HRM/Calorie Tracker

Options
I am in desperate need of an HRM or some sort of calorie tracker that would tell me how many calories I've burned.... and do it right. What do you guys recommend? What are your favorites? Has anyone tried the Fitbit, that MFP advertises?

Replies

• bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the fitbit but I have a polar ft7 and love it! Easy to use!
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've used a Mio watch that you have to press two buttons and take your heart rate every couple of minutes. After about a year, only one button would go down and I could not get a reading while moving. Sometimes it was two minutes before I could get a reading and my heart rate would be lower by then.

I now have a Polar FT7 and I love it. It's about mid-grade from what I can tell. There's fancier ones and less fancy ones. But I would guess anything that monitors it constantly would work. I love the chest strap, it's very comfortable and washable.
  • itsallyson
    itsallyson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg (repped by 24hr fitness) and it's awesome. When you buy it it comes with a whole program (similar to MFP) but it gives you a meal plan/supplement plan.
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg (repped by 24hr fitness) and it's awesome. When you buy it it comes with a whole program (similar to MFP) but it gives you a meal plan/supplement plan.

I think I've seen that at Costco. I was curious, but didn't want to spend quite that much ($299 when I looked).
  • anner53108
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 HRM and LOOOOOVE IT! Best fitness money I've spent so far (you can get one for $60-$80 online). I use it to track calories burned during my workouts.

I also recently got a Fitbit, but I don't depend on it for workouts (just my activity the rest of the day, and my sleep). Here's a Fitbit review I posted in the forums recently:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/489011-fitbit-review-with-pros-and-cons

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    I love love love my timex zone trainer!! Easy to use and not big and bulky like some can be
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I personally love it! It syncs with the equipment at my gym so I don't have to constantly look at the watch, just shows it on the machine
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE :heart: :love: :heart: :love: my bodybug...the arm band is very comfortable I also purchased the digital display...best price new on eBay $120.00 free shipping and a one year subscription.....it's making it easy to know where I'm at thought out the day.

4526527.png
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4, the only reason I bought it was to estimate calories and I feel it does the job fairly well. I am intrigued by the BodyBugg and BodyMediaFit, though, really would love to get one and see how I like that whole system. Those are very different though, you wear them all day to estimate your calories throughout the day instead of only during exercise. Heart rate monitors like the Polar brand can only be used during specific exercise. It works for me for now, but I'm often curious about how other increased daily activities affect my day, and I could see that more easily if I had something like the BodyMedia Fit, but IDK if I might get tired of wearing something all the time.
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft7 and love love love it. I use it every time I exercise. I spent a week at the biggest loser resort at fitness ridge and this is the hrm they recommend. Well worth the money. It is about $80 on amazon.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405 and Garmin FR60. FR60 calculates based on HR...the 405 does not. The FR60 does not have GPS function, but the 405 does.

If you don't care about the GPS function, the FR60 is great and pretty affordable.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You gave me some great advice/options! I'm more concerned about the exercise calories, because I exercise at home. I think a good HRM is the way to go for me, and I will think about pedometers as I advance.