How late should you eat?

Options

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Unless you get heartburn, you can eat right up until you go to bed, provided it fits into your nutrition goals.
    Eating while asleep is, of course, not recommended.
  • ChelsChubzz
    Options
    Weight loss doctors have told me going to bed hungry is good, means your body is burning fat
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    3 hours before you put your body to rest.

I totally agree...my cousin is a naturopathic and she said that your liver will function at it's best late in the evening so eating 3hrs before bed is a great way to help your body flush with ease on top of our better eating habits and some exercise. Good topic....now I should follow this! Lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If I go to bed hungry, I tend to wake up in the middle of the night hungry and go downstairs in a half-awake haze to find a snack. Not the frame of mind you want to be in when making food decisions if you're trying to lose weight. So I don't go to bed hungry. LOL
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I recommend not eating after you fall asleep. It could get messy.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My time is between midnight and 5:50 AM...while I am sleeping!

Calories are the same at any hour of the day, therefore the body processes calories in the same way at any time of the day
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a couple hours before I go to bed. Mostly so I'll be hungry when I wake up and so digestion doesn't affect my sleep
  • bp1984
    bp1984 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I recommend not eating after you fall asleep. It could get messy.

Sleep Walker? lol
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    At least this is what works for me, but you will know your body....just my opinion... Good night
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    At least this is what works for me, but you will know your body....just my opinion... Good night

That's just it, different things work best for different people, there really is no rule that everyone has to follow for success, you just have to find what makes things easiest for you and stick with it. :-)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    3 hours before you put your body to rest.

I totally agree...my cousin is a naturopathic and she said that your liver will function at it's best late in the evening so eating 3hrs before bed is a great way to help your body flush with ease on top of our better eating habits and some exercise. Good topic....now I should follow this! Lol

Why would one's liver function best late in the evening? What about those who work graveyard shifts like me periodically and eat at 10 PM and again at 2AM and go to sleep at 6AM?
  • Fretzy
    Options
    never ever eat before bed, you dont have a chance to burn them off. I struggle with the cut off time, but would like to stop eating completely around 10pm. Hardly ever happens. But if I feel the urge, I get water or make plain popcorn.
  • TurnLeftNow
    Options
    I have never really believed in a certain time that you should stop eating, mostly because people wake up and go to bed and completely different times. You can't really say I shouldn't eat anything after 7pm if i am going to bed at 5am.

I think it's whatever works best for you. There are 100000s of topics on this same question here. I personally eat all the way up until it's almost time for bed. Maybe about 45 minutes to an hour before I go to bed. I have lost weight doing this and I have maintained my weight doing this.

If you have stomach problems or can't handle going to bed on a full stomach, then don't. If you are hungry and you want to eat something and you have calories left, eat something. It's pretty simple. There is no magic cut off time/before you go to bed time that you should stop eating to lose weight.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    never ever eat before bed, you dont have a chance to burn them off. I struggle with the cut off time, but would like to stop eating completely around 10pm. Hardly ever happens. But if I feel the urge, I get water or make plain popcorn.

Your body burns calories continuously throughout the day (and night). It doesn't just turn off and not use energy when you go to sleep, it's still fueling your vital organs and whatnot. Eating late will not negatively affect your weightloss efforts as long as eating late does not mean you are *over* eating. If you have the calories to spare in your daily budget, it's fine.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    . This is myth.

Trying to burn the food you eat is futile. If you are in an energy deficit over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage and you still burn fat. You very literally could eat all of your calories before bed every night and lose weight given that you are eating in a net deficit for the day.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Quit posting misinformation please, ok, thanks :-)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Anyone else notice that the people saying you can eat as late as you want as long as it fits into your nutrition goals are the ones who are quite fit?

(I was just thinking that because I realized that half of them are showing off their abs - clearly, eating late does not hurt them - and I'm showing off my guns, so eating late clearly doesn't hurt me, either)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    On my busy days with school and work I tend to eat light throughout the day and eat about half my calories when I get home from work at 930 and go to bed around 11 and I've been losing so it works for me!
  • emmiee921
    Options
    I use to never eat at 7, but now i didn't really have an end time though i prefer to eat before 9
  • GingaNinja00
    GingaNinja00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I heard never to eat after 5pm. I know its early but I lost a lot of weight with that.