Lack of Energy

How did you handle it? Right now my legs are sore and in pain due to my diabetes and HBP. I wanna workout or stick to a fitness program. I always start my week positive that I will do my workouts but at the end of the week I can't handle the pain or the lack of energy.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!!! :-)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    If you start your week with a lot of energy and by the end of the week you are tired and weak, you are either not eating enough calories to fuel your workouts or you are not giving your body enough rest between workouts.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Diabetes is tough, my husband has it and he never has energy or motivation for much! Are u on anything for the pain?
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Diabetes is tough, my husband has it and he never has energy or motivation for much! Are u on anything for the pain?

No, just OTC pain pills
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Does it hurt to walk? Or ride a bike, those seem to be the easiest for me to do, although i dont have diabetes, but....low impact and peaceful....wanting to do more is a big struggle!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Lots of pain and lack of energy doesn't sound good to me! My instinct would be for you to be much kinder and gentler with yourself. What about something like some gentle swimming in warm water? Or some stretching like yoga or pilates? Or just a gentle walk?

Set yourself *achievable* goals so you don't get into a cycle of enthusiasm, failure then beating yourself up.

Remember you don't actually have to exercise to lose weight if you stick to your calorie goals.

And what is your weightloss goal? Maybe move it back a bit so you're aiming to less in a week. Slow and steady wins the race!

How is your nutrition? Are you eating enough protein, natural sugars and good fats and oils for energy?

What about sleep?

What about your mental state? If you're very stressed or depressed or grieving that is likely to rob you of your energy.

Good luck on your journey!
  • giselle9938
    I regulary walk in a 3.5 pace but when I'm in pain I do it slower so I can handle it even with the pain. Also I have a zumba video for arms and torso. Its only 25 minutes but it don't have a lot of moves on the legs.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    How did you handle it? Right now my legs are sore and in pain due to my diabetes and HBP. I wanna workout or stick to a fitness program. I always start my week positive that I will do my workouts but at the end of the week I can't handle the pain or the lack of energy.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!!! :-)

Muscle rub cream and epson salt bath are good for the pain. You can buy both at the Dollar Tree. How often do you check your blood sugar and do you take a diabetic medicine that can make you tired? Exercise lowers the blood sugar and if the blood sugar is already low, like 90, don't exercise. Why? Exercise can bring your blood sugar down to under 70, which isn't good.

Make sure you are eating enough carbs. 45 grams of carbs per meal and 15 grams per snack. Make sure you are eating 28g of fiber a day and make sure you are drinking enough water. Another thing, you might want to get your doctor to test you for anemia. It's normal to have both diabetics and anemia.
  • lclee2342
    lclee2342 Posts: 7 Member
    I have osteoarthritis and just walking through normal daily routine is a challenge. Cleaning the house is a big challenge for me. I need to lose some pounds and that will help with normal movements and pain. For me, standing in place and briskly stepping back and forth, almost like jogging, gives me some good results for cardio and metabolism. Bending from waist to reach toward doing cross toe touching seems to be a good stretching movement. My efforts would seem like a joke to someone who can do real workouts, but I figure that for me, doing what I can--anything--stretching--moving--is so much better than doing nothing! Even so, I have as much trouble getting motivated to do these things as you might have to do something much more challenging. Making ourselves get up and do whatever we can do--the motivation to do it seems to be the real problem and the real key to success.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    The first thing I would do is check with your Doctor! Could be you are low on some vital nutrients or something else may be going on such as PAD (peripheral artery disease) since from your posts it looks like the pain is in your legs and exhaustion goes along with it. You should make sure you are safe!
  • giselle9938
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I already scheduled a visit to my Doctor. Thanks!
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    My mom is diabetic and has Fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis (hope I spelled that right). She usually does the Elliptical, at a slow pace, for about 20-30 minutes. She can't do it everyday, but it has helped her. Another thing I've noticed is that even if she has pain, she'll keep moving. The only times won't is when the pain is too much to handle. I think that by the end of the week you should try the elliptical or just walking at a slower pace. I hope this works!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    If you start your week with a lot of energy and by the end of the week you are tired and weak, you are either not eating enough calories to fuel your workouts or you are not giving your body enough rest between workouts.

I fully agree with this statement...

Also I would recommend hyping up your protein intake, it helps with the reconstruct of muscle after workout.