Does anyone else feel like they need more support?

Options
Hello Sunshines :))
I just rejoined myfitnesspal after a few months of having no access to it and being slack.
I am pretty motivated to lose my weight and get skinny, but when I come home from a 12 hour shift at work my mum has already made me Lasagna and Chips or something high in Calories and I feel like she doesn't understand me when I tell her I can't eat that stuff anymore.
And it's so yummy.
Any advice on how to get over that obstacle?
>.<
xxx

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Options
    A really good heart to heart with your mum! Explaining to her how important it is to you, also give her some simple ideas of what you would rather eat instead. Don't complicate it, your poor mum shouldn't have to run around too much! :noway:

Most of the time they only try and give us what makes us happy, don't they? And food is always such a comfort. Good luck, and appreciate the effort. Wish I had my mum near me!
  • Sharonsja
    Sharonsja Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have also just restarted.

The only way is to speak to your mom - maybe show her what the calories amount to on myfitness pal - explain that its already so difficult when you get home to eat correctly.

I am fine during the day - but when I get home its as if I lose all self control.

Today I want to STAY STRONG.

Good luck
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My solution when faced with the same issue:

Eat a SMALL portion of the dish, calculating the best you can that it will not get you above your calories.
    That way, you will be able to eat that delicious dish, not offend the cook, and stay within your target cals !
    Of course, you will need to eat something else, since the portion was small. Maybe a salad?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    why not work it into your meal plan?
  • liljgrafix
    Options
    I always feel like i need more support. then i realize. no one is going to change me.. but me!! so i try to give myself encouragement. but motivation and support are always a blessing
  • RachelRedwood16
    RachelRedwood16 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ask your mum to use healthier and more organic ingredients than usual or eat a smaller amount :)
  • work_for_it_xx
    Options
    Oh thanks guys (:

I know it's not my mums job to provide for me, but she wants to, she loves cooking and is one of those mums who always cooks yummy food!

I just had a small portion and I am still under my calories for they day. :)
    She doesn't believe that I need to lose weight she think's i'll be unhealthy if I get skinnier, but I don't know.

xx
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Definately need suport here/.:flowerforyou:
  • pompeyqueen
    pompeyqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    always in need of a bit of support, I have a wedding dress that I need to look good in, in 5 months time but none of my friends and family seem to quite understand :(

Like last night for instance I went to the cinema with my friends and they all wanted to go to mcdonalds before hand and they are all ordering burgers and chips and milkshakes obviously my resolve quavers and I give in to the burgers grrrrrrrr!!!

Then I get home last night and my future hubby has made me a salad for lunch today and thinks it is healthy because it is a salad but he has put cheese, croutons and lashings of creamy dressing on it and crispy bacon with the fat still on it............I try to explain to him it is loverly that he has done this for me but there alternatives or he could do smaller portions.

Last week after telling him i'm trying to eat healthier because he offered me a cream cake, I came home (he doesn't cook often so it was a nice surprise) he had cooked me dinner but it was a proper man size body builders portion with 5 sausages and a mountain of mash potato made with cream and cheese!!!!

I'm hoping MFP can keep me on the straight and narrow but it is really hard and I was a junk food junky but I have improved loads.

Sorry about the rant but I get so angry at my self for giving in to all these temptations.
  • Alicai
    Alicai Posts: 55
    Options
    Why not ask her to use quorn mince instead? Or if you're near an ASDA, they do a great meat-free version that tastes good. In fact, once there is a sauce on it, I don't actually taste the difference anyway. And you could also ask her to use low fat cheese. Maybe if you bought the ingredients it would be a good compromise for you both. You don't offend your mum...and she can still do the mothering thing too!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Put half of it in the fridge and have a pack of that pre made salad to hand to replace what you are not eating.

If you find that difficult then you may have to bin half of it before you eat it and tell your mum the portions are too big and can she make it a bit smaller.

p.s I hate binning food but it may be a means to an end
  • bb_1982
    bb_1982 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Put half of it in the fridge and have a pack of that pre made salad to hand to replace what you are not eating.

If you find that difficult then you may have to bin half of it before you eat it and tell your mum the portions are too big and can she make it a bit smaller.

p.s I hate binning food but it may be a means to an end

This is what I do, eat a smaller portion with loads of salad (when im being good). Then I have enough to take to lunch the next day too. Double yummy :)

Im just starting out again. Lost all my motivation but got up today, didnt like what I saw (after a week of takeaways and cr*p) and thought what better day to start. xx
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks guys (:

I know it's not my mums job to provide for me, but she wants to, she loves cooking and is one of those mums who always cooks yummy food!

I just had a small portion and I am still under my calories for they day. :)
    She doesn't believe that I need to lose weight she think's i'll be unhealthy if I get skinnier, but I don't know.

xx

I understand completely. Its a pickle for you, damn if you do, damn if you dont. If your mom isnt convinced about your health concerns, tell her that it'll make you happy if she would let you eat accordingly and cook some healthier food for you.

Or, from work, call her and say something like "hey mum, can you cook me XXXX item" Ask her to cook something thats healthy. idk about you but my mom used to make amazing veggie dishes (Indian parents, they know how to rock the veggies!). Vegetables and lentils are amazing for anyones diet and if you request her i'm sure she'll cook something for you.

You can also ask her to cook something healthy just for you so when she makes a lasagna or something, maybe have a few bites of the lasagna and then carry on with the healthy stuff that you got in the fridge for you (i know, easier said than done depending on the will power)

All in all, it just sounds like she just wants to be a part of your life and maybe using food as a way to stay connected. I think she'll cook you something healthier if you ask her in a way that tell her that you still need her