Help!

Options
Okay I have a situation I need help with. I have tried going to the gym for three weeks now,
here is what I do 30-60 on treadmill at a 12-14% incline at 3.0-3.2mph and around 20 min on the bike at a 10% incline.
Here's my problem. While I believe I am gaining some muscle in my legs my stomach is getting fatter. and not with muscle. Now I am a college student and besides all the skinny size 2 girls who run at the gym the only other people who are there are guys that intimidate the crap out of me. I am already self-conscious but I want to at least be semi skinny I am 5'1 at 129 lbs 20yrs old and a size 5 jeans. I would like to be healthy. I am struggling a daily battle with my food intake..
Can anyone offer advice or maybe easy exercise targeting that area.
Also I am to self conscious to run on the treadmill at the gym

Replies

• kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This site is sort of frustrating me..Everyone will answer the fun posts but its starting to get to where no one answers the posts of people who are actually asking questions about fitness and weightloss
  • SexyJaye
    SexyJaye Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey babe! My understanding, to get stomach area flatter, you can try doing leg raise, sit ups, crunches. Make sure you tighten your abs when you are doing those mentioned exercise. :)

I've started slow. Currently doing 20 leg raise every night. Hope this helps! :)

Stay happy!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you want less bulk, lower the resistance, and go for speed. You want to get your heart pumping. Also check your heart rate, and make sure it stays in the range that is ideal for fat burning. It varies by age, but I go for around 130.
  • beccainbudapest
    beccainbudapest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with the leg lifts, do as many as you can, but also try holding your legs just a couple inches off the ground for as long as you can. Also try doing planks. Start on your knees first if you need to then work to doing them on your toes. Try some of the other pilates moves for more core and stomach area stretches.

On the intimidation thing, remember, you are not in competition with them, you are only in competition with yourself. You are competing against the old you that didn't work out and every mile is one more than sitting on the couch. best of luck
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce. Meaning, you cannot target a certain part of your body and only that part will become thinner. You can do a ton of abdominal exercises, crunches, etc. You will build up abdominal muscles and have a six pack and a strong core. But no-one will be able to see those muscles under the fat. The fat will come off everywhere, gradually. Eventually it will come off your abdomen. You just have to be patient. This is why they say abs are built in the kitchen. In order to have a flat tummy, you have to lose it everywhere first.

At a size 5, it sounds as if you probably are already healthy. It's not healthy to compare yourself to those other girls.
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    Hi... I only get to log on late at night because I work 16 hrs a day, but I'm so glad I found your post. I know it is frustrating, but stick with it... you are doing better than you think. First, let me advise: don't honor the envy of "size 2" with your time and attention. This is not about the number on the tag or on the scale. I understand that intimidation feeling you mention, but when you go to the gym, leave your self doubt at the door. Those guys are there for themselves, and my experience has always been that folks dedicated to fitness have nothing but respect for those of us who are on that path. Many of them struggled with the same issues we do.

That being said, I am not nearly knowledgeable enough to recommend particular exercises, but I will tell you that back when I was in college, I was 120 lbs lighter than I am now, and very active, and still had the "bagel belly" to contend with. I walked a lot, danced, and practiced martial arts. I'm sure you will get some good advice on here.

Please add me. :)
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I checked out your diary and you look like you're really doing a good job eating healthy! I am thinking that if you're trying to target your belly, maybe try lowering the fat intake a bit and upping the protein (lean protein) intake. I'm not talking drastically or anything. This website: http://www.freedieting.com/ has a couple calculators that are helpful in figuring how many calories you actually need to lose weight and what kind of ratio is best. You can always manually update your goals on MFP to try new ratios. I started working harder on lowering my fat intake and that has seemed to help. I also now eat more calories daily and am losing faster than when I was at 1200.

As for exercise, maybe lower the incline and up the pace. I've read that running faster is more efficient at burning the fat off. Maybe also try a Pilates class. That's a good way to get stretching and strengthen that core.

Sounds like you're on a good path, keep it up and don't stress too much. Be happy in your skin! :flowerforyou:
  • jencurtlong
    Options
    Hi - Sounds like good advice below. I would also add some interval training into your treadmill routine. Lately I have been doing 2 minutes at 2.0 incline at 6.5 speed and then 30 seconds at 2.0 incline still and 4.5 speed to "recover". I alternate this at least 3 times before any weight training workout just to get myself warmed up. You may also want to move from the bike to an elliptical. On an elliptical you move your core more along with your arms. You can adjust intensity level and workout that you want. Looks like you are doing everything right just may need to tweek a few things. good luck and keep us posted!
  • jna1957
    Options
    try this works for me - i rotate between treadmill and elliptical

Treadmill - find a good speed to walk at that is pushing you - 3.5 - 4mph then just change the incline every minute as shown - forget changing the speed.

minute # speed (MPH) incline (%)
    0-5 (warm up) 4.0 1.0
    5-6 4.2 5.0
    6-7 4.4 6.0
    7-8 4.6 7.0
    8-9 4.8 8.0
    9-10 5.0 9.0
    10-11 4.4 5.0
    11-12 4.6 6.0
    12-13 4.8 7.0
    13-14 5.0 8.0
    14-15 5.2 9.0
    15-16 4.6 5.0
    16-17 4.8 6.0
    17-18 5.0 7.0
    18-19 5.2 8.0
    19-20 5.4 9.0
    20-21 4.6 5.0
    21-22 4.8 6.0
    22-23 5.0 7.0
    23-24 5.2 8.0
    24-25 5.4 9.0
    25-30 (cool down) 4.0 1.0

Elliptical
    Again forget about the speed below - just change the resistance every minute. Keep the same pace for 20 mins. I might suggest the first time you do this cut the resistance shown below by 50% until you get used to it then work yup to the below

minute # resistance level speed range (MPH)
    0-1 6 6.0-7.0
    1-2 6 6.0-7.0
    2-3 8 7.0-8.0
    3-4 10 7.0-8.0
    4-5 12 8.0-9.0
    5-6 14 8.0-9.0
    6-7 8 7.0-8.0
    7-8 10 7.0-8.0
    8-9 12 8.0-9.0
    9-10 14 8.0-9.0
    10-11 8 7.0-8.0
    11-12 10 7.0-8.0