Success with PCOS

Options
brenbbb
brenbbb Posts: 74 Member
Anyone out there have any advise for losing weight when you have PCOS? I have been restricting calories and walking and doesn't seem to be falling off quickly enough. I have struggled for about 10 years.

Replies

• NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What is pcos?
  • lauren39421
    Options
    Stay away from CARBS and SUGAR! Make sure you take your med regularly. If your not taking any med. Than thats why your not losing weight ( go to the doc and get mediformine) if you can! Do carido like dancing or something! I have pcos and its hard but the main thing is stay away from thoughs foods. Yes it will be nasty stuff you eat! But you will see results!
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 40 pounds (some before starting on MFP). It was hard at first, but I've stuck with it. Now it is slow and steady, but happening! You can do it, just keep trying. I also seem to have more success when I'm eating more things that keep my insulin at steady levels.
  • daizylibra
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was a teenager. I ballooned up to 225 when I was in college. I had some success with low carbing. I tried ediets.com and ended up being a featured success story on their website. I lost 84 pounds and have kept it off for years. I struggle typically within a 10 pound range, but am still comfortable with where I'm at.

I agree that sugar and carbs are the devil for us. You will see changes around your waist if you watch your sugar and carbs. PCOS women typically have a lot of excess weight around their waists.

I think you really have to take charge of your PCOS, and not let it take charge of you. Excercise does wonders. Start small. I did, and worked up to half marathon. :)
  • kawanna941
    kawanna941 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a low carb diet, usually around 100 - 120 net carbs daily. I have an appointment tomorrow and hopefully they can give me something to help. Some people eat only about 20 net carbs a day but I know I can't do that, it will only cause me to binge eat. So check with a doc and see what your options are.
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Stay away from CARBS and SUGAR! Make sure you take your med regularly. If your not taking any med. Than thats why your not losing weight ( go to the doc and get mediformine) if you can! Do carido like dancing or something! I have pcos and its hard but the main thing is stay away from thoughs foods. Yes it will be nasty stuff you eat! But you will see results!

You do NOT necessarily have to get on Metformin, I am not and doing just fine losing weight. Exercising and keeping a good diet, lowering those processed carbs will help you. And it won't be nasty either, it will be exactly what you make of it! Good luck!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and the big thing is processed foods, excess carbs and sugar. Even artificial sugars.
  • meycay
    meycay Posts: 29
    Options
    PCOS is Poly (many) Cystic Ovary (ovarian) Syndrome. Google it. : ) I found out I had it when I started fertility treatment with my first son. I am in the process of losing weight so I can have another baby and getting back on Metphormin was a given since that is what the fertility doctors prescribed FIRST THING.

I'm sure a good diet will help and the meds may not be an absolute but every little bit helps when you're trying to fight against your body to save your body, know what I'm sayin'? : )
  • rubyrubano
    Options
    I have pcos, adenomyosis and endometriosis. I've cut a lot of carbs and no sugar except for fruit or agave and try to eat more like a diabetic and I've lost 23 pounds in the last month and a half! Keep it up and it will start coming off soon!!!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 50 lbs total. If you are insulin resistant (which most with PCOS are), then you have to limit or completely remove processed carbs and sugars from your diet. If you feel like you can't get rid of all carbs, replace them with different types of grains that do not go through any sort of processing. This was the ultimate key to my success, but I also cut calories (I eat about 1380 now, but started at around 1200) and I exercise 4-6 days a week with an emphasis on cardio.

You can do it, and you really don't have to get on drugs to do it. You can try the drugs, but I hated them. They made me sick and didn't really increase the weight loss.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs and sugar as mentioned above. Also processed foods. Just try to eat as natural and lower carb as possible. I don't think you have to go to 20 net carbs and I don't know what the one person meant about eating nasty foods. I have PCOS too and have had the most success with the diet my doctor has me on which is low carb and no processed foods. I'm not on any meds for PCOS right now except birth control so that I have periods.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with eating less carbs (I eat around 100/day) and lower sugar. I have lost 38 so far on MFP (probably more if I didn't have cheats in there). Lower sodium works great for me. Lots of water. Lots of green tea. Lots of vitamins. Healthy oils. Try to eat as little processed food as possible. I eat nuts as a snack almost daily and that seems to work well in place of snacks like chips, crackers and cookies.

I also take a cinnamon supplement twice daily to help stabilize my blood sugar. Cinnamon is supposed to work well for those of us with insulin resistance.

Some can swear by eating little to no carbs and losing tons of weight rapidly but I've watched it backfire on myself and others around me. It isn't rationally sustainable in the long run (in my opinion). I read somewhere that 100 carbs per day is the target range for weight loss for those with PCOS. So that's what I've been doing and it's working for me. Try to make your carbs count - eat more "good" carbs like the ones that come from veggies and less carbs that come from flours and sugars.

Also, I had an extreme bad reaction to Metformin so it was not the answer for me. I have PCOS and am pre-diabetic.
  • cheryl_egan
    Options
    Hi there. I was confirmed with PCOS a few months ago after finding a 'real' doctor who 'really' cared. My ultrasounds and bloodwork confirmed it. What we didn't know at the time was I'm also very insulin resistant (not quite yet diabetic but headed that way). So I started on Byetta injections to level out my insulin. Fast forward and I'm also on 1,000 mg on Glucophage twice a day. I have to take it faithfully. Nothing else has worked but Almased. Now... I don't push products...this is just what's working for me. I'm doing a shake in the morning, one for lunch, and then a 'green veggie' dinner. It's working after everything else didn't. I'm down 1.6 pounds since Monday the 20th. I couldn't be happier. Check it out. It may or may not work since everybody's different.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Here's my success post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/499389-my-first-success-post-pics-included

I've been DX'ed with PCOS for about 20 years (damn I'm getting old!). Low carb didn't help me lose weight. The only thing that made it possible was taking Metformin. Going low carb didn't control my insulin levels and I'd still have to starve to lose weight (800ish calories). I've been on Met for at least 12 years but didn't seriously try to lose weight until last year. It's still hard, it still takes a lot of work and exercise, but with Met, I am able to lose weight. Very slowly.

Good luck! PCOS sucks.
  • cjteacher
    cjteacher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on the pill and metformin and I am losing. Metformin has made a difference for sure. I can't live without it. I am not as tired and feel so much better.
  • elizabrittt
    elizabrittt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, and just started trying to change my eating habits. I don't take Met ( bad reaction, typically don't like prescription drugs) but I do take cinnamon and a vitamin b complex. I could really use support/friends in this though so feel free to add me :)
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 50lbs since September. I'm definitely in the cut out (fast) carbs and sugar camp! It makes such a difference when you have PCOS. I am starting to reintroduce slow carbs into my diet little by little now which is working fine as well as long as I exercise 4-5 times a week. I watch my sodium intake as well. Not currently on any medication for my PCOS.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS & my highest known weight was 271. Without medication, I was able to lose the weight (110+ pounds) by paying close attention to carbs, sugar and sodium. To this day when I find myself slipping in any of these areas I tend to gain rather quickly.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS after about a year or so of TTC...I was originally on Janumet, but my system was not absorbing the pill (my doctor diagnosed me with Type II Diabetes before the gyno diagnosed me with PCOS) I have lost 29lbs since starting my diet, and am feeling much better. Anyone that wishes to add me it would be great, there are so many people that dont understand the emotional situation that comes with PCOS, especially with so many of my friends conceiving...regardless of precautionary measures or not...=) good luck to you all in your endeavors.
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your doctor. Everyone's experience is going to be different. As for me, I have PCOS (battled infertility for two years because of it) and have lost 67 lbs over the last 8 months. No medication, counting calories (not restricting carbs), exercise, and dedication. Metformin is a good option for some, but it's not for everyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!