Nutrisystem?

Options
The More I hear about it, the more I am intrigued by this program. I weighed in at 161 the other day and my goal weight is 155-150. My concern is once I hit this weight, how can I maintain it. I haven't really done alot of research into this one yet but I have heard mostly postive things.. Can something like this help maintain the weight I want with the foods they provide or is more for weight loss? Also, how expensive are the meals? (I'd probably just nee to order breakfast and lunch-- my fiance handles dinner :) )

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion. Are you willing to order these meals for the rest of your life? I do know they are on the pricey side and from what I've heard not all that tasty. I would get some recipes together that fit into your calorie goal and learn to make your own meals. My problem with doing a program like this is you don't learn to handle these situations on your own.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    I completely agree with alypri. Nutrisystem is a short term food solution and not long term. Learn to make your own meals and you can live this lifestyle forever. You should become best friends with your freezer :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Expensive and worthless. Make your own food :D
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was in Big Lots the other day and I saw that they are now selling some of Nutrisystem's food on their shelves. From what I saw it looked gross. Like Chef Boyardee cups for adults, and gross pouches of nasty. If you have a Big Lot store near you, stop in and see if they're selling it before you commit.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If I were to use it, it would just be to learn how the food system works. I saw an add today that it was focused on low glycemic foods which I read about before, but I really don't understand exactly how it works. I would get the food just to understand how to eat that way and then just eat that way and stop buying the food. But that is just me.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I were to use it, it would just be to learn how the food system works. I saw an add today that it was focused on low glycemic foods which I read about before, but I really don't understand exactly how it works. I would get the food just to understand how to eat that way and then just eat that way and stop buying the food. But that is just me.

The glycemic index is only useful for diabetics.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem for a couple months - until I realized that their REAL program was something i could do on my own for wayyyyyy less money.

All you do is: Watch your serving sizes & make sensible food choices. Split your meals up into 6-7 meals every couple hours to keep your metabolism running.
  • katelyn3300
    Options
    I tried it...the food was not completely disgusting, but every time I ate it, all I could think was that I could make it myself for a lot less money, and it would taste better! I got sick of the food after the first month and cancelled. I do not recommend the program at all!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem a while back....NASTY food that is pretty high in sodium. It is REALLY expensive. You should make your own meals, learn to cook for yourself, prepare stuff ahead of time so its quick and easy....
  • sonjalyons
    sonjalyons Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have been eating the nutrisystem foods since january which i purchased from big lot. so far the ones i have purchased i have pretty much liked them. i only had plan to eat these to get the weight lost started & then just eat regular food but continue to stay with my calorie range.
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    HAD A CO WORKER THAT WAS ON THAT PLAN AND THE FOOD DIDN'T LOOK APPETIZING.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I did not know that. I bought a cookbook for a low glycemic diet. The recipes looked good but I was mad because they said I had to eat my bananas green. So I just packed the book away.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I looked into all of those programs but found out they cost 300 dollars a MONTH! I'm sorry but this average Joe cannot afford that. Then I started looking at the Lean Cuisine meals and then my thought process went: "ok, basically these programs are pre-package meals that is portion controlled. If I workout, eat the meals and try to hit my calorie count then isn't it the same thing?"

So, I've started doing that. I eat the Lean Cuisine meals which I love. IMO they are really good. They have come a long ways from several years ago when I tried it. I workout 3-4 x's a week and stay within my 1400 calories. I even eat chocolate and the good stuff too! I know there maybe push back from eating the meals but so far for me it's worked. I've lost 24 lbs so far.
    I'm not a cook, I'm more of a "heater uper". So, fixing my meals really doesn't appeal to me as it's not my forte.

Don't waste your money. There are easier and cheaper ways to "do the program". :) Good luck!
  • Curleyque
    Options
    To SWhitney2:
    Actually, although the glycemic index is for diabetics watching their sugar and carb intake, a low glycemic diet can be very healthy. It lowers your sugar, and lets face it, sugar is an inflammatory and as sad as it is - is not a healthy component of our American diet. Unpack that cookbook and take a good look at the foods that you'd be eating if you used it.. Chances are that if you followed the recipes, you would lose weight. A low glycemic diet can be beneficial when you're trying to get rid of extra pounds, and is just plain healthier.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The More I hear about it, the more I am intrigued by this program. I weighed in at 161 the other day and my goal weight is 155-150. My concern is once I hit this weight, how can I maintain it. I haven't really done alot of research into this one yet but I have heard mostly postive things.. Can something like this help maintain the weight I want with the foods they provide or is more for weight loss? Also, how expensive are the meals? (I'd probably just nee to order breakfast and lunch-- my fiance handles dinner :) )

Thanks for any input.

How can you maintain it? By doing just what you've been doing here on MFP. By using what you have learned here. You daily calorie goal will be = to your BMR. Think of maitentance as "dieting" with snacks. You will have "some" extra breathing room when you go on maintenance, but it's not going to be a free for all. Continue to eat mostly what you already do, sub in a few extras here & there.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I did not know that. I bought a cookbook for a low glycemic diet. The recipes looked good but I was mad because they said I had to eat my bananas green. So I just packed the book away.

It's just more weight loss hocus-pocus. 'ol calories in/calories out isn't sexy enough to write a book about, but it's the only thing that works.
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    Lots of good stuff everyone! I knew it would be pricey which is why I wanted
    To ask on here about it first. For work lunches I'm usually taking a healthy choice
    Asian inspired general tso chicken. Really tasty and only around 250 calories
    For lunch. I've started taking in healthier snacks to work- 12 hours go by better
    On a full stomach from veggies, to beef jerky, and I'm trying a few protein bars as well.
    I've had cliff bars, but not sure if I want to settle on those ones.. May try power bars next.
    I suppose this weight loss can be used as more of a lifestyle change..paying closer
    Attention to what I put into my body and taking bette care of it. I hope I lose these last ten pounds or
    So just as smoothly as what I have already.
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am doing Nutrisystem. I have been on the plan for the past 2 months and I have lost 20 pounds. It's easy to do and it works. I can send you a coupon for $30 off if you want one. Just send me a message with your email address. They have a sale going on right now and it's 40% off this month only. For me it's just easier than doing it on my own, everything is there I just grab my food and go. I am really happy with it and recommend it to anyone. It saves me money too because I was spending more just on eating out than I am now on Nutrisystem.
  • Osulindsay21
    Osulindsay21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem for two months and lost about 12 lbs. It was the first "diet" I ever stuck to in my life for more than a week. I did the select program and the food was pretty good actually, I thought. While I don't think you should expect to order Nutrisystem for the rest of your life, I think it's a good option for someone starting out. I can only tell you what it did for me. Since they require that you incorporate a lot of fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy and healthy fats, I started learning to love vegetables and fruit again. it showed me how much I WASN'T eating before. There are lots of ways to make the meals and I was never hungry. It taught me what a portion size is supposed to look like. It also gives you tips on healthy substitutions if you are not able or wanting to eat a meal (ie: how many servings of vegetables, which ones, how many carbs, which ones are okay, how many ounces of protein, etc.). Once I got off of nutrisystem, i fell off the wagon for a while. Not because I didn't learn anything from the program,but because I made excuses for ordering the pizza and eating half, going out to lunch, etc. It was about my lack of motivation.

I would recommend it to whoever was interested. My mom used it for a month and lost 15 lbs. She looked and felt great. Seeing the changes gave her the jumpstart she needed to keep going with a healthy lifestyle after she left the program. They have live chats with dieticians and message boards, healthy recipes, etc, just like like. It's not an unhealthy way to lose weight, so why would you discourage someone who is overweight from wanting to try something that might help them? Everyone learns differently and what works for one, doesn't work for others. I say go for it for a month or two if you think it will get you on the right track. You may like it, you may not. It may work, it might not. It worked for me and I still use the principles that I learned when planning my meals on here.

Just my two cents!
  • mshel19
    mshel19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i did nutrisystem 2 yrs ago for one month and i lost 10 pounds in a month it worked well for me i was getting compliments at work and people really noticed i lost weight and felt better .. someone like me who doesnt like to cook and isnt creative in the kitchen its a great plan for. the food is actually really good.. also if your busy and always on the go too you can just grab a meal and heat it up whenever , i would def recommend it right now its only $230 for a special. i was thinking about purchasing it again but i have to wait after st pattys day since i will be drinking and eating heavily that day haha.