Protein powders

Hi I am looking for a different protein powder. I am currently using my proteins soy protein isolate (went on a dairy free diet no longer dairy free and the soy isn,t agereing with me and tasted disgusting). I have been looking around the various sites and am a little confused. The ones aimed at women all seem to contain caffeine, guarana and green tea extract but seem lower on protein than most other powders and much higher in calories. They are also more expensive. I telephoned maxitone and they said because I still had weight to lose they would recommend a protein aimed at weight loss. I said I didn,t get it as they were double the amount of calories he said it was the addtional things that help you lose weight. My husband doesn,t believe the additions work and a good quality protein would work well enough for me.
My goals are 1, Lose another 21 lbs at least
2, have energy to run, training for a marathon
3,Tone up just started lifting weights.
I am in the UK so it needs to be something i can buy here, don,t want something really expensive and need something drinkable.
So my question is are diet proteins worth the extra money, I do not use protein powder as a meal supplement would rather eat food. I do use the maxitone meal replacement bars at work as we often don,t get breaks and they are easy to sneak of and eat and fill me up on a busy shift otherwise i could easily go 8 hours without eating anything.
I eat fairly healthily and rarely drink alcohol anymore. Any advice.

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Sorry i didnt read every detail of your requirements but wanted to say that i like gnc amplify vanilla and muscle milk. Good luck i hope u find something that works for you. :-)
  • Im not a fan of protein powders, they taste gross to me lol. My sister drinks them every morning and swears they work.
    She uses Evox.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Hi, just noticed you use my protein, just have a look at this quick if your interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/500596-my-protein-referral
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    I would agree with your husband... I dont think Diet Whey is worth the extra money.

If you want green tea then drink it etc...

Have you looked at any of the other MyProtein shakes? I really rate them as a company and quality and price is about the best in the UK!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Hiya!

I'm in the UK too and a few months ago decided I wanted to up my protein intake as I was always under. I reckon the 'diet' shakes are a load of hokum (the extra additions probably do nothing useful and as you say, they're higher in calories AND cost more) but equally did not know where to start. In the end I picked one up that was on sale in Boots, just to try. Turns out it tastes really good! It has a big muscle bound man on the front, but having read NROL4W I'm not worried about 'bulking up', I just wanted to consume more protein, and this seems to fit the bill. I set up a subscription for a massive tub every 2 months with amazon at under £40 a tub, which isn't overly cheap but it's not the most expensive I saw! I only have one shake a day and only on the days when I work out (to conserve cost) but I haven't noticed any adverse effects and my weight loss has actually improved(though that could be to do with several other factors).

It's called Sci-MX Nutrition 100% Ultragen 2280 g Chocolate Whey Protein Shake Powder. Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • Im from the UK too :) I have Syntrax Nectar - Chocolate Truffle :) its delicious (there are tons of flavours and various sizes packets/tubs, I bought mine on amazon £29) they do vary in nutritional values depending on flavour, I wanted more protein without the added carbs and sugars.

I have mine as a small chocolate milk in the mornings along with my breakfast and it keeps me from feeling hungry right till lunch now (plus I read several instances where protein intake in the morning is very good for you) I also mix it with greek yoghurt and nuts which makes like a chocolate pudding yum! and I have a small shake on days after I workout too. Also as I'm keen keeping my sugar levels down I make my shakes with Alpro unsweetened soya milk, they do an almond milk also :)
  • Bodybuilding.com sells Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey for $23.99 for 2.5 lbs. I think the quality is worth the extra couple of dollars.
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    I really really like GNC Lean 25. It's more for women but has 25 g of protein. It can be a little pricey at GNC but they have little single serving sample packs so you can try it first, which helped me decide, AND I bought my big container on ebay half price ;) lol. I really like the chocolate one. I usually add a couple extra strawberries or a banana, making it in a blender... yummy.