Ounces help!

Options
I am so bad at guessing ounces and so many things have a serving size of # ounces. Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am so bad at guessing ounces and so many things have a serving size of # ounces. Anyone have any tips?

get a food scale. $10 or so at wal mart
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dave198lbs. Every kitchen should have a food scale.
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Couldn't do this without my scales. One of the reasons I am overweight is because of my too big portion sizes. It's amazing what 50grams of cooked rice actually looks like - its a lot smaller than you think!
  • CindyRx
    CindyRx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I found this website if you're thinking of times when you go out to eat or don't have a scale available. It has comparisons such as a deck of cards = 3 oz. of meat, 1 tsp. of peanut butter = a lipstick cap, and 1 cup of pasta = 1 baseball just to name a few.

http://www.lhj.com/health/weight-loss/getting-started/portion-sizes/
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

get a food scale. $10 or so at wal mart
    6.99 :laugh:

I was guessing my chicken for a year and was way off!!!

I had one in the house I didnt know about and tried it one day... I actually save money using this now. I was guessing my size for chicken and supplementing the amount of protein needed for the day with shakes. After I started using it, I realized I was off and didn't actually need that extra shake for the day. I went from 3 shakes/day to one.... food for thought
  • Clarimusic00
    Clarimusic00 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank-you for all the suggestions. A scale is on my list of things to buy soon!