Sodium and water retention

Options
Hi,
First, let me start by saying that I love this site. It is fantastic to have a community that can help each other out. My question is about Sodium. Now, I know that I am not suppose to consume to much sodium for health reasons (i.e., blood pressure. heart, etc,). But I don't know why people say that it makes you retain water. I thought that sodium makes so dehydrated and that is the reason that you should not drink saltwater... That it will dehydrate you and pull the water out of your system.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Scott

17264586.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• smpross
    smpross Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • getfitnow33
    Options
    Hey Hun, you would think that it makes sense what you said but for sum reason it makes you retain water. I use to eat sunflower seeds by droves and my feet, legs, and hands would be soooooo swollen and ackey. The funny thing is my mouth and skin would be soooooo dry but my body would produce water. I could take my thumb and press my ankle and it would leave an inprint of my thumb that would be there for a min. Now that im eatting right i notice alot of the food we eat all be it healthy may lack in fat and calories but has alot of sodium. Like chicken and turkey hotdogs.

16730282.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • smpross
    smpross Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!

Scott
  • getfitnow33
    Options
    np love
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Salt dries out the skin but taking a lot of sodium causes the body to lose potassium which can cause edema(swelling caused by fluid in your body's tissues) among other things.

If you react to high salt intake, you should eat more potassium rich foods.