Accuracy of machine calories

Options
I've heard and read that the calories machines such as the treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer, etc. say you burn are not very accurate.

When logging in exercise, do you take this into account? Also how accurate is MFP when it comes to saying how much you burn?

Replies

• Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's a tough call.

I've found MFP to be accurate on most things, but it over-calculates on other things.

If I have a question I double check on some of the third-party websites that calculate exercise calories.

Basically, moderate exertion = 100 calories.
    But moderate exertion differs from person to person. A person getting on a treadmill for the first time will feel that walking at
    3.5 mph is extreme. The fit person feels that anything under a 6:30 mile is taking it easy.

My rule of thumb: a 12 minute mile (5 mph) on a treadmill is moderate exercise and burns about 100 calories. I subtract or add from that depending on the pace. Hope this helps!
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor about a month ago and often compare it to the calorie readings on gym machines. Interestingly, the machines are usually spot on with heart rate but total calories burnt are always higher on the machines than the heart rate monitor. I think MFP overestimates exercise calories, at least in my experience.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    the formulas they use are based on averages, it is impossible for them to be precise. And with some of the counters offering significant overestimates, their readings can often be misleading for people trying to lose weight and even hamper weight-loss efforts.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and find that the gym machines are fairly innacurate in comparison though as someone mentioned the heart rate is normally spot on.

I've found that MFP is very accurate for cals burned when comparing to the HRM. If in doubt just make sure you allow a little buffer and don't eat all of your exercise cals back (say, save 70-100 as a safeguard).
  • martinarant
    Options
    The biggest problem with the counters on these machines is when you "hold on" while exercising. A treadmill will typically show a 30% higher calorie burn than you are actually producing when you hold on to the bars. Even touching the holders will remove your brains need to balance (it acts as an external balancing reference point) and therefore it takes less energy to walk or run. If you use the machines without touching them you'll get a more accurate calorie reading and a much better workout. You'll also teach your brain to balance your body naturally... like when you're really walking or running.

Marty
  • heyemz
    heyemz Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!
  • ultracatgirl
    Options
    I was told my a friend if you place your thumbs on a sensor- you get a different pulse then if you just have hands. it was true.

It depends on the informations you put in- you just take the basic average settings- it is not going to be the same as your actual weight.

Also age of the machine matters as well as how often they are maintained. they lose their touch over time as well as if they are not taken care of it...when you get a gym membership- find out how new or old the machines are as well as when they replace machines.

i would use it as a guideline.