What was your "AHA" moment?

Options
Mine was coming back from vacation and thumbing through pictures. I looked at that picture and thought "Is that really me? Am I that big?". I cried that night and started my gym routine the next morning.

What was the moment that made you decide to lose the weight once and for all?

Replies

• Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Well, I had been telling myself that I need to get back into the swing of things. When I killed a whole bag of Doritos in one day...I decided "woah, enough is enough."
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My little nephew didn't recognize me. He said "are you really uncle Steve?"
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Life insurance company denied my application....
  • its_sania
    its_sania Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mine was when winter came and I went to put on a pair of jeans that used to be quite loose on me and they were so fitted they were like tights! That's when I knew I had to bite the bullet start exercising!! Those jeans are really baggy on me now so I can't wear them now anyway lol
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When my 6 year old told me "Mom, you're fat". Then shook my stomach. The next day,I got my butt in gear.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mine was coming back from vacation and thumbing through pictures. I looked at that picture and thought "Is that really me? Am I that big?". I cried that night and started my gym routine the next morning.

What was the moment that made you decide to lose the weight once and for all?

This was me. Looking at the pictures of myself from our Disney vacation last month was a kick in the butt and really shed light on how unhealthy I was. Not the kind of memories I want for myself or my family.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Mine was almost 5 years after my daughter was born. I still had the baby weight and one June day, I said that was enough. It came off in 9 months and it's been 3+ years now and i've never looked back.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    When my doctor told me I had PCOS and wouldn't be able to have any more kids unless I got my weight under control.
  • Dahavol
    Options
    When I was on my honeymoon last month and my bride wanted to go on a Hawaiian island horseback ride at the kualoa ranch. We got up to the ranch all ready to have this great experience and I found out that the weight limit was 230lbs and I was registering a good 270ish at the time. Now "too fat to ride the horses" is kinda my rallying cry.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I avoided seeing my whole reflection in the bathroom mirror when getting out of the shower...basically would only look at my upper body. Recently I bought a full length mirror and almost fell over from shock--I've been in such denial how badly I've let myself go. The mirror is unavoidable now, as soon as I walk in my bedroom I see my reflection, and as much as I cringe, it's motivating me greatly!!
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Mine was when my size 16 paints started to become too tight! I refused to buy a size 18 so instead I got my butt in gear and am now buying size 8! :)

Plus I knew that the lifestyle I was leading was not a very healthy one for my kids either! So I changed it all!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When one of the 4 year olds in the class I was subteaching in asked me if I had a baby in my tummy. I nearly died of shock. Then the next week when this guy I've been talking to said I looked different and asked if I'd been working out.

No motivation like the words of a child and then realization that he's looking at me a lot more closely than I thought he was!

Started MFP and want nothing more than to move forward and stick to it.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I took my 6 year old to a friends birthday party and just felt disgusting in my clothes. My always snug clothes were no longer snug; they were TIGHT and miserable feeling. The next day I started and am so glad that I did. I'm on a roll now and hope that I reach my goal before giving up!
  • sprincess88
    sprincess88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I saw pictures of my fat face and it totally sucked, but I didn't start caring until I got a nice big stretch mark on the front. I was married at the time and my husband was like "WOAH what happened?!?"... I felt awful enough already and that just kinda rubbed it in. That's when I realized that if I don't get my weight under control now it's only gonna get worse. After I moved out I was even more motivated. I am in control of my weight and I am in control of what I eat.
  • kategleva
    Options
    it hit me the most when i asked out this guy and he said only if u were a Lil skinnier then he would think about it. but i decided not to loose weight because of what he had said but because i need to start doing it for me. and i just hope i can follow through with it and seeing so many people on here posting there before and after pics is such an inspiration and it gives me hope that i can do it to if i really put my mind to it so far ive lost 10 pounds.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When my dad started losing weight and finally weighed less than me. Around the same time I realized that I was using my weight as an excuse to not try new things.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When my DH said he was scared of me ending up in a wheelchair, unable to dance or even walk, because of my morbid obesity. Now I am doing it for myself but I will never forget how deeply his comment touched me.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures we took in Hawaii when we celebrated our 20th anniversary. I looked at my gut and said, "When did that happen?". Coincidentally, the picture that was my AHA moment is the "before" image in my profile picture!
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sitting at the beach looking at my belly :(.... almost gone :)
  • BlooQKazoo
    Options
    This might sound terrible, but when I looked at a picture of me and my friend (who I always thought was quite large) and saw that I was bigger than she. Had salad and fruit for dinner that night. ;)