Thialand in March.... Any food recommendations

Options
almonds1
almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
Anyone suggest any good places to try when I am there?

Replies

• inr0myr
    inr0myr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to Thailand, why not have a visit to Langkawi (a beautiful island at the border between Malaysia-Thailand). That's my hometown. Very nice place http://youtu.be/fAmU2W0qUU0 :smile:
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too as I will be going in August. Roll on holidays!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm only (very) familiar with Americanized thai food. But my personal favorites are red curry (soupy coconut curry sauce), satay (peanut sauce), panang curry (peanut based curry sauce), and pad see ew (noodles). I'm a pescetarian, so I either get these items vegetarian or with shrimp.

I'm jealous. I'd love to go to Thailand someday. For the architecture and art along with the food.
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pho!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Pho!

Wrong country. lol
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pho!

Wrong country. lol

They have pho there too.
  • Crystal817
    Options

They have pho there too.

Hmmm I guess I thought it was just traditionally a vietnamese dish. :wink:
  • almonds1
    Options
    lol, pho... I am not really a soup person. ..

I like Thai food but I assume its very diferent over there.. I heard the spice is a lot hotter!! I like hot food..

I love seafood...
  • Crystal817
    Options
    lol, pho... I am not really a soup person. ..

I like Thai food but I assume its very diferent over there.. I heard the spice is a lot hotter!! I like hot food..

I love seafood...
    I would just try whatever looks good! :D
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Where are you going in Thailand.....

If you are near the ocean in Phuket and Koh Samui they normally have fantastic fresh seafood (OK also in Bangkok) - you choose you own fish, prawns, crayfish - and how you want it cooked (BBQ is great) and they prepare it for you....
    In Bangkok the Or Kor Tor markets are amazing - I can spend an entire holiday just eating there....

In Phuket there are guys walking around on the beach selling BBQ chicken - OMG - it is to die for!!

A good cheap "safe" eat is Pad Thai.....bit heavy on the carbs - but hey when you are on holiday!!
    The tropical fruit is amazing - Mango's, Papapay, Pineapple

Thai curries are fantastic if you like spicy - they are quite used to making "western hot" if you are scared of the hot - if you like really spicy Jungle Curry is the one to go for - but beware - it is only for the very brave!!
  • almonds1
    Options

Where are you going in Thailand.....

If you are near the ocean in Phuket and Koh Samui they normally have fantastic fresh seafood (OK also in Bangkok) - you choose you own fish, prawns, crayfish - and how you want it cooked (BBQ is great) and they prepare it for you....
    In Bangkok the Or Kor Tor markets are amazing - I can spend an entire holiday just eating there....

In Phuket there are guys walking around on the beach selling BBQ chicken - OMG - it is to die for!!

A good cheap "safe" eat is Pad Thai.....bit heavy on the carbs - but hey when you are on holiday!!
    The tropical fruit is amazing - Mango's, Papapay, Pineapple

Thai curries are fantastic if you like spicy - they are quite used to making "western hot" if you are scared of the hot - if you like really spicy Jungle Curry is the one to go for - but beware - it is only for the very brave!!

I will be in Phuket and Samui. Have you tried any of the street meat in Bangkok? I have heard mixed things about eating it
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Yep - I go every year - in the beginning I was quite aprehensive about eating on the streets, but now I get right in there with the locals..... Most of the time great - occasionally not something I like....

I always look how busy a place is - if you see a lot of locals hanging around it normally is great......street food is sooo cheap - so even if you don't like it you have not paid an arm and a leg for it.....

I also tend to buy things on the street that is being cooked for you - rather than from a big pot that has been sitting there for god knows how long.....that is why I love Pad Thai - it is being cooked from fresh when you order it....

Ask people - they are normally very happy to engage and help you along if you are interested in their food.....
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    3971457986_a6730b91ba_m.jpg
    BBQ-fish-for-25-Baht by .donelle, on Flickr

3971458288_5dcc6c9530_m.jpg
    Eating-on-the-Street by .donelle, on Flickr

3908724421_d782339775_m.jpg
    Lunch by .donelle, on Flickr
  • suepeta
    Options
    if you are gong to Patong, Phuket, my absolute favourite cafe is Number 6, one in "2nd street" opposite Mr Goods Seafood, they also have a great one in the hills, with free transfer there from the main st cafe. Seafood Pad Thai, around $3, great soups curry, sate chicken. pawpaw salad lots to choose from and all great
  • almonds1
    Options
    :drinker:

and I can't believe you can get BBQ's fish for 25THB lol...thats awesome!!!