I've been stuck at 3 lbs down for almost a month...what to d

Options
Hi everyone,
I started back up on MFP in mid December. I made slow changes from introducing healthier foods into the home, not eating takeout every day (or choosing healthier options when I do), to regular exercise, etc. From then to mid Jan I was losing. Sure, it was .2 here .4 there, but then when I got 3 Lbs down on Feb 1 it stopped. Now, my fridge is stocked with almond milk, spinach, mushrooms, fruit, WATER, almonds, plain yogurt (all of which I eat), I am running, I am taking breaks from my desk job to walk 20-30 minutes during lunch. But 125.8 has been my weight for the past 3 weeks...EVERY FRIGGIN DAY! What can I do? I'm getting discouraged. And yes, I know 125.8 is healthy, but I am what I like to call Skinny Fat, not toned at all, no definition...soft. Can I get some suggestions?
Thanks.

Replies

• Rosemarose
    Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    P.S.- I messed with my weigh ins not too long ago and accidentally erased my starting entry. I started at 128.4. --I know my profile says only 1 LB down.
  • 5kfunrun
    5kfunrun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you added lifting weights to your work out?

Also, I took a look at your food journal and it looks like your protein has been under what you should be eating. If you are doing a lot of running, make sure your carbs and protein is where it should be or you will gas out.

Good luck!
  • Rosemarose
    Options
    Actually, now that I think of it. When I started working out I was doing a routine that included weights. Then somehow I got the idea to just do cardio to get rid of the fat. My reasoning was, "What's the point of lifting if all the muscle is hidden behind fat...you won't be able to tell" Am I wrong...should I go back to lifting? Half cardio, half strength?
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Well, not knowing you and just peeking at your profile stuff.........a couple of things stick out

1) you might be undereating. I KNOW it sounds INCREDIBLY counter intuitive, but try raising your calories by 1-2 hundred a day and see what happens.
    2) you might want to try spreading out your meals more. 6 small meals at about 200 cals each rather than big loads of food.
    3) CUT YOUR SUGAR! ;)
    4) RAISE YOUR PROTEIN!

And my other suggestion would be to maybe take a week off the scale and do some weight conditioning. If you're biggest problem with yourself is your muscle definition, then just spend some time focusing on that. Honestly, if you really busted @ss on working on your muscles, you may see the results you want in the mirror and your clothes, regardless of what the scale says. And at 125, if you had the muscle definition you wanted, you'd be at a pretty good weight too.

:)

Good luck!
  • IveLanded
    Options
    Actually, now that I think of it. When I started working out I was doing a routine that included weights. Then somehow I got the idea to just do cardio to get rid of the fat. My reasoning was, "What's the point of lifting if all the muscle is hidden behind fat...you won't be able to tell" Am I wrong...should I go back to lifting? Half cardio, half strength?

I was doing all cardio, and saw no results. I now do half cardio/half strength and I lose at least 2lbs a week. AND when I had an "off" week of not losing, my muscle definition STILL radically improved that week and I STILL was able to fit into different clothes. Try to think of it the other way ... "what good is shedding the fat if whats under it doesn't look good?"

:D
  • Rosemarose
    Options
    Well, not knowing you and just peeking at your profile stuff.........a couple of things stick out

1) you might be undereating. I KNOW it sounds INCREDIBLY counter intuitive, but try raising your calories by 1-2 hundred a day and see what happens.
    2) you might want to try spreading out your meals more. 6 small meals at about 200 cals each rather than big loads of food.
    3) CUT YOUR SUGAR! ;)
    4) RAISE YOUR PROTEIN!

And my other suggestion would be to maybe take a week off the scale and do some weight conditioning. If you're biggest problem with yourself is your muscle definition, then just spend some time focusing on that. Honestly, if you really busted @ss on working on your muscles, you may see the results you want in the mirror and your clothes, regardless of what the scale says. And at 125, if you had the muscle definition you wanted, you'd be at a pretty good weight too.

Good luck!

Ok...I'm going to try half cardio half strength. By the way, how can I see my sugar consumtion? Is there a way to change the display to include your sugar intake? I had no idea I was consuming more than I needed to.
  • Rosemarose
    Options
    Boo...I hate when my posts get lost.
  • IveLanded
    Options
    Well, sugars metabolize as carbs so I assume they are in that measurement. But, personally, looking at your diet, you eat WAY more refined sugar than I do. I am on a menu plan my trainer made up for me and I have no added sugar in anything. I don't put sugar in my coffee or tea, I don't drink regular soda, I don't eat syrup, etc etc etc. For me, a key has been basically cutting every carb/sugar I can control.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you cut out so much (not all) cardio and focus on weight lifting. If you go to a gym they will gladly write out a plan for you but you need to lift HEAVY not 3lb weights. Also yes up the protein and calories but it is NOT necessary to eat 6x per day to get the results you want. You could easily add half a peanut butter sandwich to two meals and get in another 400 calories. Maybe try doing 85% lifting 15% cardio. Good luck to you!
  • IveLanded
    Options
    And I don't mean that in a judgey way! :)

I just was looking at your menu from the perspective that my trainer would look at it.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options

3) CUT YOUR SUGAR! ;)
    4) RAISE YOUR PROTEIN!

Good luck!

Ok...I'm going to try half cardio half strength. By the way, how can I see my sugar consumtion? Is there a way to change the display to include your sugar intake? I had no idea I was consuming more than I needed to.
    Go to FOOD-SETTINGS then you will see where you can add in to track your sugar.
  • 5kfunrun
    5kfunrun Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Your body needs protein to burn when you run, lift weight, or do anything physical. Muscle is easier for your body to break down than fat, so because your body is not building muscle, your body is probably breaking down muscle rather than fat.

Also, it's impossible to build abs and burn the muscle around your stomach by simply doing crunches. If you like to run your best bet is interval training. (Jog a speed you are comfortable for a while, and then sprint for a period of time, then back off to a jog again, rinse and repeat.) If you want more info on running, go to runnersworld.com

Good luck!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i am in the same position! I am going to try raising my calorie intake to the maintain status for a few days and then backing it down to what my original intake was. I am hoping this works as a jumpstart. i might add some weights too. Add me if you want.