Starvation Mode... HELP!

Options
So, I fear that my body has gone into starvation mode... I drastically changed my diet 2 months ago and now I just naturally eat better, but I also eat less. I have a hectic schedule and I skip meals all the time and eat at weird times, so the chances of me meeting my calorie goals are slim. Especially since I cut out all poultry and red meat. I feel like, when I do eat my goal, I've eaten poorly. And now, I think my metabolism is going into starvation mode cause the scale is not moving! How can I get out of this without undoing all my progress and stop the scale from moving up before it is too late! Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Jules_Rules
    Jules_Rules Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OMGosh I am exactly where you are at! I've been doing real well, constantly losing the weight slowly over the months. But I now find myself eating a lot less, skipping meals and I guess mentally feeling like this is the way to do it? I have NOT lost weight in a few weeks now and feel my metabolism is slowing. I feel like I've worked so hard to lose the first 20lbs that now I am really cautious of what I put in my mouth. Would love to know how to get out of this starvation mode. Will read the link that was posted, hopefully there are some words of wisdom there.

I just wanted to say, I hear you!! Please let me know if anything is working for you and I'll do likewise...you're not alone!!
    Cheers
    Julia
  • gngrninja
    Options

It does not, however, state just how much you could lose if you kept your metabolism up by eating throughout the day. I would say make sure you hit your caloric goal for the week and be less worried about individual days. Do eat small meals throughout the day if that works, and try not to skip.
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options

It does not, however, state just how much you could lose if you kept your metabolism up by eating throughout the day. I would say make sure you hit your caloric goal for the week and be less worried about individual days. Do eat small meals throughout the day if that works, and try not to skip.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    So, I fear that my body has gone into starvation mode... I drastically changed my diet 2 months ago and now I just naturally eat better, but I also eat less. I have a hectic schedule and I skip meals all the time and eat at weird times, so the chances of me meeting my calorie goals are slim. Especially since I cut out all poultry and red meat. I feel like, when I do eat my goal, I've eaten poorly. And now, I think my metabolism is going into starvation mode cause the scale is not moving! How can I get out of this without undoing all my progress and stop the scale from moving up before it is too late! Any tips are greatly appreciated.

This tells me that there's a good chance (without seeing your diary) that you aren't very accurate and consistent with logging food. And your ticker says that you have lost 0 pounds. If you are under eating/ in starvation mode, you would've lost at least some weight. Am I making any sense?
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You might try getting yourself on a better eating schedule? I eat 6 smaller meals a day. Break/snack/lunch/snack/dinner/snack. I have always lost weight VERY consistently doing it this way. It tells your body you're always full...you don't crave and over eat, and I usually end up making better choices about what I eat when I'm not raging hungry
  • solox
    solox Posts: 1
    Options

Another myth - number of meals is not what keeps your metabolism high: http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html

If six meals makes you feel better, then go for it. But it has no physiological impact.
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options

Another myth - number of meals is not what keeps your metabolism high: http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html

If six meals makes you feel better, then go for it. But it has no physiological impact.

Well hello there.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Make some healthy yummy snacks that are high cal - flapjacks are my weakness - stuffed full of nuts, oats, dried fruit and a bit of honey. Yum yum! Also way too stuffed full of cals for me sadly.....

Or home made shakes can top up cals quickly & healthily - whizz up some fruit, youghurt - throw in an egg if you're not to scared of the idea (tastes good, honest) - use full ft yohurt or milk, and again, a bit of honey of you want to up the cals