bloated

Options
What are the typical foods that tend to make you bloat? Some days I feel so bloated that I could pop - strangely I also feel hungry and the foods I have eaten are different every day so I cant pin point anything in particular. If other people say what they feel makes them bloat I may get some sort of clue what the cause of mine is.
Thanks

Replies

• robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    avoid those bad carbs! white bread, potatoes, white rice (except Basmati) - all of these make me look pregnant after I've eaten them! I've stuck to a low GI diet for a few months now and every time I try some of these, even one small roast potato it feels like I've eaten a massive meal.
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree, its the bad carbs! Pasta too. I follow a low carb diet and so you don't feel hungry they say to add more protein, so maybe try that?
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Carbs will cause bloating for me, and having been following a low-carb diet recently I feel so much better for it.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    raw veggies do it to me. lately i have been eating a lot of celery and feel huge.

also days that i have a high sodium intake will do it for me.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - Thanks for your answers.:smile:

Does anyone know which carbs are the worst offenders ? ... I've looked at my daily intake and it is always high in carbs - I seem to live on mostly carbs, so I feel that maybe it's one particular type of carb ?!? , otherwise I would be bloated all the time instead of occasionally. I also wonder if it could be a mix of things that when in your stomach churn around causing gas / bloating. !!??

Perhaps as a starting point if I knew what the worse carb offenders are then it may be a good idea to cut those out and see what happens - rather than cut all carbs out.............god only knows what I'd eat if I cut ALL carbs out as I'm not a great lover of meat. LOL

Thanks
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Carbs will cause bloating for me, and having been following a low-carb diet recently I feel so much better for it.

Where did you find this diet ? Is it on MFP ?

Thanks
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I find bread (brown, white, whatever) to be the worst offender for me. I didn't have any yesterday and felt so much better by the evening.

It's different for different people though - you've kinda gotta do a bit of investigating to see what's right for yourself :-))
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    avoid those bad carbs! white bread, potatoes, white rice (except Basmati) - all of these make me look pregnant after I've eaten them! I've stuck to a low GI diet for a few months now and every time I try some of these, even one small roast potato it feels like I've eaten a massive meal.
    Are you serious?

/facepalm
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    branflakes do me no good at all!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bread...definitely! Anything to do with wheat. I stopped eating it a couple of months ago and feel so much better. Also, I am finally able to lose weight, something that I could not do when I was eating wheat. A lot of people have a high intolerence to wheat.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Funny- wholegrain bread actually seems to get my digestion really going, and it fights a bloat if I come across one...

I've recently noticed me not managing bell peppers. Whatever colour, and even whatever cooking/preparing method I use. Really drives me nuts, I love raw peppers -.-
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    Usually I dont have a "high" carb diet, pretty balanced and well rounded lately I have ate a lot more bread, pasta etc and I look 3 months pregnant I am always slightly bloated due to IBS however the past few days I have ballooned out !!

if you cut certain carbs out one at at time you will come to the conclusion on which one is your trouble problem area

xx
  • december8teen
    Options
    Sodium. They're the culprit.
  • mbissey
    Options
    Raw veggies, cooked onions and garlic, dried fruit, and sometimes beans make me feel like I'm going to pop. I have to really watch my portion sizes. Wheat products or other carbs don't cause any problems. I'm sure it's a personal thing. My mom can't tolerate gluten or dairy without bloating. I think you'll just have to do some trial and error. Good luck!
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?

/facepalm

serious! totally ruined the roast dinner I was enjoying, couldn't finish it!
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    have you ever stopped to think it might actually be the sodium in your foods????

Processed foods, like pasta sauces in jars contain a **** load of sodium and therefore you will retain water because of the sodium

Start cooking fresh and I bet you notice a difference