how to keep on track when over 80 !

Options
Wonderful site , my daughter introduced it to me , when she lost 55 pounds and ran a San Fransico Marathon to commemorate her brother, my son who died of Cancar , a year ago .
I am over 80 , still in good health , do light exercises and weights , but do have a problem walking ,especially in winter in snow - my husband and I love to RV - we were Military so moved all over every two years or so . After our children, all born in different places , and quitting smoking , I piled on a lot of pounds . Lost some 30 with WW , but back it came as I love to cook and make marvellous bread !
I want to lose about twenty pounds so that I can breathe better and walk more , especially when we go camping .
A very real help to me has been my diet soup , very low calorie wise and quite tasty...
Here it is :
One package o Knorr or Lipton Onion soupmix
2-3 stalks chopped celery
1 -32 oz can of diced or whole tomatoes
2 large white onions , chopped .
2 garlic cloves , chopped
1 can cut plain green beans
1 or 2 Bayleaves
1/4 tsp of powdered Cayenne ( suit to taste by trying )
1/4 shredded to bite size green cabbage
12 or so cups of water

Method :
Place water in large soup pot , add Onion soup mix , add all vegetables , and bring to a boil . Lower heat and cook until cabbage/celery /onions etc are soft . Remove Bayleaf , add more water as desired .
Less than 100 calories for a 2 cup bowl and filling , a Couple of Rice Cakes or 1 slice of bread and its a good hot healthy meal .

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

Good luck with your weight loss.

That soup looks really great. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    WOW ! you inspire me just for being here ! And thanks for the recipe !!!
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    that soup recipe does sound lovely thanks for sharing and welcome to MFP :D
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    you are amazing! So sorry for the loss of your son. Thank you for sharing your soup recipe. I love soup!!!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Wonderful site , my daughter introduced it to me , when she lost 55 pounds and ran a San Fransico Marathon to commemorate her brother, my son who died of Cancar , a year ago .
    I am over 80 , still in good health , do light exercises and weights , but do have a problem walking ,especially in winter in snow - my husband and I love to RV - we were Military so moved all over every two years or so . After our children, all born in different places , and quitting smoking , I piled on a lot of pounds . Lost some 30 with WW , but back it came as I love to cook and make marvellous bread !
    I want to lose about twenty pounds so that I can breathe better and walk more , especially when we go camping .
    A very real help to me has been my diet soup , very low calorie wise and quite tasty...
    Here it is :
    One package o Knorr or Lipton Onion soupmix
    2-3 stalks chopped celery
    1 -32 oz can of diced or whole tomatoes
    2 large white onions , chopped .
    2 garlic cloves , chopped
    1 can cut plain green beans
    1 or 2 Bayleaves
    1/4 tsp of powdered Cayenne ( suit to taste by trying )
    1/4 shredded to bite size green cabbage
    12 or so cups of water

Method :
    Place water in large soup pot , add Onion soup mix , add all vegetables , and bring to a boil . Lower heat and cook until cabbage/celery /onions etc are soft . Remove Bayleaf , add more water as desired .
    Less than 100 calories for a 2 cup bowl and filling , a Couple of Rice Cakes or 1 slice of bread and its a good hot healthy meal .

You, dear lady are an inspiration! Your strength, determination and beauty are wonderful!! I know the loss of a baby, but not that of an older child I have raised at then subsequently watched wither away. Your daughter is worth the kudos as well!

Your story has inspired me to get moving again...I push to move...jog, etc, but I was on the verge of giving up tonight because it is so hard! You, your son, and your daughter make it worth working for!

Add me if you wish, but you are amazing, and I love you for being here! YOU GO GIRL!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are completely awesome!

Congratulations on quitting smoking.

I lost my grandmother last year at age 79 from smoking-related cancer, and it just makes me so happy to see you here, smoke-free, and living the best life you can! I'll wager the people who love you are grateful also :smile:

Congratulations again, and if you need anything, just let me know. I'd love to support you and help you along your journey.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You're a great example to the rest of us :) Glad you're here.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm so glad you've joined us! There is a lot of inspiration on this site.
    I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your son.
    My grandmother just turned 80, and she is very much like you. She walked 5-10 km a day, and is absolutely healthy! Both of you are inspirations!