Not losing anything first 4 weeks.. ???

Options
I've never been someone who enjoyed working out, until recently when I was motivated to get fit by the strength of my currently deployed fiance who is a US Marine, and my recent miscarriage. I was blessed however that I only craved healthy foods when I was pregnant, and stopped having a taste for overly sugary and overly greasy things--that stuck with me even after the loss.

So I've been taking it slow, considering my body has been a lot of stress the last few months, not to mention I'm really really out of shape and have been for a few years. I've been doing yoga, swimming, 2-3 mile walks, parking further away in parking lots, and taking the stairs whenever possible, etc. I've also been drinking a lot more water, making better food choices, and watching my portions.

I started at 152, the first week I lost about 2lbs, and for the last 3 weeks I've maintained 149/150. I did lose inches around my bust (-3"), waist(-1.5"), and hips(-1.5")--which I know is more important that losing weight, but I can't help but wonder--when will the lbs start coming off again?

Can anyone relate or offer advice?

I noticed my chest getting smaller today and that's when I remeasured and saw the 3" loss.. but shrinking boobs and not seeing weight loss isn't exactly the foot I wanted to start off on. :grumble: I didn't expect to keep the same bust size, but losing that first makes me feel a bit heavier because I'm less.. er.. top heavy and more bottom heavy. If that makes sense. :laugh:

Replies

• snoozen29
    snoozen29 Posts: 33
    Options
    Just keep in mind that while you are walking and swimming you are also building muscle which does way more than fat.

Getting heathly is not always about losing weight. It sounds like you have made a change for the better and there are some results. Stick in there, if you keep it up the pounds will shed too!
  • hopez2
    hopez2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I experienced the same thing after my D&C. I've always been able to lose weight when I wanted to by just working out again and watching what I ate. I started doing that and the weight was so stubborn it was frustrating. Nothing was coming off. I read somewhere that sometimes your body needs time to realize it's not prego and stop storing fat. It's been about 5 weeks for me now and I'm happy to say that I just started a new diet this week and the weight is coming off a lot more quickly. So, mabye you just need to give it some time.

Regards,
    Hope
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    First let me say, I am so sorry for your loss. i am sure the loss was a hearbreak for you and your fiancee. And I hope he come home to you soon.

As for your new focus, good for you! You seem to be getting into the right exercise mindset, so that is a sure bet to help you reach your goals! Let me make a recomendation. Keep logging your food for a week here on MPF. Then print out the days and really look at them. See if they are in the right porportions with protein, carbs and fats. Then start planning your meals each day towards those percentage goals. For example, I like 45% protein, 30% carb and 25% fats. I try to make most of the carbs come from veggies and whole grains (not processed foods) and my fats from good oils like fish, nuts and seeds.

My husband is also deployed for a year, so I find alot of time to myself. Call me crazy, but I walk/jog my dog for 2 miles, 4 times a week in the wee hours in the morning, then I hit the gym, 6 days a week. At the gym, I do 45 mins of cardio, then weightlift for another 30 minutes, always focusing on a muscle group. The right eating and the extra exercise has been my only way to lose. Take it from someone who lost 100lbs before joining mpf, it is a puzzle..... losing weight is all about finding how YOUR body works. Some people need more carbs, some more protein, and some bodies need more weights than cardio. You will just have to find your balance! And you will!

Best of luck!

Ileana
  • imthemama
    imthemama Posts: 4
    Options
    I wish i could offer something but I myself am struggling! I was down 5 pounds and it has just kept creeping back up and now I am only 3 pounds down and I have been working out like a freak, watching every morsel of anything I put in my body, drink tons of water and should be losing like crazy but...NOPE! :mad: So if you find any good advice or words of encouragement...please pass them along! :frown:
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i started around a month ago, and lost a few lbs to put me at 150/151 lbs then I started working out and I've started losing inches but the scale hasn't budged! I've lost a total of 19 inches off my bust, waist, belly, hips, thighs and arms, so I still consider myself successful LOL the scale has got to catch up sometime right? lol