What is the best way to lose weight on thighs and stomach?

Options
I do the elliptical 4 times a week and sometimes I will do the 30 Day shred. I carry all my weight on thighs and stomach. What kind of excercises worked for anyone regarding thighs and stomach?

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Squats! Won't spot reduce fat, of course (because its impossible) but will give you great muscles in your thighs and bum and make them look fantastic.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I think it's pretty common for women. Sadly there's no way to pinpoint what part of your body you lose weight from, you just have to keep working and wait for your body to catch up with your efforts. You can exercise to strengthen muscles but you can't make fat come off of specific parts of your body, your body just does what it's going to do.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The only way to spot reduce is to lose weight everywhere.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was mostly doing cardio to loose the weight first and drinking more water along with my mfp diet and my belly has gone down a lot. Just starting to get serious with weight today now that I lost some.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Move more. :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Supposedly interval training burns more fat than other cardio. There is also some evidence that intervals burn more belly fat than other cardio. At the very least it burns more calories...and as a result you will lose more fat, which is a win win. So you might as well try it. :D
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I do some cardio and lots of squats& crunches with medicine ball. I'm getting good results so far.
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    Using a stationary bicycle or better yet, a REAL bicycle is ideal, because you work not just your thighs & stomach, but also your butt.
    :smile:
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Supposedly interval training burns more fat than other cardio. There is also some evidence that intervals burn more belly fat than other cardio. At the very least it burns more calories...and as a result you will lose more fat, which is a win win. So you might as well try it. :D
    Yea...key word: supposedly. EPOC, Afterburn effect, etc., show some increase in fat burning, but it's not enough to make any real difference for anyone. It's ultimately a way to try to sell something else to someone. Think about it, what would be the reason behind belly fat being increased more than say leg fat, if you're running sprints? It's just that people have come to hate belly fat so much that any hint to anything targeting it gets super blown out of proportion to sell people on getting to some website, on some list, buying this pill or that potion. Elliptical, running, cycling, squats, doesnt matter. Either you have the genetics with alpha/beta 2 receptors, etc., that burns belly fat faster than other sources or you don't. You work out, get your macs, and burn fat, and see where you are a year from today. The main problem is that people generally still don't understand the importance of proper fat and general nutritional intake. While this site is a good place to track it, I always tell my clients to rearrange most "default" parameters given on here. And the exercise protocol may need to change with the intake protocol. I still can't believe how many people are still trying to super-exercise off the weight around here, and everyone gets good comments because they "came in under their calorie goal"....every freaking day. i never see anyone, other than myself, comment on how you might need to make sure you ate enough. We track, and we still want to eat less and less and less...and wonder why our bodies don't want to do what we want them to do.
  • ronellevan
    Options
    Cardio is good, but weight/resistance training is better - a mixture of both is best.
  • purplelady87
    purplelady87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • purplelady87
    Options
    so what exactly is your advice?
  • purplelady87
    Options
    Yea...key word: supposedly. EPOC, Afterburn effect, etc., show some increase in fat burning, but it's not enough to make any real difference for anyone. It's ultimately a way to try to sell something else to someone. Think about it, what would be the reason behind belly fat being increased more than say leg fat, if you're running sprints? It's just that people have come to hate belly fat so much that any hint to anything targeting it gets super blown out of proportion to sell people on getting to some website, on some list, buying this pill or that potion. Elliptical, running, cycling, squats, doesnt matter. Either you have the genetics with alpha/beta 2 receptors, etc., that burns belly fat faster than other sources or you don't. You work out, get your macs, and burn fat, and see where you are a year from today. The main problem is that people generally still don't understand the importance of proper fat and general nutritional intake. While this site is a good place to track it, I always tell my clients to rearrange most "default" parameters given on here. And the exercise protocol may need to change with the intake protocol. I still can't believe how many people are still trying to super-exercise off the weight around here, and everyone gets good comments because they "came in under their calorie goal"....every freaking day. i never see anyone, other than myself, comment on how you might need to make sure you ate enough. We track, and we still want to eat less and less and less...and wonder why our bodies don't want to do what we want them to do.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe how many people are still trying to super-exercise off the weight around here, and everyone gets good comments because they "came in under their calorie goal"....every freaking day. i never see anyone, other than myself, comment on how you might need to make sure you ate enough. We track, and we still want to eat less and less and less...and wonder why our bodies don't want to do what we want them to do.

This has also dumbfounded me from day 1. Why are people congratulating each other on eating way under their calorie goals?

It just makes me feel kinda bad for them since I know it's going to backfire really badly.

Original Question: There's no way to spot reduce. Just keep working out and eating right and you'll lose the fat. Slowly but surely.
  • purplelady87
    Options
    I understand what you are saying and I do completely agree with you. I eat enough and healthy foods, I do not starve myself and get in as much as nutrients, protein and carbs as I should. My exercises have been working for me so far but I want to change it up so my body doesn't get use to one or two things and I hit a plateau.
  • purplelady87
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I think it's a myth that you can't spot reduce. I find that a sharp scalpel and some heavy duty bandages work pretty well.
  • Sauterelle67
    Options
    I drink a "green shake" every morning and it reduces bloating (a lot)!
    In a blender (1 cup cold water, about a cup of kale (leafs only), a cup of chopped celery, about half a english cucumber, one apple, 5 frozen strawberries, juice of half a lemon and 1 tablespoon of grounded chia seeds).
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Lose weight overall. You can't lose weight in just one area. You can do strength exercises to tone muscle, but that's about it. Do some squats and planks to tone, it does make you feel good in the mean time. Everyone is different, but I found the elliptical to be a waste of time unless you do a harder level, so I switched to a treadmill until it's warm enough to bike and run outside.
  • Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have also hit a plateau and utilize my elliptical atleast 4 times per week, swim and bike another day. I am starting to research some other exercises. I found this one today and I am giving it a shot. :wink: http://www.examiner.com/personal-training-in-hartford/tone-you-inner-thighs-with-cosmopolitan I am finding the pretzel is impossible for me. I will have to really work on that one. After the ankle tap, it has to be working my inner thigh is on fire.