Stupid question - am I doing Spin Class wrong?

Options
During the 'climbs' when everyone stands - I notice that everybody is bouncing up and down with the pedals.
I can't seem to do it - my body is rock steady, and I stand up with only my legs moving. (Just like when I'm riding my road bike)

If I try to let the pedals throw me around, it feels like I'm going to get thrown off the machine.

Am I missing out on something?

Replies

• cassiechavez
    Options
    Hey. No if your bouncing around that means you dont have enough resistance. Your doing it right! :)
  • kslocum17
    kslocum17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are isolating your leg muscles while they are using their whole body + gravity. I think your way is harder and probably more effective.
  • EyesMocha
    Options
    No, you're not missing out on a thing..... the problem with everyone else is that our legs are not as strong as your also burnt out is setting in the muscle so, we push ourselves to complete the task. ;)
    Congrads to you for having Thor thighs and calves
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Anyone else feel like they are going to throw up when they work their legs? LOL... Every time i get on a bike - I can fell my quads tighten up when they are being worked and I really feel like I am a minute away from throwing up. I know it just means i need to work them more - but sheesh!
  • jodyburton
    Options
    From a cycling perspective, I would guess you have better form than the others. They are letting their weight push the pedals down, not powering through with the legs. Watch pro cyclists and you're likely to see something that more resembles what you are doing.

That said, I've never done a spin class and maybe that is the point.

The most important thing is that you are changing your position and re-establishing blood flow to *ahem* sensitive parts, as well as challenging your muscles to adapt to varying usage.
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right and using your quads and hamstrings to control your pedal stroke rather than your body weight. I see that in a lot of cycle classes. Too low of a resistance on the standing hills and relying more on your body weight to push the pedals rather than the hammies and quads pushing and pulling.
  • thunderbolt37
    Options
    I use to be a Spin Instructor. You're doing it right. When your resistance is low; you bounce around in the seat when sitting and when standing and your bouncing around; your using the whole body to turn over the pedals.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Okay, good, I'll keep on doing it. The instructors bounce up and down too, so I was really questioning my technique.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like you're doing it right. Your body should never be just bouncing around all willy-nilly on the bike. Control is a good thing.

Now I have a fun story. There is a new(ish) woman in my spin class. You can tell that most of us ride bikes and are training for the upcoming season (proper shorts, bike shoes, good form, etc) So this woman comes in who is very lean, dressed in full road garb, and really looks like she might know what she's doing. Then she gets on the bike and bounces around like a total goon all through class. She never turns up her tension so that she can appear to be going sooo much faster than the rest of us and it is just sooo easy for her. Well finally she got called out by the instructor the other day and he told her she needed to crank up the tension. Resistance is obviously new to her because she proceeds to almost rip off the handle bars, she has to grip them so tightly and yank them about just to get the leverage to pedal. I hate to admit it but I felt so self satisfied at watching her struggle. I am pretty sure she assumes her form is best and she kicks *kitten*. I give her credit that she is nice and lean but she obviously does not strength train one bit and I would just love to see her ride a real bike and see how she does it. I hate judging people, especially at the gym, but she drives me batsh!t crazy.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do spinning twice a week and as far as I can tell its either because you have low resistance hence you barely use your upper body strength for moving those pedals or you have real strong thigh and calve muscles (great!)

A trainer in my gym told me once that during spinning you should try to tuck in your tummy and use that energy from the tummy to sprint. You should definitely use your full body for max calorie burn. So I always try to do it on the highest resistance that I can bear and then try to move those leg muscles with the help of upper body hence I always bounce :embarassed: and moreover my thigh muscles are the weakest point I think. I am a curvaceous woman (to put it in some sober words) Max fat stored around that area :frown: :embarassed:
  • wellbert
    Options
    Sillygoose, That's kind of hilarious, I have to admit.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Anyone else feel like they are going to throw up when they work their legs? LOL... Every time i get on a bike - I can fell my quads tighten up when they are being worked and I really feel like I am a minute away from throwing up. I know it just means i need to work them more - but sheesh!

Maybe you're pedaling wrong. If you are pushing the pedals down all the time I could see that. You have to sort of make a circle with your feet, using your hamstrings to lighten the load on the side coming up. It's a ton easier when you're clipped in.

Or you could potentially have your seat at an off height or setback. With one pedal forward, one back, your knee should be plumb center between pedal and axle on the crank. Rule of thumb.

As far as height, your knee should be slightly bent when you're at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Lots of bend is really bad, no bend will eat up your knees.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I might be all washed up, but I'm gonna take a different approach than most of the other replies. But first, when you say they are bouncing around I'm assuming they DO have decent tension on (you did describe it as a standing hill climb afterall) and they are moving side to side to use body weight to push harder up the hill. If that IS what they are doing then I'd say THEY are doing it right. Sometimes in class we'll do a song worth of 'hover's' (quad burners) where its like you are balancing a book on your head, slightly squated down (yet still standing). That sounds more like you. That is NOT the way to climb a hill on a bike. Watch any bike race and you'll see that bikers do indeed use body weight to help them climb. To do that you have to lean side to side at the top of each pedal stroke. Make sense?
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Maybe you're pedaling wrong. If you are pushing the pedals down all the time I could see that. You have to sort of make a circle with your feet, using your hamstrings to lighten the load on the side coming up. It's a ton easier when you're clipped in.

Or you could potentially have your seat at an off height or setback. With one pedal forward, one back, your knee should be plumb center between pedal and axle on the crank. Rule of thumb.

As far as height, your knee should be slightly bent when you're at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Lots of bend is really bad, no bend will eat up your knees.

I am 6'4... i think that may have something to do with it... hell I hit my knees on the elliptical sometimes. Seems like everything has to be modified for me to do it. haha.
  • wellbert
    Options
    I hear you. I'm 6'7. I feel pretty lucky that the spin bikes seats go up high enough.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i was told during my spin class that if you are bouncing up and down like a carousel that you are doing it wrong, but if your butt is bouncing from side to side with a flat back you are doing it right. :)
  • wellbert
    Options
    I might be all washed up, but I'm gonna take a different approach than most of the other replies. But first, when you say they are bouncing around I'm assuming they DO have decent tension on (you did describe it as a standing hill climb afterall) and they are moving side to side to use body weight to push harder up the hill. If that IS what they are doing then I'd say THEY are doing it right. Sometimes in class we'll do a song worth of 'hover's' (quad burners) where its like you are balancing a book on your head, slightly squated down (yet still standing). That sounds more like you. That is NOT the way to climb a hill on a bike. Watch any bike race and you'll see that bikers do indeed use body weight to help them climb. To do that you have to lean side to side at the top of each pedal stroke. Make sense?

Some are straight up and down, I think the instructor lists side to side a little, yeah.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    And a tip to pass along, if anyone cares. This comes from a physical therapist who is also a Cat-2 bike racer and just did a 100+ mile mtn bike race in snowy Minnesota. When standing (hills/etc) learn to tilt your pelvis back/out a little. It naturally wants to 'fall forward' and you'll put a lot of extra stress on your body. It's a rather subtle tilt, kind of like sticking your butt out slightly. Practice a little and you'll notice it really does improve your mechanics, power, and reduce back fatigue. You want a straight line from butt to head - not rounded/hunched. She says that she preaches it to her teammates and those who dont follow her all come in for injury treatment at some point. Lastly, really stretch hip flexors - often neglected but very important.

So there it is - free advise from a semi-pro