Not Counting Calories

Options
I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were not not giving a damn about what their calorie in/out is.

I have chosen to try my best to eat as healthy as I can. I don't get it right all the time, but it is a hell of a lot better than what I used to be like. I'm not on any sort of diet, they just don't work long term. I see the bigger picture, in that picture the old fat me is now a lean mean machine( not quite there yet, getting closer though).

I see that people get worked up on what they should eat to reach or worse stay under their calorie mark that MFP has set. This is a "fitness site" used to track progress in fitness. Well that is why I joined, and how I use the site.

I have found that a lot of the food recorded in the database has inaccurate information. So If I was on a strict calorie intake diet I would be VERY concerned about using this site unless you are individually entering every food you eat personally.

That being said it doesn't mean I don't record my food. I do, though I'm not recording it for the calories rather the macros. I try and have a balanced meal each time I eat, and I have found that MFP helps me keep a record of how well my meal choices were each day.

As for the exercise part of it. I wouldn't have a clue what calories I burn and neither would this website. I use what i like to call a worse guess. Bust my *kitten* off train as intensely as i can every session whether it is running around the park, laps in the pool, or lifting weights. There's been times when I'm still sweating 2 hours after a 20 min session, how can that be only 200calories burned?

Replies

• BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I've slowly loosened up about my calories because I refuse to spend the rest of my life counting them. I lost the bulk of my weight before counting and I feel like I rely on it too much now, so I hope to slowly ease out of it.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i think whatever works for you is great! i count them but have learned through counting what a portion looks like or which foods are best and low in calories so while i still log i am comfortable going all day and not logging! i don't think i will have to log forever but i'm in practice of a new life...until i'm perfect at it, i'll log!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If I counted all those patio brews in the summer I'd be in trouble
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    For me it was a training stage. After awhile, I learned to adjust. Later I learned to let go but monitor occasionally.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    i think whatever works for you is great! i count them but have learned through counting what a portion looks like or which foods are best and low in calories so while i still log i am comfortable going all day and not logging! i don't think i will have to log forever but i'm in practice of a new life...until i'm perfect at it, i'll log!

Same as this!!! I've been in maintenance for about 4 months and still use MFP tools though I'm much better at judging portion sizes and estimating cals when out.
    I use an HRM for my exercise burns - I like to know! : )
  • danielnoble
    Options
    Im glad to see that I'm not alone. I have to admit that I am a lot more calorie aware since using MFP I'm just not relying on it to get me to my goals. Im loving my food more now then ever before and watching my body change for good makes me so happy.

Cheers to Healthy Eating!!!