What's your favorite tuna meal?

Options
I've got a couple cans of tuna in the kitchen. All I tend to do with it is mix it with some mayo and slap it on bread. lol. I'm trying to cut back on my bread intake. What are some healthier ways of turning tuna into a meal? I don't think I can eat it straight out of the can. I need to flavor it up. Mix it with some salad maybe?

Replies

• Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump! =)
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    "Put Down Your Fork" Tuna and Bean Salad

3 tbsp EVOO
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 (20 oz) can white kidney beans (or northern beans or cannellini beans)
    1 (13 oz) can tuna (drained and flaked)
    2 scallions, sliced
    1/4 cup sweet red peppers (or yellow or orange), chopped
    6 leaves Bibb lettuce (optional)

In medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, basil and black pepper
    Add beans, tuna, scallions and sweet pepper and toss
    Chill for several hours for flavors to blend (I seldom have this patience and eat it right away)
    To make a beautiful presentation, server on a leaf of Bibb lettuce

Calories 227.2
    Fat 9.2g
    Saturated fat 1.5g
    Cholesterol 27 mg
    Sugars 2.1g
    Sodium 718.2mg
    Carbs 14.7g
    Fiber 5.3g
    Sugars 2.1g
    Protein 20.3g
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You can turn it into some kind of noodle casserole. I don't have a particular recipe in mind, but maybe some tuna, cream of mushroom soup and noodles... preferably whole wheat lol and, of course, CHEESE!!! You said you were cutting down on your BREAD intake, but if you meant carbs, this probably isn't for you lol but it's yummeh!
  • Seraph1120
    Options
    Ooh...that goes with my other recent craving for kidney beans. I didn't think of combining the two! =)
  • Seraph1120
    Options
    You can turn it into some kind of noodle casserole. I don't have a particular recipe in mind, but maybe some tuna, cream of mushroom soup and noodles... preferably whole wheat lol and, of course, CHEESE!!! You said you were cutting down on your BREAD intake, but if you meant carbs, this probably isn't for you lol but it's yummeh!

Haha...I'm addicted to cheese!! I don't think I'd be able to give it up. This kinda tuna noodle casserole is my only other staple recipe for tuna! =)
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just had tuna salad (tuna, mayo, green onion and some shredded carrot) with a half an avocado (cubed and mixed in). It was yummy!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I eat my tuna on sliced apples with garlic. It might sound odd, but it is SO tasty :D
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'll add some to a spinach salad with lots of veggies...or eat it with brown rice and avocado...yum...
  • angraham2
    Options
    Tuna melts... Sourdough bread, pepper jack cheese onions and tuna... mmmm. I can taste them already, Oh, I had one for lunch...
  • rudemoose
    Options
    Not sure the exact recipe for it, but my mom used to make a cold tuna noodle casserole. It had tuna, macaroni noodles, cooked (formerly frozen) peas, and miracle whip to hold it all together. It's pretty yummy as far as tuna and peas go :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I throw olives or chopped pickles in it with either mustard or mayo.

If I have the time or ingredients I'll add onions, vinegar, chickpeas.

Sometimes I blend and drink it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just eat tuna salad sandwiches lol sorry. No help here. Although today I made it into a wrap instead of a sandwich. I put mayo, pickle relish, pistachios and curry in it lol.
  • laughingatchu630
    laughingatchu630 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to make a tuna salad with macaroni noodles, tuna, mayo, peas, corn, and cheese is optional. I'm sure can switch out some ingredients for healthier alternatives. Now I just open a can drain the tuna and add a tablespoon of lite mayo, cayenne pepper, and a teaspoon of mustard, its a great snack!
  • johnlms
    Options
    One thing I recently did that turns my tuna tasty (and I like to keep things simple.. =P) is the following:

1 can tuna (I use white albacore 10oz)
    2 tbsp salsa (I use Arriba! fire roasted salsa)
    1/4 cup shelled pistachios

ends up being about 75 calories per serving for a 10oz can (1/4 cup serving)
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    TUNA NICOISE salad .. Yummm .. Fresh Tuna steak, raw baby spinach, hard boiled eggs , cherry tomatoes , green beans , small chat boiled potatoes and red onions .. Tossed in a light vinaigrette.. Love this !!!

I also make a pretty wicked Tuna Mornay .. But that's soo high in cals !!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I seriously heart tuna. I eat it straight out of the can. Or with pasta and cream of mushroom soup. I thrown it on salads. I mix it in with rice. I eat tuna like most people eat chicken. :)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I make tuna sandwiches :D
    2 pieces wholegrain bread
    avocado
    spinach
    rocket
    grated carrot
    Tuna

It's so yummy!!
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    have to go with a tuna casarole!! tuna by itself I would always pass on!! but you hide it in something I will eat it!!!
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mmmm tuna and baked beans. Hot, cold, on bread or wrap or just out of a bowl. My all time favourite meal
    Don't knock it until you try it.
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can make a stir-fry with it. Throw in some veggies like brocolli, bell peppers, onion, celery or whatever you want, add some soy sauce and serve over brown rice or even alone if you're cutting out carbs.
    Have you tried the new flavored tuna in the pouches? I looove them and when making sandwiches I just throw the mayo in the pouch and mix it in there so no messy clean-up. I also make tuna patties. Just use the same recipe you would use to make a salmon cake.