIMUM of .35-.45g of fat per lb of bodyweight daily. I don't think it's a huge deal if you're under for a day or three as long as by end of week you're around there
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat, so don't be scared of it. Try adding more healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts and oily fish...you really need these in your diet (they are called essential fatty acids for a reason), plus they are extremely yummy and satisfying.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The amount of fat listed is really a maximum. You need enough fat to get essential fatty acids that are only in unsaturated vegetable oils. A couple tablespoons a week is enough for that. You're going to be living off your own fat as you lose weight, so it's not like your body isn't metabolizing sufficient fat.
  • mattdm6969
    Options
    The amount of fat listed is really a maximum. You need enough fat to get essential fatty acids that are only in unsaturated vegetable oils. A couple tablespoons a week is enough for that. You're going to be living off your own fat as you lose weight, so it's not like your body isn't metabolizing sufficient fat.

That will kill hormone regulation. Not to mention sanity.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Since I've been going for a goal of 60 fats per day, using olive oils, avocados, fish and other typical fats my skin, hair and nails are looking so much healthier. I'd go for the range Acg gave ya and try it out for a month or two. Its amazing the differences :D I've also heard (not sure how accurate and no sources atm) that getting enough fats will help your body burn more fat.
  • blankenships6
    Options
    Eat fat to lost fat! They need to be healthy fats. Things like real butter and coconut oil along with nuts like some others mentioned. It helps a lot!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat, so don't be scared of it. Try adding more healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts and oily fish...you really need these in your diet (they are called essential fatty acids for a reason), plus they are extremely yummy and satisfying.

very good advice. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eat fat to lost fat! They need to be healthy fats. Things like real butter and coconut oil along with nuts like some others mentioned. It helps a lot!

What constitutes a "unhealthy fat" other then synthetic trans fats?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    "Speaking of fats, they are extremely efficient when it comes to storing energy - a whopping 9 calories per gram, in fact. Luckily fats do serve a purpose. Without fats your body cannot utilize fat soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E or K. Nor can it maintain healthy organs or cell membranes. Fats also supply fuel for your muscles when no carbs are available. Here's another crucial fat fact: fats are composed of fatty acids, some of which are required for human life (which is why they're called *essential* fatty acids). So if you're fat, don't blame fats because they're good!"

- Alton Brown, Good Eats: Power Trip (Season 9, Episode 6)

Context: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837
  • Mindythegreat
    Options
    I needed to see this, I can't believe I've been having trouble meeting my fat quota of 52g per day. Several days I've fallen short by 25g and it's not intentionally...I don't like avocados or the oily fish, I DO like nuts...any other suggestions???

Ahhh just saw the olive oil suggestion...that may work, put it on salads....