Weight Lifting

Options
My name is Kristi and I've been using myfitnesspal for about 6 weeks. I've spent the first six weeks doing cardio to get me in the habit of going to the gym. I'd like to start adding weights to my cardio, but I'm not totally sure how to do that. Does anyone have any useful tips?

It's probably important that you know that I have about 80-85 pounds to lose.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Luthorcrow
    Options
    I would suggest you pick up "New Rules for Lifting for Women". It's great starting point and will help you avoid many of the blind allies and pitfalls that women are misdirected to when it comes to strength training.

Also to help with form on some of the most important lifts you can't do much better than the DVD Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe.

That is a solid foundation. Also, even if you decide that you want to go with a personal trainer, should arm yourself with some basic facts.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    There is a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. That is a really good place to start. Also, bodybuilding.com has some workout plans too that a lot of people seem to like. There are also groups on MFP you can join. Here are a couple:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • xstealth12x
    xstealth12x Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's also this book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". You should check it out.

;)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    And don't forget "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" :wink:
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    There's also this book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". You should check it out.

;)

What happened to "The Old Rules of Lifting for Women"?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

;)

What happened to "The Old Rules of Lifting for Women"?

Barbie weights fell out of fashion.