Purchase or membership?

Options
I am in the market for a gym! I have never joined a gym before...the past few years I was lucky enough to work at a medical facility that offered a facility for employees, before that I lived in an apt. complex with facilities, and before that I went to a college that let students use a fitness center for free. So...I'm in the market and not really sure what I am looking for. But I am hoping that if I put down some financial investment I will be more inclined to use the facilities. I spoke with my doctor, who thinks I should join the YMCA because they have a pool and it would be good for my back, but I have no inclination to put on a swimsuit in front of anyone. So I'm thinking about checking out some places that have "women only" rooms, tanning facilities, ect. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

The other thing I was considering is saying "forget the gym" and purchasing an elliptical for home use. I think I would be a lot more inclined to use it as I would be ok with just getting up in the morning and doing 20 minutes in my pajamas with bed head, whereas it takes me time to just get to the gym because I'm so self concious about how I look. And while I wouldn't get the range of equipment and availability to things like strength training I feel like having something at home might be a step in the right direction for me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Also....does anyone have suggestions about ellipticals or where to find one at a good price?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If all you're going to use at the gym is an elliptical, then buy one. If you plan on using weights (which you should), then get a gym membership.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I had an elliptical at home. I was entirely too bored when I used it, so I sold it and then joined a gym.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think the benefit of joining a gym is that since you're paying for a service every month, you're more likely to use it. Plus, there is a lot more variety than having one piece of equipment at home. I love going to the gym. Not just for the exercise, but it's like my little escape time from my house/job. There are a million different gyms out there. Try out several. Most gyms will offer a 7 day free pass so you can check it out and see if it suits you. I'm kind of in love with my gym (I go to Lifetime Fitness) but it's expensive and it has a whooole lot of amenities, so if you don't need all that stuff (I mean, I guess technically I don't NEED a steam room and a million classes) then there's no reason to spend the extra money. Find what works for you...and good for you for deciding to find a gym!
  • prousis
    Options
    I say join the gym. I go to my local YMCA and love it. The added benefit of having a variety of classes to take really helps to keep me motivated. Once you start going on a regular basis, the other regular class takers also help hold you accountable because they will ask where you were when you miss a class. The key to losing weight and getting fit is a varied workout routine, by only buying a machine this would be difficult. Good Luck with your decision!!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd like to work out at home too and gyms were SOOO EXPENSIVE! But let me tell you, I purchased a wii fit with balance board and a treadmill. Both now gather dust. I use them occasionally, but not enough to justify the purchase.

I joined my local gym a little over a month ago. It has all the amenities, pool, weights, tons of machines, cardio classes... Before I joined, I was hardcore on my wii and treadmill for about.... 3 days. Then I'd quit. Now, I go to Zumba and Turbokick classes each week and I lift weights 2 nights per week, and I usually do a bike or treadmill at the gym 1-2 nights per week. So for nearly 2 months now, I've been going 4-5 nights per week, and I don't intend to stop.

So, for me, I needed the kick in the pants of knowing that money was coming out of my checking account each month whether I went or not to get motivated. I've lost 10 pounds in just a few short weeks. So it was totally worth the expense. For me. Good luck with your decision.

edited for typos
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    canderson188- Thank you for your response! I have also been considering the wii, but it's good to know how your experience was. Thanks again.
  • bluesmokeybars
    Options
    I love to be able to work out at home in any clothing that I want at any time that I want. A few weeks ago I couldn't sleep so I got up and jumped on my treadmill in my jammie t-shirt. No one could see what a hot mess I was and I got in some extra exercise! If my machine or my videos break, I will rush out and buy new the very same day....oh, and I work part time at a fitness center but never use my free membership! LOL!
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A (1) year membership for my wife and I was cheaper, than a low end piece of equipment.

I'm very pleased we joined the gym.