Hair is falling out! HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It happened to me before with weight loss not this time tho, and it happened to my mom! I do suggest a multi, i take one every day! I have to admit dieting is stress on the body when it isnt use to it, i would think anyways! So that could be why to! But def need a multi for make up of vitamins u may be loosing!!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    make sure you are getting at least 100 grams of protein a day.
  • ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    When my hair fell out is was because I had untreated hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease). That being said, it can be any number of things and you should speak to your GP about it.
  • velofille
    velofille Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a multi vitamin also, just to make sure its not a vitamin problem (as well as the bloods at your 6 month mark)
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    My hairs been falling out since I started losing weight too...I got some Biotin because I heard it would help, haven't seen any results yet, sadly.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have thin hair - I used to lose it from stress (bad relationship, hated my job, etc) -- but since I have started eating right, it has thickened up a bit (not perfect but still better) -- are you eating enough protein'??
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Its happened to me too but I was on a statin for high cholesterol (Im now off of it) and the statin made my hair fall out.. This probably doesn't help you lol
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've had excesive hair loss several times in my life. 3 to 4 months post partum(4 times) and after stopping a medications. My husband lost lots of hair while losing weigh quickly but it returned to normal afterwards. :flowerforyou:
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know of 2 reasons for sure that this happens-- low thyroid (and yes, it can go from normal to not at any time) and low protein intake. Good luck, see your MD.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    could it be stress, hormonal, a vitamin defficiency?
  • redchloe
    redchloe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After I'd lost 40-50 pounds (about 6-7 months), I started losing lots of hair. It would actually clog the shower drain each day. I have very thick hair and ended up losing about half of the volumn. My doctor told me to increase protein up to at least 60 grams a day. All of my hair eventually grew back and is now as full as it used to be. My thyroid is fine, but everyone is a little different. Sure hope this helps you. Best of luck to ya!
  • lizl1977
    lizl1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    might also want to have your iron levels checked.. my mother had Bariatric surgery and that is one of the warnings they are given. When you adjust your eating habits, your body is not always able to keep up with the changes and may not absorb all the nutrients u actually need. Iron deficiencies tend to cause hair loss as well as being cold often. Just a thought :)
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have very long, thick hair, and have noticed some shedding. That being said...

The BEST thing I have ever used for hair health is BIOTIN..go to WALMART, get Spring Valley Super Potency 5000mcg, skin/hair/nail support, 120 caps. $6.00. Good Buy!!

BEWARE, Spring Valley ALSO has, HAIR/SKIN/NAILS, Biotin 5000mcg. 120 caps. The difference is that the 2nd bottle, you have to take 3 a day, the first bottle 1 a day. Also 6.00, but you will use faster.

So, get the one, that has Biotin in BIG LETTERS with skin/hair/nails in little letters under in.

I use it, my hair is growing freakishly fast. I have long strong nails--Praise the Lord!!

Good Luck..Nicolette
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Biotin, Essential Oils 3, 6, 9, and Nioxin Shampoo are supposed to help with hair loss. Also, plenty of protein.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamin D checked too. I had a deficiency and my hair fell out.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have noticed hair loss probably for a month now. I dont know if its because the lady mixed my hair dye wrong, because it seemed to noticably fall out more after I dyed my hair. It is the same dye i have been using for a while..but i wonder if maybe she used too strong of a developer. I usually use a 10 or 20 level just for color deposit..i dont know what she used. Or is it due to my diet?? I bought Nature's Bounty Hair Skin Nails vitamins..i hope it helps. Reading these responses I am thinking of maybe adding a protein shake to my diet would also be helpful.
  • JaneOLantern
    JaneOLantern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me after losing somewhere around 60 lbs or so. I had very, very thick hair and suddenly it was coming out like crazy in the shower, towel, etc. I have Hoshimoto's disease, so I immediately assumed thyroid and went in for testing. It turned out I had an iron deficiency, which is particularly common among women that are losing weight, especially women that do a lot of cardio. I started taking iron supplements and it took a bit, but the problem is slowly going away. Have your doc check your iron levels, it's worth a shot!

Good luck! :)

This.
    About 2 years ago I noticed some hair loss. Had my thyroid checked twice and it was fine. Even when I wasn't stressed it seemed to be coming out. After a lot of searching online I found Iron deficiency can lead to hairloss. Since I'm a vegetarian, and I didn't pay attention to my vitamins/minerals, I did have a deficiency. Supplements slowly righted the problem.