I think I am afraid to lose weight...

Options
I need to lose around 80 lbs- and really want to lose the weight, but I think I am afraid to lose weight. I see pictures on here and other areas where people have lost alot of weight and they have hangning skin. This is horrible- but i think they look worse. I don't want to look like that on my arms and stomach. It is horrible I know. I know being thinner will make me healthy and live longer with my kids. It is a vanity issue- which if you saw me and how I dress- I am in no way vain.

Something is holding me back...

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    80 lbs will not give you much if any sagging skin. Especially if you lose it slow and steady instead of super fast. You'll be ok.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Plus, you will be wearing clothing much of the time (I assume) so most people won't see if you have a litte loose skin.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    80lbs will probably not leave you with sagging skin -- PLUS I have seen so many people who have lost well over 100lbs on here who look toned an amazing! You have to make sure to do strength training so you will tone up.... don't be afraid, go for it!!

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 199 -- lost 104.4lbs
    29y/o female 5'6''

GW 160
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the same way! I fear the lose skin since I've been overweight for so long.

However, I'd rather have a bit of extra skin and stretch marks as my battle scars than be overweight.

Do weights, they can help to tighten the muscles and therefore tighen the skin/make it look tighter. And as the above poster said, lose slowly so your skin will adjust. Lose quick and you will most likely have saggy skin :(
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i agree with coils, but i think there may be more to this issue. when i was fat i didnt have to put myself out there. i didnt get any attention from men. it was comfortable. i was happy. now it is hard to deal with a lot of the attention. my husband gets jealous, i never get left alone it seems. but i finally got my head to catch up. and it is hard work. i have a quote on my board i found on another thread and use it to remind me how far i have come. Losing weight is hard, being fat is hard, maintenance is hard, choose your hard!
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You should try to think up a better excuse, because that one is kind of dumb.

Sorry, sister, you're beautiful. And a little loose skin isn't so bad. If it doesn't pop back after a year and you've kept the weight off, have it surgically removed. Being fit and healthy will feel so much than being 80 lbs overweight. You'll be glad you did!
  • dirtbaby13
    dirtbaby13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts- if the weight is lost slow and steady and you work out you shouldn't have any issues. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't worry about vanity over health!~
    5438405.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, 80 lbs is my ultimate goal too. I'm a little over a 1/3 of the way there now, and so happy I did! You might find a stopping point you like along the way and that's great! But, I think you'll find that if you lose it slowly, workout hard and do a lot of toning work, you will not experience much of the downfalls of weight loss and be much happier! Plus, what's more important, how you look or how much time you will be alive to spend with your kids?? as nike would say "Just Do It!"
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Strength training is definitely the way to go if you don't want saggy skin. I read somewhere by building the muscle underneath, it helps support your skin. Just make sure you do it slowly and healthy.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. Something holds you back but you don't know what it is. I think part of it for me is that I've NEVER been a small person. I've always been big and I'm somewhat comfortable with that. But then there are the times when it's embarrassing to be the one at the pool that wants to be covered up cuz I'm surrounded by all these teeny tiny girls in bikinis. I always feel like they are staring at me wonder why I'm there.

I finally decided that I'd rather be comfortable and healthy and in order to do that, I have to lose the excess weight. It's a challenge but it's doable.

And the whole extra skin thing... My best friend lost 120 pounds in a year and a half counting calories and exercising every day. Guess what? No extra skin. She did both cardio and strength training and dropped to a size 10-12. She looks amazing and is my total inspiration. If she can, I can. So don't worry about that. Eat right and exercise and the rest should take care of itself.
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    I am scared of that too...I'm worried about my face having the harsh lines from losing a lot of weight. Most people (women) have them. I have started using a Clinique product for wrinkles and I don't have them!! I'm so afraid that I will, I just want to be doing what I can to assure that I don't get wrinkles or "parentheses around my mouth". I'm debating having surgery just for this reason...I have lost weight, but I have a hundred more to go, so I'm wondering if I can do this on my own.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i was SOOOO scared of that before, and it still bothers me a little. but even with all that extra skin, it looks a million times better. lose the weight slowly, and when you get closer to your goal, start toning. you'll be fine...and even if you're not, maybe insurance might cover the surgery. i have a couple good pairs of spanks, and it's no big deal at all lol. trust me, it will be fine!
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started in May 2011 and have lost a lil over 80 pounds and I really dont have any loose skin. I have always worked out nothing vigorous just some cardio and free arm weights at first. You will be fine...
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i once lost about 150 lbs (which i regained). I didn't expect the sagging skin and it was a huge disappointment because i had dreamed of being in a bathing suit, etc...but in the end, if you have it, at least you are healthy and can someday have it removed...and well, just like being worried about looking "fat" and wearing longer sleeves or no shorts, you'll wear clothes that don't show it so much.

I do agree with everyone that you probably won't have much being younger with 80lbs to lose...

I do relate on the "something holding you back"....i think a lot of us have that...maybe it's just fear of failure, maybe it's not knowing how to live as a "thin" person....but hon, don't let it stop you!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 71lbs...7ish more to go. I have loose tummy skin..but I had 2 babies via c section. I still have bat wings. I hope the last 7lbs is in my tummy and arms! Bottom line...being healthy overrides a little loose skin love :)
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Weight Train Weight Train Weight Train!!!

LOL

Ive lost over 70lbs (20 prior to starting My Fitness Pal) and I do not have any hanging skin... Its important to Tone as you Loose.
    Heck even if you loose 70, its better than not loosing any! AND no hanging skin, and a healthy you! :)

Good Luck
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think that you have a lot of great advice here... and it all depends on how your skin reacts and how much weight training you incorporate...but all that being said, you can get a nip or tuck later..or a lot of less evasive treatments. The most important thing is you health and carrying 80 extra pounds is just making your heart work harder...
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Seriously, lose it slowly and make sure to exercise. I went for a few months barely eating because I was so anxious all the time and ended up losing 50 pounds in about 2 months. I hate the way I look (especially my arms) and I know I can fix it by going to the gym, but it's still upsetting to see in the mirror. It makes me feel like I haven't really lost any weight.

We have the opposite problem though. I'm absolutely terrified of gaining weight. It is the scariest thing in the world to me.
  • katinka13
    Options
    if you lose weight slowly and exercise regularly loose skin shouldn't be a problem - especially because you're still young.
  • Bella3119
    Options
    Sweetie, what you are doing is using an invalid excuse as to why you shouldn't even try. Fear of Failure.

Like I have a test in May. I try to study, however I am so afraid of failing the test that I don't study. I then fail the test.

You (and I and we) have to keep the positive thoughts in the forefront of our mind. Focus on small goals, Learn new routines to make exercising fun.

WE CAN DO THIS MAN!!!