new, with ALOT to lose!

Options
Hello,
I found this site looking for an online food journal, I'm really liking it so far!
2.5 years ago I was 140 lbs, healthy and athletic, now I'm at 290, and can barely do half a minute of jumping jacks!
Started with a car accident, then an illness, (not making excuses for myself!), then turned into an emotional eating problem.
Right now I'm really trying to focus on eating right and fighting the urges to eat every carb I can find!

I was in competitive track from high school all through uni, it was easy then, but now I get on a treadmill and after 5 minutes of jogging I want to die, lol.
I really don't now where to start when it comes to exercise, anyone else new to it that has any advice, I would LOVE to hear it!
I tried a personal trainer, but I just couldn't keep up.

I have gone down about 10 pounds since I started watching what I eat a month ago, which is really encouraging! But what I love about this site is it isn't just what you eat, it's about getting healthy and fit!

Replies

• Alicai
    Alicai Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. There is a lot of support here. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    helllo!!!
    good for you to making the first step... thats the hardest part

feel free to add me :)
  • cnt21811
    cnt21811 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • gigglegurt3
    Options
    I'm new here to. Only been on the site for 10 days. I also have alot to lose. Add me if you like :):)
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    HI YOU CAN ADD ME IF YOU LIKE, I as the same with the treadmil and im doing race4life in july so to start im doing zumba a few times a week to get my cardio up. then ill start on the treadmil in april and i do jog 1min, walk 2 mins do this for 20 mins then the next session ill do 1.5 mins jog,2 mins walk for 20mins, then every time i push a little more untill i can do a full 5 mins jog then will be 5min jog 2min walk 2min jog - keep goin untill i can do 3 sets of 5 in the 20min session.oh and i chew gum when exercising it helps sum how with my breathing?
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Heya, In October last year I could barely suffice 5 mins on the elliptical, now I do 40-60mins every day...it's all about baby steps and building it up!

I started off at 257lbs and was around 238lbs when I joined MFP....so it does work! It's hard work, but you've got to focus and put your mind to it and then you'll start seeing results, and the results are usually enough motivation to keep going. Plus there is an amazing support network on here that's around 24/7 to help you!

I sent you a friend request....can't wait to follow your journey!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good luck, we're all in this together, and although everyone else is saying 'add me as a friend', you can me too. It's just nice when you're new to know you have support and we're all in the same situation! A bit of support from new found friends is awesome! It's helping me, however I just know what I need to do now after asking questions around here - everyone is so supportive!

I hope you get back to your 'norm', and do not feel ashamed and definitely do not say you're making excuses! It happens to the best of us. You're losing weight for yourself, no one else, so said 'excuses' are only to you - not to us!
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome pls add me if you want im 283lbs at the moment and at the start.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hiya, and welcome. I was about 330lbs when I started, so also really struggled with exercise. I did a lot of walking, even though I hated it to start, and I also bought an exercise bike. I started off doing 10 mins at a time, which was a massive struggle, I did that for a couple of weeks, then increased it to 11 mins, and so on and so on, just increasing by a min at a time, then a couple of mins, then 5 mins as I got stronger. I kept a manual journal of what I had done, not just the time, but the distance I went in that time, and the cals burned, so I could see how I was improving. I really found that useful for motivating me to push myself a bit harder.

These days I can cycle for up to an hour, I also have a mini stepper, can walk for about 8 miles, and am planning on starting C25K soon.

Good luck to you, if I can do it, I am sure you can too :flowerforyou:
  • SandyQ229
    SandyQ229 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    FEEL FREE TO ADD ME. we have right around the same starting weight and im trying to get down to 145ish,
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Good Luck with your journey here. and Welldone on your weight loss so far that an amazing achievement! The best advice I can give you is to start small so your body gets used to the excercise walk on the treadmill on a low setting and leave it at that setting for two weeks and then start to up it a bit at a time that goes for any machine or anything else you do. Doing one good sit up is better than doing ten bad ones and eventually itll turn into ten good ones. Just be patient and let your body adjust to the change your forcing on it :flowerforyou:
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options

I tried a personal trainer, but I just couldn't keep up.

Look for a good one! A good personal trainer adapts his program to your abilities and fitness level! A good personal trainer makes you do things you think you cannot do, but still can.
    So apparently this was was a bad one!

I wish you lots of motivation and strength on your way :-)
  • liljgrafix
    Options
    Hey welcome. The first step to your journey is the hardest but most satisfying in the end. and congrats on wanting to take charge in your life. feel free to add me
  • sunshynrn
    Options
    I am new as well, feel free to add me. This site is wonderful.
  • MissedStar
    Options
    Hi i'm new as well and am jumping on the add me bandwagon
    To get my fitness up i've started doing zumba which is brilliant and i do alot of trampolining
    all sport is good! i don't dare go near the treadmill cause i run for 2 minutes than have to spend 5 minutes gaining some breath back
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well done so far. I've been using the site for just over a month and I find it really helpful. Feel free to add me as a friend because it really helps when you get some encouragement for others when you log in.

One thing I would definitely recommend to start you off with exercise is Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd. It gave me a great start and I saw a huge improvement in my fitness after doing it.

:-)
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you want to try to start running the Couch to 5k programme is great, it is all about short intervals and building up slowly, you can download podcasts etc to help you on your way.

Good luck
  • sprengers
    Options
    Hi,
    well done so far you've done really well!
    all i would say is dont do too much too quick, i started at the gym and hated it, which meant i gave up untill my friend introduced me to here. I started to watch what i ate and couldnt believe the calaries i was eating, now i do body tonning for 20 mins everyother day at home which i enjoy and next i will go back to the gym for class's.
    I look forward to following your weight loss.
  • dwahler
    dwahler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new too started about 3 weeks ago. Have lost 9 pounds so far. I also was looking for a journal when I found this site. It seems to have a lot of support.

Good Luck
  • shar0006
    shar0006 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! Congratulations on the 10 lbs already. For exercise, I suggest finding something you that you enjoy doing. I recently got into Zumba at my gym. Since you were a runner in the past, perhaps try signing yourself up for a 5k and then using the Couch to 5k program.

I was never a runner and envied those that could. I've always been a swimmer (which is great exercise if you have a gym with a pool). One of my friends wanted to do a half marathon, so we did Disney's Princess Half Marathon, and finishing that was the best feeling in the world. We started with 5ks and found longer races, and headed off to Orlando!

Another idea is water areobics, this is a great calorie burner with zero gravity and constant resistance. So if you are still hurting from your accident, I would recommend this.

Congratulations again and best of luck!