Grocery Shopping

Options
So I am going grocery shopping this weekend and am going to run into the same problem I usually run into, I have a family of 5 to feed and trying to feed them healthy food with out breaking the bank can be a chore. I try to go with meats, veggies, pastas, fruits for meals. We don't buy Junk food unless you consider Original Animal crackers for the kids junk food. Why is it that it seems whats good for you is so outrageously priced while all the overly processed foods that cause more health problems in the long run are the cheapest.

I want to feed my family healthy I live in New york and usually shop at a walmart but am gonna try Wegmans because I know they have a greater assortment of fresh foods and we've been wanting to check them out for a while (but they are significantly more expensive). Anyone have the same problem? How do you feed your family healthy and affordably?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be expensive! I generally avoid most boxed/packaged foods and don't spend too much. Some tips:

Shop the sales. When meat is on sale I stock up, wrap it up into appropriate portion sizes, then freeze it. I never pay full price for chicken breast, beef, etc. My freezer is always well stocked with sale meats.

Vegetables: Buy fresh if economical. Frozen veg is good too and pretty cheap. I can buy a 10 oz. box of frozen spinach on sale for $1. Ingredients: spinach! I also like to keep bags of stir fry veg on hand or other vegetable medleys to change it up.

Rice: dirt cheap! Don't buy flavored box mixes, a bag of plain brown rice is super cheap and you can flavor it yourself in any way using different cooking liquids beside water (broth, coconut milk, canned tomatoes...depending on the application) and add all sorts of vegetables to it, or saute some onions and other herbs before adding the liquid and rice.

Go meatless: using beans as the main protein of your dish is extremely cheap, even more so if you cook them from their dried state, which is easy, then you can freeze cooked beans in reasonable portion sizes. You can even do this in a crockpot.

Prepare big one pot or one pan type dishes ahead of time and keep them in your freezer for times you need a quick heat and eat meal for dinners or lunches. Lasagna, other pasta dishes, and soups freeze really well. I then portion it out, freeze, and have my own "prepared foods" when necessary.

I will roast a big chicken or turkey, then slice off the breasts whole and wrap tightly and freeze. Viola! You now have cooked chicken on hand ready for anything- sandwiches, stir fry, etc. I use the thigh, wing, and leg meat in the same manner.

Never buy deli meat. Biggest ripoff ever. Why pay $8/lb for sliced turkey when i can cook chicken breasts and slice them thinly for sandwiches for about $2/lb. Like deli roast beef? Roast your own for 1/3 of the price.

Also, for general healthy cooking and recipe inspiration, I love skinnytaste.com and eatingwell.com
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this response, sometimes its easy to forget how simple it can be to cook healthy and affordable. I will be going on those websites and checking out recipes.

I tend to make a list of meals for the month before going shopping so I have everything I need for any of those meals, I go to the local store every week to buy fresh produce if needed but I'm thinking I need to go back to frozen it will be easier, cheaper, and just as tasty! Thanks again for your help!
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! You say you live in NY near a Wegmans. Is it near Rochester? Check out the public market! They are open Tuesday/ Thursday and Saturday all year long. This week I bough a bunch of asparagus for $1, 20 gala apples for $3, Broccoli for three meals for $1.50 and a quart of incredible cherries for $2.00.

This really takes a bite out of my families produce costs. Over the past year I have gotten to know the farmers so I now have my favorite ones (fresher produce- best prices).

Good Luck
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Asian grocery nearby? Their produce is not organic but it's really, really cheap. Like a third of what it would cost elsewhere. A full cart of fresh produce has never cost me more than $30 at any Asian supermarket I've ever been to.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    I'm a few hours from Rochester, the wegmans is in binghamton and thats an hour from me. I like to go to a farmers market in the summer months can't wait till my favorite one opens up because I can spend $20 and get a ton of fresh produce.
  • AmyM713
    Options
    Do you have an Asian grocery nearby? Their produce is not organic but it's really, really cheap. Like a third of what it would cost elsewhere. A full cart of fresh produce has never cost me more than $30 at any Asian supermarket I've ever been to.

Not aware of one any wheres around here but I can google and check it out, I'm up for anything.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the meat, or even cutting it down, will save you a fortune.
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I agree, buying frozen fruits and veggies is cheaper, and they last a million times longer. We stocked up on some frozen peas and corn at Christmas time, and we're still eating them. :) I also like frozen fruit because you can let it thaw for a few minutes and it tastes and feels just like fresh, or you can eat it frozen (my favorite) and it feels kinda like you're eating a popsicle. I eat it for dessert sometimes.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Same thing goes for Latino markets- we have them all over the place here in Florida- great, fresh, CHEAP produce! and if you liike hot peppers, a GREAT selection of those too!
  • evansfarber
    evansfarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find that I save money shopping at Wegmans over Walmart. Usually their processed stuff is cheaper but the produce at Wegmans is the best. Do you have an Aldi near you? Their produce is super cheap but you have to be flexible about what you buy...if you need blueberries, they may only have pineapples but it will be about half the price of Wegmans. Wegmans also has a shopping list calculator on their site so I know exactly how much the groceries are going to cost before I get into the store. That helps a lot! Good luck.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't buy processed / packaged snacks. I bake, and with all those kids you could have them help you and teach them how to cook / bake the healthy way.

Ingredients are pretty cheap. Bisquick is flour and baking power. I can buy both much cheaper than a box of Bisquick. Get a few recipes and buy the ingredients. This way you'll know what's in the food and can keep things healthy!

Also, popcorn mixes with chex or different cereals are a nice munchie to have around. And not microwave popcorn, get the bag and cook it the old fashioned way.

Pies are a good way to get fruit into the diets. Pear pies, apple, blueberry, and you can keep the sugar you add to a minimum and do a one crust to keep the calories down. You could also use a muffin in and make little cups with the pastry with the fruit in the center.

Cheap and yum!

I also make homemade soup or lite chilli for my family to nosh on all week, big batches of chicken wings, etc. to keep in the fridge.

Shop early in the morning for the best pick of vegetables and meat deals too. Ask the meat guy what the deal of the day is.

The art of cooking and baking is being lost due to the prepared crap that's out there. Be creative, and teach your children how to do this, and they'll know how to eat healthy for a lifetime.
  • Rscrappy
    Options
    If your coming to Binghamton do not go to Weis Markets they are super expensive on most of their stuff. I get a lot of my produce at Alidi's. It's good and cheap.too. I have to go there today for produce for the weekend. Company coming and we usually end up eating a lot of veggies with a lo cal ranch dip.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and I found a good deal at Kroger this week, split roasting chickens already seasoned, around 5lbs for $4 or $5. I bought two packages and roasted the chickens. My BF tore up the meat and we keep it in the fridge or freezer.

I love to roast my own chickens, it only takes around 2 hours (depending on size, more or less) and makes tons of meat. Lots cheaper than the dinky rotisserie chickens they try to sell. :D

Beans are super cheap and yummy.

Frozen veggies. Go to Sam's/Costco/whatever warehouse store if you have one and get a big thing of frozen veggies.

I really wish I had a deep freezer :( I'd stock up even more.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AmyM713
    Options
    We do have an aldis and I do shop there, I will have to look at the produce closer and start buying from there.

I didn't know there was a calculator for wegmans thats awesome and exactly what I need since I like to be prepared.

Making up my meal list for march right now and will then go from there making the grocery list. You have all given me such great advice and ideas!! Thank you!
  • coloschick
    Options
    How do you make your chili "lite"?
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'll be reading this later!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hear all the time people say you can buy healthy food for cheap...I think the kicker is you cant buy it AS cheap as crappy processed food. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone can beat 30 cent Mac & Cheese, or 10 cent Ramen Noodles....

I had to cut down my budget because somehow we were spending way to much on food. We usually eat cereal or eggs for breakfast, and not much else.

Lunch is almost always some kind of sandwich...and I don't buy the expensive meats. I'm talking baloney sandwiches, PB & J, and Tuna. I might eat a salad since I'm home and can make one. Then fruit for the side, apples mostly because they seem to be cheapest and last longer (so I'm not throwing away money). I've also caved to buying some ramen noodles (the noodles in a cup kind)...I don't eat them, but sometimes my husband and daughter take them for lunch...and you can't beat a 30 cent lunch....

Dinners are where most of the money gets spent, and also when I try to add in more of the veggies (since I know my kid would just throw away raw carrots etc if I put them in her school lunch, yours might not, so that's another suggestion). Usually I make some kind of meat and a veggie. But I've also done breakfast for dinner (pretty cheap, eggs, waffles or pancakes). We still do spaghetti, only now I weigh out a serving size and make my own sauce. I also puree some veggies into the sauce (or sometimes just mix it in, like spinach etc). I also buy frozen veggies mostly so I don't have to worry about them going bad.

I am by far not the greatest when it comes to saving money, but those are some ways I've learned to cut down on our grocery bill. I know its bad that I still have a few horrible processed foods in there, like the ramen noodles, baloney or bisquick...but I can feed our whole family for a lot cheaper when I add some of those back in. And its not everyday, so for the most part we are still eating a lot healthier than most people.

ooo and beans. I started making my own refried beans in the crock pot. That makes 6 lbs of refried beans for $1.oo! Good for tostadas, bean burritos, bean tacos, taco salad etc.
  • traceymccune
    Options
    I haven't checked it out yet, but skinnytaste.com has an under $10 section. Everything I have made from that site has tasted wonderful, even to the kids. It also has lots of healthy casseroles that can feed a big family.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Definitely Aldi...the produce is great for much cheaper than Walmart. I am in Illinois so it may be a little cheaper here but this week there are a lot of really good deals on what I would call salad vegetables. Bagged salad is 80 cents, 3 pack of colored peppers for 1 dollar, 14 oz of broccoli crowns for 70 cents, 2 lb bag of red onions for 50 cents(really??? that is insane). Here is to hoping that the prices are similar for you. I can't stand buying produce anywhere else unless its something I can't find at Aldi.