Do you have a healthy relationship with food?

Options
13»

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I believe I have a very healthy relationship with food, but I've been thinking about it and I agree very much with the below.
    I guess it's a a double-edged sword, the obsessive tendencies are actually the key to success, but it's still an obsession.

Do you regularly take diet breaks where you stop tracking?

Yeah, I take 2 vacations per year that are a week long, and a 2-3 more "long weekends" where I don't track anything. Crucial for my sanity, but also a good reminder of what my diet would be like if I was left to my own devices, lol.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Most of the time, I am eating things that are in packages. That stuff is what we are supposed to stay away from, and that is the truth. Doesn't matter if you "can have a little bit." Processed foods are bad for humans. Anyway, I try to eat more vegetables and fruits and meat, but it's hard when you are a college student, living in an apartment, and not getting paid much to buy good food. Most of the time I don't have a proper meal. I'm still trying to lose weight, going to the gym and all... but trust me, this is hard. For me, anyway. I'll bet there are people who have it worse... and I hope that they will have a better time soon. :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I love food, it loves me back by nourishing my body. I try not to eat too much junk but I do enjoy it once in a while. My main goal is to be healthy, I'm not so focused on losing weight or being a specific size. So I never deny myself food if I'm hungry. I fully enjoy good food and don't go in for that "diet food" crap. I also love coming up with new recipes and cooking delicious foods.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I do now, I :heart: my food so much!!!

it took about 3 years for me to develop this wonderful relationship I have with my food, but it was worth it.
    I used to be addicted to refined carbs and sugar but that was 112 lbs ago. Now I eat sugar snap peas, nuts and from time to time oatmeal raisin cookies and have had cheese cake too.
    I eat now to love my body and make it stronger and healthier. I don't care for the refined carbs any more, they just don't satisfy. No matter how much I eat I never get full, and I like feeling full (not about to burst full, but my body is happy and will have what it needs till next meal).
    I do notice that even though I am much smaller now I actually feel pudgy in my face and no not the I am so fat pudgy, but the I am healthy and beautiful pudgy (I have cheeks, nice breast and a cute *kitten* to boot!). I feel that although lifting weights does give my body more shape, my diet also helps give my body the healthy feminine shape it has.

I post this to my MFP friends a lot and I will here too.
    I :love: what healthy food and lifting heavy does to my body!!!
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    No...I can barely remember what I have to do for the day, but I can tell you exactly how many calories I have left and how much water I have had to drink. It effects my mood often.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Yeah, I take 2 vacations per year that are a week long, and a 2-3 more "long weekends" where I don't track anything. Crucial for my sanity, but also a good reminder of what my diet would be like if I was left to my own devices, lol.

When cutting I was doing 1 day/week of not tracking. During my bulk I started out not taking a day off because I don't get any physiological benefit from it (Leptin is an arguable topic but I believe there's at least some evidence that a maintenance/small surplus day on a cut can be physiologically beneficial--- I can't see any physiological reason to do it while at a surplus).

Anyways, about 2 months into my bulk I finally caved and decided I still needed the occasional break just for mental reasons.

I'm totally on board with this topic and I think it's bordering nutty behavior to meticulously track everything.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    The other weird effect I'm noticing is the more I track... and the more I track.
    In the end tracking everything drives me even more crazy. Just right now I had a mini crave - I was eating - logging - eating - logging - cheking the calories - eating- logging.
    How sane is that ?
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Trigger warning, just fyi.

Absolutely not. I have an awful relationship with food. Repeated binges when I'm depressed with no purging, then when I'm in a normal state I refuse to eat or binge with purging (usually over-exercising). Having an ED is the most horrible life-consuming, anxiety-inducing state anyone could ever be in. It doesn't matter what anyone tells me, the way I see myself doesn't change. I think I look exactly the same now around 110 as I did 80-90 pounds ago. Food sucks. Maybe. Or maybe ED sucks. I want to be able to enjoy food, but I can't because it has this hold over me and how I view myself.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

When cutting I was doing 1 day/week of not tracking. During my bulk I started out not taking a day off because I don't get any physiological benefit from it (Leptin is an arguable topic but I believe there's at least some evidence that a maintenance/small surplus day on a cut can be physiologically beneficial--- I can't see any physiological reason to do it while at a surplus).

Anyways, about 2 months into my bulk I finally caved and decided I still needed the occasional break just for mental reasons.

I'm totally on board with this topic and I think it's bordering nutty behavior to meticulously track everything.

I'm a lot better than I used to be. I track most things, but I also hesitate to estimate and move on when necessary. Maybe I can progress to the point where I'm estimating most things (If MFP would ever allow me to quick add in macros)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Trigger warning, just fyi.

Absolutely not. I have an awful relationship with food. Repeated binges when I'm depressed with no purging, then when I'm in a normal state I refuse to eat or binge with purging (usually over-exercising). Having an ED is the most horrible life-consuming, anxiety-inducing state anyone could ever be in. It doesn't matter what anyone tells me, the way I see myself doesn't change. I think I look exactly the same now around 110 as I did 80-90 pounds ago. Food sucks. Maybe. Or maybe ED sucks. I want to be able to enjoy food, but I can't because it has this hold over me and how I view myself.

i-know-that-feel-bro-i-know-that-feel-thumb.jpg

I agree on many parts. The direct effect I notice from ED to my life - if how much zombie-time-drainning it is. Looks like everything's starting to slowly evolves around it :laugh:
  • swood0114
    Options
    I absolutely love food and exercise, I'm a great cook (if I do say so myself,) and I'm even a little bit of a foodie. But no, I know I don't have a healthy relationship with food. As much as a "love" it, its still a battle every day and I get so obsessed thinking about it and counting calories and planning my next meal that it literally distracts me from getting things done. Sometimes I feel like its all I think about! I envy my friends who can say "wow I totally forgot to eat all day until now!" (And they don't say that out of any restrictive behavior, they literally just plain were not thinking about it!

I love this site, but it doesn't help. Logging calories only encourages obsessive behavior, but for people like me its a much healthier way to gain control rather than turning to other strategies to lose weight.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a a double-edged sword, the obsessive tendencies are actually the key to success, but it's still an obsession.

Here's a perspective.

Maybe a stupid one, but still a perspective. :wink:

I track all of my money, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessive about it. I just care about it, want to know where it goes, and help ensure I'm on a financial path in line with my objectives.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always hear people say they are emotional eaters--I never related to that. I've never been one to sit down and eat a whole bag of chips or a box of cookies. I've had weight issues because I love food--good food. I love to cook and am very interested in foods from all over the world, exploring markets, trying new preparations, etc. My problem isn't mindless snacking, it's second and third portions! I don't get "comfort" from it, it simply tastes good :-)

This is me, too. While thinking about this question I realized that I'm not sure I really know how to just be "normal" about food. I think (since I got to the age where weight could start to become an issue for me) that I'm almost always either being really careful about what I eat or I'm eating way too much junk food. Not binging, but just enjoying six brownies for an evening snack instead of one. (To me that isn't binging, I guess, since there's no emotion involved and I'm not doing what I'd call stuffing myself.) The thought of eating one brownie doesn't really appeal to me, so if I know I need to be careful right now I will just stop making brownies entirely until I'm back where I want to be again. Then I feel like I can go and have the six that I really wanted instead. I'm not sure this is so great.
  • Icedancer94
    Options
    Nope, I know I don't...