Late Night Snacking

Options
I have the HARDEST time not eating before I go to bed. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I dont know how to give it up! I know its one of the WORSE things to do! What do I do? Or what can I eat that wont be so bad before bed???

Replies

• semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been putting my yoplait light yogurts in the freezer and I have them as my bedtime snack. I'm terrible with portion control so this limits me to a serving size of only about 100 calories.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Eating late is fine, it's total daily calories that matter.

I'm also hungry at night, so I forgo breakfast and eat 1,000 calories or more about 2 hours before bed. I haven't had any problems with it.
  • Twinkletoestasha
    Twinkletoestasha Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a bottle of water by me come 8pm as I am terrible. Everytime I think about a snack I have some water (flavoured helps) Maybe try that as 9 times out of 10 its thirst with me.:drinker:
  • Marrcia3
    Options
    Thank you that sounds good...I have been doing frozen grapes but it does not help me to much
  • m615dan
    Options
    Every night I fall asleep eating goldfish...... sooo bad
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I notice when I workout at night I don't want to snack as much! I guess it really doesn't matter what you eat as long as it fits in your calories.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a good late night snack. As you can have a HUGE bowl in front of the tv & not waste too many calories.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have just started to "cure" myself of eating late at night. Well I still eat but its almost nothing!
    So here's my tricks-

Under no circumstances watch any type of cooking shows or food related shows after 7pm!

Second, If your feeling a crave grab a piece of dark chocolate (70% cacao or darker.. the darker the better)- Let it melt in your mouth .. . DONT CHEW IT!

These two tricks have almost cured me of binge eating at night! Hope this helps you!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i'd just eat less during the day when your will power is the strongest and leave yourself a nice buffer for late night snacks. Just hit your macros/calories, time of day you ingest food has no real impact on weight loss.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've heard that's called Insom-nom-nom-nia :laugh:

I dont know why, but I've never had a late night snacking problem, because I always wake up hungry anyway, I just tell myself I wont be any less hungry in the morning if I eat more at night. But if it fits in my cals/macros I dont worry about it. I've never understood the thought that eating before bed is a bad thing, if overall you arent eating too much.
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That is a hard habit to break. Right now I'm doing pretty good with it. A few things I've tried I'll sit and do my nails while watching TV at night, buff and clear polish, hey my hands look GREAT! LOL. I'm currently addicted to Crystal Light, I'm a sweets snacker so I think this helps my sweet tooth. Sometimes it's really hard but if I'm TRULY hungry I'll do strawberris, blueberris, apples, grapes or anything fruit related and put Equal or Splenda on it.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have just started to "cure" myself of eating late at night. Well I still eat but its almost nothing!
    So here's my tricks-

Under no circumstances watch any type of cooking shows or food related shows after 7pm!

Second, If your feeling a crave grab a piece of dark chocolate (70% cacao or darker.. the darker the better)- Let it melt in your mouth .. . DONT CHEW IT!

These two tricks have almost cured me of binge eating at night! Hope this helps you!

^
    "
    "This
    I also stop at 7 pm and have used very dark chocolate.
    I actually announce, out loud, "The kitchen is Closed!" I laugh at myself because the only ones to hear this announcement is me and three cats. Somehow verbalizing it made a difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I have the HARDEST time not eating before I go to bed. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I dont know how to give it up! I know its one of the WORSE things to do! What do I do? Or what can I eat that wont be so bad before bed???
    There really is NO TIME that's bad to eat. If you have alotted calories for that late night snack, then eat them. If you go over in calories you'll gain weight regardless of when you eat them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RJAgeo
    RJAgeo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I eat jalapeño slices. It doesn't take too long before my mouth is burning, and eating doesn't seem so appealing! It's no more than 10 calories.
  • NancyB76
    Options
    I find chewing gum help cut my snack craving.
  • brandilaine22
    Options
    I am horrible with snacking as well. The worst part is when I get so consumed with the movie or whatever that I am watching, that I don't pay attention to what I am stuffing in my face lol. So what I have forced myself to do the last few nights is have an apple (I am SO slow at eating apples for some reason, hee hee) and a huge glass of water. I find it distracts me, and also takes that sting away of craving something (usually I crave crunchy things). Not sure if that would work for everyone, but it sure has worked for me!!
  • ladyamandajane
    Options
    I used to be that bad at late night snacking that if I went to bed and didnt have a snack before bedtime I would wake in the middle of the night and go and eat something, yes 2, 3 and 4pm in the morning CRAZY.

I have got out of the habit because thats what I felt it was and now after I have had my tea and dessert, always have dessert such as low fat yogate or sugar free jelly i dont eat, if I do feel the urge I have a drink and if its really bad I will have something like a small piece of chocolate and let it melt, oh what a treat it feels.

Keeep the calorie losing faith!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • shevmg
    shevmg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I hear ya- I am the same way :( I try not to eat before bed, but if I have to I eat air popped popcorn... or I drink a low fat hot chocolate or a caffeine free tea-

Or if I am really trying not to eat before bed- i just keep myself busy & that seems to work for me... what my friend does- is she just goes upstairs earlier say around 8:00pm or 8:30pm that way she is away from the kichen LOL
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I know you've probably already heard it, but it is not at all the worst thing you can do. it is, really, just a thing that you can do. no worries. I have a snack after work at around 1 a.m. every night.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a dark chocolate with spices (the one that works best is cayenne and chili powder; the one I enjoy most is fresh lemon and sweet basil.) I find that even eating just one helps immensely with cravings...and they are only 50cal each. I've been eating one during the day, but I may try it at night. Bought 'em with a groupon, so they were cheap, but I think they have "sold" me. If anyone is interested, the chocolates are at spicerackchocolates.com. They also have an "en fuego" collection for those of you out there who are looking for a really spicy chocolate. Something about spices and chocolate really does it for me! I have looked at the "just rights" but I think I would inhale them!