Does Drinking Water Help Weight Loss?

Options
What do you think? Any facts or statistics?

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. Drinking sugar filled Coke's & sports drinks sure doesn't help.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I am too lazy right now to find the article, but it was about water and weight loss. Essentially when you enter a dehydrated state, your metabolism slows down to preserve what water you have left. All your organs need a balance of water to adequately function. A slower metabolism = slower weight loss. So you need approx 8 glasses a day to maintain a proper hydrated state. Some need more, some need less. it's up to you to find that magic number.
  • prousis
    Options
    It helps to keep you fuller and flushes out the bad stuff for no calories.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I really think it does. Maybe it doesn't. But on the weeks where I was sure to get my water in I lost more weight. And I am not the kind of person who eats more or less depending on my water intake.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I feel like it does...it helps me to feel full, and helps to flush out extra sodium that makes me feel bloated. Whether it actually helps with weight loss I'm not sure, but I know that I just feel better when I drink 8-12 oz of water a day. When I say water, I mean actual water, I do drink coffee/tea etc, but I make sure I drink 72-96 oz of pure water a day on top of that, and more if I work out really hard.
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i drink a pint of water before dinner while i'm cooking it - then i can't fit as much dinner in when it becomes time to eat. this is how it works for me!
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am too lazy right now to find the article, but it was about water and weight loss. Essentially when you enter a dehydrated state, your metabolism slows down to preserve what water you have left. All your organs need a balance of water to adequately function. A slower metabolism = slower weight loss. So you need approx 8 glasses a day to maintain a proper hydrated state. Some need more, some need less. it's up to you to find that magic number.

I would be very interested in this article if you ever feel less lazy... I'm a huge advocate of drinking water because I know it regulates so many things in your body... I love to read articles that back up what I believe. My husband always jokes that if he were having a heart attack, I'd offer him a glass of water to make it better. :tongue:
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it does. When your body is dehydrated, you can think you're hungry - when really you just need water! I drink well over 8 cups a day (usually 12-14), because I work out and usually knock out 24-32 oz. there. I drink it all day, with every meal and I love it. It even helps with my skin! I still have a soda, or juice every now and then but definitely drinking more water.
  • sv1983
    sv1983 Posts: 23
    Options
    i have lost 13 pounds just by giving up soda and drinking more water!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific answer but I can lose up to 1.5lb more in a week where I have consumed plenty of water :)
  • HeatherScottTN
    HeatherScottTN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We often mistake THIRST for Hunger and reach for snacks or food instead of what our body is needing...WATER.

Yes, fresh water is needed to facilitate weight loss and optimal health.

DRINK UP! Throughout the day...all day long...sipping... Good Luck!
  • macylane4
    Options
    Yes water helps you keep full, flushes the toxins, but my doctor also said it helps oxygen get to your muscles, and the more muscle you have the more fat you burn. If you drink a gallon of water a day...you will see a drastic change in weightloss within 6 months! I don't drink any other drinks!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi,, the 8 glasses of water recommended to drink daily is 8, 8 ounce cups, not giant, tall glasses. It's less than you think and can be included in the food you eat also according to my Neurologist. :)
    I don't normally like to drink water because I'm rarely thirsty unless I'm working out, so I've decided to drink it like medicine and it seems like it has helped! Especially so if I've gone over my sodium for the day.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I heard dehydration is a mjaor contributor to Fatigue and bad breath! The body is made up of 70% water!
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Interesting! This will push me to drink more now, thanks!
  • DaveMXF
    Options
    I like to drink around 120 oz everyday. I feel a difference when I don't. I don't necessarily see a difference...
    This article might add some to the discussion.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/118755-daily-water-intake-weight-loss/
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I would be very interested in this article if you ever feel less lazy... I'm a huge advocate of drinking water because I know it regulates so many things in your body..

^^ Google. Just sayin'.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Drink up me heartee's yo ho!:drinker: