2 pounds a week weightloss

Options
For the people that have been loosing 2 pounds a week on average, please tell me what you've been doing. I am new to this and need all the help and knowledge I could get regarding loosing weight. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• spauldgal
    spauldgal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I could use some help as well. I've been on MFP for weeks now and lost 2 pounds only to gain 1 back. I'm walking 5 miles a day (tracking it on Fitbit), eating between 1000-1200 calories a day, drinking lots of water. What is my problem? I will also be very interested in the answers to newday332's post - I need help! Thank you!
  • julie84db
    julie84db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First of all make sure your eating at least 1200 net calories (this includes eating back at least half or all your exercise calories) per day in order to prevent your body into starvation mode. You body needs at least 1200 per day ( even more if you are active) in order to function, if you dot not give it the calories it needs it will start to store fat. By staying above an healthy net calories intake, drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of fibre, this will improve tyhe chance of you losing an healthy weight loss of 0.5 - 2lbs per week.
  • spauldgal
    Options
    Thank you. I don't know about newday332, but I don't think I'm eating enough calories. What do you suggest as the best way to get the extra calories? I'm not sure I can stuff down any more food...protein drinks? I feel like all I ever do it eat, but maybe I need more calorie-rich foods. I know too much fruit is not good - I'm also trying to watch my carbs. Anyway, thanks for your help.
  • kschudy
    Options
    bump
  • JamesLoveforLife
    Options
    Julie, you are completely right! I never let my net calories get below 1200. I shoot for a target food goal of 1850 gross cals per day, and anywhere from 350 to 600 calories burned in daily exercise 6 days a week. Over the past two months, I have found that when my net calories are between 1300 and 1500, I am loosing the 2 lbs per week, and by weight I mean body fat. I know I am builing muscle becasue of the exercise plan I am using (and I can just see the muscles...duh...LOL). One week I kept my cals at 1850 and missed two days of exercise in a row (work and family get in the way lol), and still lost two pounds that week. I listened to my body, which said I needed rest and not exercise and felt my body recover so that after those two days, I had more energy and strength to be even more productive in my exercising.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for ways to add calories but not quantity of food switch to higher calorie options of the same foods. Low fat yogurt and milk rather than non-fat. But watch your macros (fat in particular if you go that route).
  • julie84db
    julie84db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could always a handful of nuts which are quite high in calories but a great source of protein after a workout, another thing could be to drink a glass of milk if you have any calories left at the end of the day, this is also excellent source of protein and calcium. personally I've never used protein drinks so cannot give advice of them apart from I prefer to eat naturally sourced protein after a workout.
  • ashliehawk
    Options
    So we only pay attention to the NET calories? Like my goal is 1200 and yesterday my food was 1610 exercise -600 and my net calories was only 1010. I guess it just confuses me about the total food of 1610 being over my goal of 1200 well not confuse me because I get what everyone is saying I guess well idk maybe I just don't like seeing my food calories over my goal. I need to work harder and make sure to get at least 1200 NET calories in but that is alot of food..LOL
  • spauldgal
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone - thank you. I hope this is also answering newday332's question. I really did not mean to take over her post. I'm new and really not sure of the protocol. I probably should have posted my own question...sorry newday332!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Read and follow:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Note - a steady 2lbs a week is hard to sustain, if not impossible. It's more likely you'll lose nothing one week and 2lb the next. I find weight loss doesn't follow any sort of steady pattern, it moves in sporadic, tectonic bursts as your body alters.
  • newday332
    newday332 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Spauldgal u didn't take over. We have the same question so I don't mind at all :smile: Great feedback guys.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever reach my goal of 1200. I do not exercise. I always lose at least my 2lb per week. It is different for each person, but as long as you are netting your 1200 or close to it, you should be fine.
  • newday332
    Options
    So i should be paying the most attention to my net calories....not my goal? My net should be at my goal or slightly above it but never below????
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you only have 40lbs to lose 2lb/week is too aggressive of a weight loss plan, and you will most likely end up losing lean muscle along with fat if you stick with it. Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So i should be paying the most attention to my net calories....not my goal? My net should be at my goal or slightly above it but never below????

Your net is your goal
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you have to lose also - if you donthave a lot to lose - expecting a loss of 2lbs a week might be pushing your body too much. I used to see 2lbs a week in the beginning of the journey - but now its usually 1.5lbs at most. Eat more - sounds like your body isnt getting much!!!!

I eat NET 1400calories
    I burn 500-1000 calories most days in exercise
    I workout 5-6 days a week
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you only have 40lbs to lose 2lb/week is too aggressive of a weight loss plan, and you will most likely end up losing lean muscle along with fat if you stick with it. Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Interesting thanx! :happy:
  • kimknerr
    Options
    I am about ready to pull my hair out with this net calorie stuff. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and just don't get it. If anyone can help that would be great. I always thought eat 1200 a day and then exercise. This will cause a deficit and you will loose. uggghhh
  • newday332
    Options
    Very helpful!