Any vegetarians here?

Options
What are some low calorie nutritious vegetarian foods? I'm struggling to find some. I dont like lentils of tofu :(

Please help me out if you can :) Thank you so much

Replies

• alepublicity
    alepublicity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What are some low calorie nutritious vegetarian foods? I'm struggling to find some. I dont like lentils of tofu :(

Please help me out if you can :) Thank you so much

Hi!

I am not a vegetarian but I dont eat red meat only chicken and sometimes tuna and turkey white meats.
    and not all the time I really have a hard time finding things that have the proteins I need!

I started drinking Bio x whey it has 130 calories and 32 grams of protein per spoon. this is only to be use as a supplement! I eat lots of broccoli, green beans soy beans regular beans in combination with brown rice give you the proteins your body needs!

I hate Tofu so I stay away from it!
    Do you eat eggs? they are a great source of protein and they dont have a lot of calories.
    asparagus are also great! I love them boiled or cooked or even in an omelet they have a fantastic flavor.
    zucchini is one of my favorite veggies because alone it has a great flavor and combined with onions and tomatoes cooked it just gives it a great flavor!

I hope this helps!

I have learned that cooking your own food is the best way to see exactly what is in your food! and how much of what is in it!
  • sineadm09
    sineadm09 Posts: 113
    Options
    ''I eat lots of broccoli, green beans soy beans regular beans in combination with brown rice give you the proteins your body needs!'

Thank you for that :)

I've never tasted zucchini lol I will give it a try.

I know nuts provide lots of protein but they contain so much calories,they aren't really worth it.

Thank you for replying,its much appreciated and good luck with your diet :)
  • ewarmack
    ewarmack Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

I have been a vegetarian for 17 years and just recently started eating sea food because I moved to a small fishing village in Alaska. I would suggest a visit to the lovely aisles of a natural food store near you or even large chain stores have vegetarian options. Just try things that look appealing. Where do you live? When i was younger I ate a lot of morningstar farms products (chick patties are low calorie and tasty on salads in place of chicken) and boca burgers just to change it up from tofu which I guess is not for everyone. Now, I use many kinds of beans and healthy high protein grains like quinoa, but I live in a remote area where I have to make everything homemade. Try looking at 101cookbooks.com for inspiration. I just made a garbanzo bean burger from this site that was great with sprouts and grilled veggies. As a vegetarian nuts and beans are your friend; think about how much fat is in most meals with meat. You should have room in a 1200 calorie per day diet for a handful of nuts. I end up eating more protein than suggested most days and I rarely go over 1200 calories. Good luck to you,
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (10 years and counting) and I don't find it TOO difficult, but definitely not easy. I am a pretty strict Vegetarian. The only animal products I do eat are free range eggs and products containing dairy. I don't drink milk directly and prefer almond milk to the others. I don't eat cheese containing animal rennet and buy cheese from companies with ethical backgrounds. Point being, I have additional obstacles between me and a balanced diet.

Though I must admit, I'm not a big snacker so I tend to have more calories during my meals. Most of my meals consist of one thing that is probably on the high calorie side, but I just go easy on it. And then I combine it with veggies. I'm pretty picky and don't like tofu or anything like that. But ooo... there are some really good veggie burgers out there. I go for the ones that are like 9-veggie burger. I know a lot of people eat the Boca burgers... but I don't really care for them. Then you can buy those buns that are super thin. I like to put Lite Goat cheese on it (very low cal for cheese) which really adds to the taste and keeps you away from other fatty dressings. Also, I don't know if you like hot dogs at all... but Tofurky makes a really good hotdog. I've tried pretty much all of them and it's the only one I like. I also have wraps on a spinach tortilla. I usually put spinach and cucumbers and lots of tomatoes and then some lite spread.

Another good meal for me is a smoothie. I will sometimes have one for lunch instead of a "normal" meal. I do use low fat frozen yogurt to add to the consistency, but not a lot of it. Mostly I use a lot of ice to thicken it up. And then whatever fruits you want. I always use a banana though. It's usually about 330 calories and it fills me up. If you eat eggs... another option is a breakfast burrito. I usually scramble up 2 medium eggs and grill bell peppers and mushrooms and put some salsa on it.

However, I am NOT a cook, so I'm sure there are far better ideas out there if you do like cooking. If it takes me more than 15 minutes, I pretty much don't want to have anything to do with it. haha. My main meal is usually a sandwich of some kind. Another thing is, I do eat a lot of bread and that might not be good for everybody. I metabolize it fine, but I know that others have a hard time with it.
    :drinker:
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh yes... and beans. Lot's of beans. They are yummy!
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 2 years and I love to check out veggie cookbooks from the local library and browse for things that look yummy and healthy!

Morning star products are a great way to transition to a veggie lifestyle. They make "meat crumbles" that you can make tacos, shepards pies, meatloafs, meat sauces for pasta, etc. that is low calorie and has protein. The chicken patties are also a great and low calorie. All the Morning Star products I've tasted have been really great and yummy!

Also try tempeh and tofu. With tofu, I found if you marinate it and freeze and then defrost and cook it gives it a chewy texture that is easier on the palate.