ahhh food pushers!!!

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
I totally snapped at my boyfriend and his friend....because they were pushing creamy garlic pizza dip and i had already said no..i can only say no enough times, and then they tell me to get my facts straight about weight loss and that it isn't about calories...i got so mad...i am still so mad....i hate food pushers.

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    me too. especially the ones that tell me your not fat!!!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I know they totally suck! I had to give into my boss the other day. She came to me with this big gooey cinnamon sticky bun thing and tore off a piece and handed it to me. She said I have to try it and if I liked it she would bring me more tomorrow! Could NOT say no. I'm surprised she didn't shove it in my mouth! It's a really uncomfortable situation no matter who it is. But sounds like maybe your boyfriend needs a few facts about weight loss and the fact that about 90% of it is willpower to say NO! People are always trying to push food everywhere we go, and at some point you gotta say no. Good for you for fighting the temptation! :smile:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    next time he pushes it on u kick him in the shins and ask him how it feels :laugh:

230130.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. Any time I go home, my parents are like "Lets get Chinese," or they want to go to the local "Everything-Is-Fried" joint. Mom actually said "Well it's okay, you can get a salad without cheese, bacon or dressing!" Yeah. That's what I want to do. Watch all of you enjoy your food at my favorite restauraunt and stare at a plate of tasteless nastiness. Yet they tell me to keep up the good work while shoving temptation in my face. Then they wonder why I don't come home anymore. Some people can be a bit thoughtless.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    bahaha tasteless nastiness!! I'm worried about going home and visiting my family...they think if I don't eat that I'm starving or there's something wrong. Plus there is nothing there that I can eat! Guess I'll just go to the gym for like 10 hours afterward haha
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Take some food with you and cook at night. It's what I had to resort to. Good luck with that. Seriously. Going home has always been one of the biggest causes of a derailed diet for me
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    My problen with visiting my parents isn't them pushing food in my face, It's bordem. I end up alone in the house during the day while they are at work. Since I generally fly when I visit, I don't have a car and walking on the streets is asking to be hit by a car. It's horrible. It's why I only visit about once a year.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you had to go through that. This journey is a hard one to grasp for those who are not on it. We are the ones experiencing it day in and day out and we are the ones that are going to be
    "H-O-T...hot" when it's over.

I am fortunate enough to have a wonderful support group with my family. My husband doesn't work out with me because of our special needs son but he is very supportive. However, my daughters are getting into working out with me and making good eating decisions and we are having a great time.

I would just explain to him that you support him on things that he does and he should support you as well and that definitely means with food. If you say no, you mean no. At least you're not asking them not to eat it in front of you at all.

Hang in there and good luck!

210557.png
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    Food pushers are the WORST! My fiance, who supports me until it effects his eating, is always pushing me to buy the unhealthy foods. It's just too hard for me to say no right now if that food is in the house. So then he makes me feel guilty by saying he's not the one who wants to lose weight and why should he suffer and blah blah blah.

To be fair he's only 5 lbs obverweight. Which he's probably lost already. lol
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    My dad is a food pusher. I hate being around him for meals. All I hear is "eat something" or "you don't eat enough" or are you hungry...do you want ________" like every 10 minutes. I swear I am not starving...I'm healthy...arrgg...they are the worst!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    :tongue: i am so glad that everyone else goes through it to...it levels off the playing field!
  • twocats
    twocats Posts: 31
    Options
    My husband and I visit his parents every weekend. His mom is 82 and loves to cook and eat. Every single time we go she insists on sending loads of food home with us. Lasagna, noodles, meatloaf. Last week she sent us home with 3 bags of food. We tell her we can't eat it all; we tell her no. It makes no difference.

We came home last week and threw everything away but the garden lettuce and onions. I felt horrible doing this because it is wasteful - but I won't eat all that fatty stuff.

Have decided that since she is pretty much house-bound that giving us food makes her feel that she is taking care of us. I just wish she would show her love in another way. Our next visit is July 4th and I'm dreading the leave-taking and all the stuff she'll want to send us home with.
  • Das_Modell
    Das_Modell Posts: 167
    Options
    we have this new lady from a company who mostly takes care of the elderly. She takes care of my great gma when me, my mom, and my gma ( her daughter) are gone for work etc. She get's so bored she likes to do stuff like tha past 2 times she's cooked. Then she makes a batch of chocolate FAT brownies and she just cuts a piece for all of us and put's it in front of us. She's not really pushing but seeing the dang brownie on the table makes me really want to eat it .
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    My husband and I visit his parents every weekend. His mom is 82 and loves to cook and eat. Every single time we go she insists on sending loads of food home with us. Lasagna, noodles, meatloaf. Last week she sent us home with 3 bags of food. We tell her we can't eat it all; we tell her no. It makes no difference.

We came home last week and threw everything away but the garden lettuce and onions. I felt horrible doing this because it is wasteful - but I won't eat all that fatty stuff.

Have decided that since she is pretty much house-bound that giving us food makes her feel that she is taking care of us. I just wish she would show her love in another way. Our next visit is July 4th and I'm dreading the leave-taking and all the stuff she'll want to send us home with.

My Mamaw is 92 and is the same way!!! She really takes offense if I don't eat the cake!!! lol I love her so much and she is such a wonderful sweet lady! She said " Dr Phil says not eating enough will make u starve!" So funny, she just wants everyone to eat for some reason! God love her... So, I do the best I can on Sundays. I try not to go overboard and make her think I'm eating more than I do. It is still my cheat day though!:drinker:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Pretty annoying if people won't take "NO" for an answer. Would they push cigarettes on a non-smoker? Hmm, some probably would. Just tell yourself "misery loves company" and be firm.

It is difficult when it's your sweet elderly mother though; it's probably best to accept the food and dispose of it later. When my son was still living at home I had no problem with unwanted food; now he lives with two of his friends and although it's about a 20 minute drive to his place I know food won't go to waste there :laugh:
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    My problen with visiting my parents isn't them pushing food in my face, It's bordem. I end up alone in the house during the day while they are at work. Since I generally fly when I visit, I don't have a car and walking on the streets is asking to be hit by a car. It's horrible. It's why I only visit about once a year.

I get bored over at my parents' house too. Pretty soon, I find myself standing in front of the pantry thinking "I'm not even hungry, what am I doing here?"
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

I would feel bad throwing all kinds of food that an 82 year old woman has cooked for me. I understand she won't take no. That's hard. You have to take it.

Just a thought.:flowerforyou:

There must be somewhere/someone you can drop the food off to?
    Friends, neighbours, street people, hostels.?

Reason I mentioned it, sounds like it will never end. She'll give you food, that you don't want.
    You'll feel better if you know someone is going to eat her food.
    Make a plan of where your going to take it, and then everytime you visit and leave with food you can take it to that special place.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options

I would feel bad throwing all kinds of food that an 82 year old woman has cooked for me. I understand
    she won't take no. That's hard. You have to take it.

Reason I mentioned it, sounds like it will never end. She'll give you food, that you don't want.
    Make a plan of where your going to take it, and then everytime you visit and leave with food you can take it to that special place.

What a wonderful idea! :flowerforyou:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • euphoria11
    euphoria11 Posts: 49
    Options
    Super idea.
    What a great way to help someone out, and not waste food.
    I HATE wasted food... ESPECIALLY yummy food. haha.
    :)

I would feel bad throwing all kinds of food that an 82 year old woman has cooked for me. I understand she won't take no. That's hard. You have to take it.

• healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    Wow, i hate that too! I have a certain friend who is like that and she only weighs like 105 so its easy for her to say that. Plus she is allergic to dairy so she basically can't eat ANYTHING bad, chocolate, cheese, lol all the bad things. I am right there with ya, sister!:happy:

-Danielle